April 15th, 2008
4 months ago

Obama dons flag pin once again

CNN

Watch Sen. Obama in Washington, Pennsylvania Tuesday.

WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania (CNN) –- For the first time since a mini dust-up back in October, Democrat Barack Obama wore an American flag pin Tuesday at a town hall meeting with veterans in Pennsylvania.

But he didn't show up wearing the pin–instead, a Vietnam era veteran presented it to him on the ropeline as Obama made his way to the podium at the start of the event.

"I was just handed this," Obama said. "It's a flag pin. I think I'll go ahead and put that on."

He then did just that.

"I appreciate your service," Obama told Philip Fiumara, Jr., a Vietnam era veteran and undecided voter, according to the campaign.

"Thank you so much. It means a lot coming from you, and we are grateful to you."

This is the first time Obama has worn a flag pin on his lapel since it was widely reported last fall that he had stopped wearing one.

At the time, Obama said, "My attitude is that I'm less concerned with what you're wearing on you lapel than what's in your heart. You show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those ones who serve."

1. Larry Buchas

Hallellujah! Thank God!

Barack, please wear it with pride. Maybe we all can wear it again with pride?

April 15, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  2. bad idea

Obama lied when he said his mother was on a food stamp when he growing up.the truth is His mom abandoned him in 1972 to his grandparents but t ook his half sister with her and returned back to Indonesia.It was his grandparents who send him to elite expensive private school.Obama never suffered nor even been on food stamp.The only thing he suffered is feeling of abadoment of his parents.But hen Obamamies will listen to him like as thou hes a jesus..never make mistakes

April 15, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  3. Independent

What a joke! And this guy is running for president?

He does not even respect our country enough to wear the flago on his lapel. Must be a bitter man.

April 15, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  4. Gary, Los Angeles

This is a MAJOR set-up. Don't you always accuse your opponents of doing this? You now want to save face, so you're going to try to make a "touching" moment out of this. What a nice guy. NOT! Your true colors have shown true. It was just a matter of time.

Hillary 2008!

April 15, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  5. Fonzi, an independent.

Yes, I agree with you Senator Obama. Our actions are a reflection of the workings of our heart, manifested by how we relate to one another. Just like the seed of the fruit is in the fruit. The seed may not be known until it bears fruits.

You cannot be patriotic and at the same time treat a fellow patriot (citizen) with scorn and contempt. Your patriotism should reflect on your respect and support of your fellow citizien and the laws of the nation. Wearing a lapel is good and symbolic but should be re-inforced or brought to realism by our actions.

April 15, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  6. AnnaMarie

I am an independent voter.

Hillary LIED straight up to the American people.. I can't stand that..

Barack I saw in Montana twice and Hillary once in Montana. Barack was electric and honest.. Hillary was a platform dull..

My life of being able to vote has been a two family party in the whitehouse. I don't want that either. Both of the families have lied to the American people when in the Whitehouse.

Thank you to the vietnam vet who handed Barack the pin. My brother was in nam and he came back so different and recluse. I can't imagine what a 15 month tour of duty of the men and women of Iraq and Afganastan has done to them.
    Let's end the war in Iraq responsibly..

So to America... Yes We Can...

April 15, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  7. Annamica, OH

He then did just that.

Hahahaha....thanks for the play by play cnn. What else would the man do with it? Throw it on the ground and stomp it? That desperate for news huh? LOL.

Hillary 08

April 15, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  8. Sky Gray

My name is Sky Gray born in Phoenix, Arizona 1978. I'm thirty years old, a frist time voter in my life. My wife is a Independent , Independents in Arizona dont get to vote in my state. Unless you decide Dem or Rep, but the theme is that their are more Independents are going to vote for Obama when it counts most, coming from a Independent my self. I'm glad to be a Independent because we get to decide who we think has the best qualities, not be commited to either party Dems or Reps. My family in Arizona has 253 members who have not had a chance to vote yet, because were all frist time voters who tried to vote on sweet tuesday but didn't get the chance because we were to late. We had to register thirty days in advance, So we are waiting for the Primes to cast our votes. I watch CNN every day, Jack has your back, also Roland even though he's a Republican. Lou Dobbs, Gloria, Cambel are making it hard for you on your quest to the white house, God Bless them. Romans 3:23 For all have sined, but come short for the glory of God. Obama 09 President

April 15, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  9. lol

lol....Americans are so funny...how is wearing a flag pin or not make u a better president or for that matter a better American??????? No logic there!! Dearest George Bush wore his pin and we all know how patroitic he turned out to be and just how much he did to make Americans safe........NOT!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  10. Michiel W

So now, after the dust up over his recent "cling" and "bitter" remarks, to deflect he puts on a flag pin? Senator Obama is a fraud. He has made it plain he will say or do whatever he thinks his current audience wants to hear or see. He panders to whoever is in attendance. Talk about someone who will say or do anything to get the nomination! Anyone who thinks he is a new kind of politician, is just plain deluded! And anyone who thinks the Republicans will not tear him into tiny little pieces during the general election in for a big surprise. If he should get the nomination, he will lose in November.

April 15, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  11. Dan, TX

God bless Barack Obama.

It was my pleasure to vote for you in Texas. Caucus at my precinct for you. And caucus at the county convention for you. We weren't far from the George Bush Presidential library, and you beat Hillary 60%/40% in both the primary and caucus.

I want someone who cares about all of us. I will fight to make sure you win our county over McCain this fall, sir!

April 15, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  12. bill pike

I'M BITTER AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THE CLINTONS ANYMORE. I am a vet and i don't wear a pin--i worked for years with children in the inter cities and i don't wear a pin. FROM THE ABUNDANCE OF THE HEART THE MOUTH SPEAKS, NOT A PIN.

April 15, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  13. SDL - Utah

"Yes We Can" – That's the real message. Yes, we can heal America together. It's going to take more than one person and that is the main message Senator Barack Obama is trying to relay to all of "America."

Give him a chance to facilitate the knowledge, skills, and abilities that we know American's possess. Synergize is what it's called.

Senator Barack Obama possesses the determination to deal with the cultural diversity of American's and the skills to direct our Country toward effective problem solving and innovative resolutions.

Let's not be fooled by the distractions that are inherent to political campaigning.

"We The People – Yes We Can" (Sen. Obama for President of the USA)

April 15, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  14. Luci Lui

It's true ... you can wear a flag pin and tell lies ... Bush ... Clinton ... Bush Sr. ... Mr. Clinton .. Cheney ...

It's about what's in your heart and your head, not whose in your wallet.

Obama 2008 and 2012

April 15, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  15. BJ

Great spin and script writing Obama! Brilliant, I have to admit. How else could he have donned it, without people asking "why" all of a sudden.

I hope you pay your spin masters well, because they have saved your candidacy numerous times.

April 15, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  16. jerry

we join and die in the military to have jerks like this run for pres,
    what a joke

April 15, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  17. Desiree

He is so phoney.

April 15, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  18. Retired Professional w/woman for obama

Obama, Keep it on, Please. Let's not give them any more reason
    to vote for Hillary, the monster!

April 15, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  19. garcia

go obama, i can hardly wait for the primary. quit bashing obama, cnn. i like to watch chris matthews and keith olderman, they are the best newscaster on tv. hilliary take another shot of whiskey. i know waiting moderation.

April 15, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  20. Nick - Arlington, VA

.....and here come the haters.....who will claim that by not wearing a pin he is obviously un-american.....the ridiculous double standard we all hold up to our politicians, because obviously all of us wear flag pins everyday because we are Americans....in case some of you believed me, that was sarcasm.

April 15, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  21. Roxanne NY

Now that we have him wearing the flag pin, would he also throw wright under the bus instead of his granny, put his hand over his heart when the national anthem is said, would he not think that middle americans are bible thumping, gun-toting, anti-immigrant, anti-trade, racists bigots?

The mask is off Mr. Snobama. You said what you said when you thought no one would hear and we know what you said. We have now all seen you behind your mask, and you are ugly!

April 15, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  22. Grif

It was all pre arranged, no doubt.. Look at me, I'm Tricky Dee. Oh lookey here, could this be Ole Glory...

April 15, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  23. Dave

Good for him. I hope he keeps wearing it as a sign of respect for the veteran who gave it to him.

April 15, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  24. KE

In the general election America will be one America and that will be "patriotic America" not "bitter and angry America" or "downright mean America" or "arrogant America" but "proud America. If media try to sell one candidate over the other candidate there will be more rejections.

There have been many misinformation and misrepresantations on the air and don't tell us that the viewers can't tell. Media has ignored so many signs already. It is refreshing once in a while to see someone who could speak their mind.

April 15, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  25. June

Well said Senator Obama. I think that holds true for many things, People can wear pins and wave bibles at you but who knows what's in their hearts My father told me as a child "truly good people don't have to beat you over the head with their beliefs....their actions should make it abundantly clear." I wish you well.

April 15, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |