April 15th, 2008

Obama: I'm no elitist

Obama laughed off charges he is an elitist.
Obama laughed off charges he is an elitist.

WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Barack Obama said Tuesday he was "amused" by accusations he is an "elitist" in the wake of the 'bitter-gate' controversy.

"It is true I am amused about this notion of elitist," Obama said, citing the fact that he was raised by a single mother, lived off food stamps, earned scholarships, and had to finance his own law school education.

"[Michelle and I] lived for the first 13 years of marriage up until three years ago, in a three bedroom condo without a garage," the White House hopeful said. "So if you live in Chicago, that means you are scraping ice every morning."

Hillary Clinton has called Obama "elitist" and "out of touch" for remarks he made at a fundraiser where he referred to some Pennsylvanians as "bitter" people who "cling to guns and religion."

During a veterans town hall near Pittsburgh, one man said that the way the word "elitist" had been used against Obama.

"As a white person, this term [elitist] the way that it is being used against you, it isn't far from uppity and I think the Clintons are getting away with something that they must be called on," the man said, adding that he thought the controversy would continue until someone told Clinton she was "close to prejudice here, this is wrong..."

The Illinois senator responded by blaming politics and the "silly season" for the controversy, but told the questioner he did not believe there were "racial overtones" to the recent attacks.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. D.Kimbro OHIO

Hello Hillary, I am an Ohio vendor, where is my MONEY. I want my Money NOW!!!! You can give me a check from the $109 million account.

April 15, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  2. Sensible Thinker in CA

Ok, let's all take a reality check here...

So many of you Clinton backers (which I was just two months ago) keep saying to those who support Obama:

"Wake up and see Obama for who he really is!"

Despite all the slinging and criticism about the meaning of his recent spoken words - which by the way were all dimissed as "just flowery words" when they were positive and uplifting, but are factual and condemning when they are in any way negative - Obama has shown that he genuinely seeks to do the right things, apologize for his faults, and SPEAK HONESTLY.

Sen Clinton, on the other hand, has DEMONSTRATED that she will DO AND SAY ANYTHING to advance her position at any point in time - including flat out LIE.

So I ask you, who would you really TRUST to lead this country?

Sensible thinkers trust Obama.

April 15, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  3. Harvey in Va

Obama is out of touch.........the only thing out of his mouth is I was a communtiy organizer...we are tired of hearing that as we were tired of hearing Henry Hyde saying what will I tell my grandchildren

April 15, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. vic nashville,Tn

If you ask Obama Are you African American ? There will be two answer
    1) If he around by African American the answer is yes
    2) If he around by White folks his answer is My mom is white
    He changed his colors
    If you ask Obama Are you Muslim or Christian He will say both
    I have doubt he lie about attending catholic school In Indonesia
    Please quit the race Obama

April 15, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. emile

If Obama is an ellitist, then what are the Clintons???
    That's a bunch of nonsense!

April 15, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  6. Susan from Florida

The Obamas lived in a three bedroom condo and had to scrape ice off their car windows in the winter. OMG–they were practically living in a hovel.

April 15, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. BigAce

Rezko, Reverend Wright, Bitter? Is this what the Clintonians are hanging their hopes on to try and detract from Obama. Please, Please give me some factual information on illegal deals with Rezko, show me that Reverend Wright constantly preached hate mongering over this 20 year period, give me evidence of elitist behaviour exhibited by Obama.

Nothing. As I thought, all talk and wishful thinking.

To Steve: Rich Grandparents?? Huh, where did you get that info. Please post. I've always heard of those welfare mom's putting themselves through the humiliation of getting food stamps rather that mooching off their rich parents.

April 15, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Carlos Giller

At that level they are all elitist, aren't they??

April 15, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. Huntingdon PA

Obama is an elitist.

He went to the most expensive schools.

His wife is a joke.