April 15th, 2008

Reid jokes Dem race making him 'bitter'

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid joked on Thursday said the sharp back-and-forth of late between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama is having an effect on him.

"It makes me bitter," the Nevada Democrat said, invoking Obama's controversial comments that sparked strong criticisms from Clinton and Republican John McCain.

Reid went on to call the prolonged Democratic "healthy for our party," and predicted, "This is all going to be over fairly soon."

Filed under: Harry Reid
  1. Juanita

I want Oregon's primary to mean something....what I don't know but I'd like the campaigning to continue until we have had our election.
    The games will continue....Hilary will never step away, never.

April 15, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  2. Belal

Hillary showed us the ungraceful face of her legacy in a "would be future" President post. She is awfully devisive and if she comes to the White House, we will have a CLINTON CIRCUS SHOW IN WASHINGTON.

April 15, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  3. Diane S.

I'm sick and bitter, too. As a woman whose birth state is Pennsylvania, I'm sick and bitter at all of the pummelling of Hillary, and the pandering of Obama.

Any time Hillary misspeaks, she is pummeled - by the media hatefuls who look into the TV lens with a lascivious gleam in their eyes and try to tell us how bad a President she would be, and that she can't get to the magical delegate count.

When Obama misspeaks - his media lackies make apologies and try to tell us what he meant by what he said, as if we were stupid or didn't have ears. And, all the while, Obama's people keep getting on TV, acting like political pundits, saying Hillary should get out of the race. Yet, he can't get to the magic delegate count, either.

Well, I have news for you Hillary bashers. She IS better than Obama on any, and every, level. She IS the only one qualified to be the President of the U.S.A. And, I don't care how many hundreds of millions Oprah pours into his campaign (and don't tell me she doesn't) Obama will never rightfully EARN the nomination.

April 15, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  4. The truth hurts

Ed Rendell called Pa voters racist and nobody had an issue. Obama says people are bitter. Does anyone know what the definition of bitter is? If nobody was bitter we wouldn't be arguing over Bush and his policies. We wouldn't have issues with gas prices and the economy. Bush's approval rating is 28% so does that mean the other 72% are happy or bitter?

April 15, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. CM Rickard

I am heart sick seeing the “Gotcha” politics being played by the Clintons. I started out strongly for Clinton, went to a “they are both great candidates” position. Now after the nasty turn the Clinton’s campaign has taken, I am 100% behind Obama and will never vote for Clinton. I will vote for McCain first.

April 15, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  6. Steve

When is soon? I'm a democrat and I've had enough with this race. I wanted Hillary. I tried to like Obama. Now I'm a fan of neither. This November I will likely do what many other democrats are considering and vote for McCain. This was the democratic partys chance to shine, and that chance is going the way of Howard Dean and his 2004 presidential bid. Between him, Pelosi, and Reid the party actually has worse leadership than the republicans. Go figure

April 15, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  7. Jim From Tustin

Let them both remain in the gutter battling it
    out till the end. Neither have anything to offer other
    than higher taxes and bigger government anyway!

April 15, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  8. ALBO

Factually, Mr. REID, it seems to be too late. The attacks of HILLARY to
    OBAMA are not directed on issues, which after the nomination could be forgotten and her supporters would be willing to vote for him once
    nominated, but directly sTATING he is not fit to be President, by lack of experience, elitsm and whatever. AND UNFORTUNATELY, HER FANATIC, REALITY BLIND FOLLOWERS, ESPECIALLY THE SEXIST
    MOTIVATED WOMEN AND LOW EDUCATED SECTORS OF THE POPULATION, BELIEVE THIS.

So, other than in past ocasion, persons now saying they will abstain
    or vote GOP if OBAMA is nominated WILL DO SO REALLY in a good percentage

It is ironic tha the CLNTONS are trying to exploit this fact by arguing
    HILLARY is more electible. But of course she forgets that if she has
    given the GOP so many arguments to attack OBAMA, the GOP will
    have EVEN a much easier task attacking her personally and by her TRUE record. READ THE ARTICLE by CARL BERNSTEIN !!

But even more negative for HILLARY is a fact one poster wrote about:

"""I CAN NOT STAND THIS WOMAN, THE MORE I SEE HER MORE --I HATE HER"

Even if here exagerated, her transparent lack of sincerity, artificial laughter, the hundred of "I'es" and reitereted half-truths or plain lies have the effect to turn away voters.

POSSIBLY OBAMA, WITH HIS ATTRACTION, MAY BE ABLE TO COMPENSATE THE DAMAGE INFLICTED BY HILLARY BEFORE
    THE ELECTION, BUT THE CAPTIONED "ANTI-ATTRACTION" OF
    HILLARY WILL CERTAINLY NOT BE ABLE TO DO SO !

TOM ALBO

April 15, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  9. Independant

Go for it Annie Oakley , then when you are President, you can settle the score with Harry, OBama , put them on Latrine Duty , at Midimum Wage . See If that will , UH! make them feal at home. Can't stand the heat, , tell em to play mumble peg. Hire a RED NECK to learn them . OR sit back an listen to them whine , among Wright , Rezko ,
    for Quier leaders.

Go Hillary Gooo .

April 15, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  10. dave

I don't understand why Hillary is still in the Democratic primary. She clearly is no longer a Democrat.

Hillary Clinton (D) – Divisive. Dishonest. Disgraceful.

April 15, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  11. mary

I find it very hard to believe that HILLARY is acting very unprofessional and childish during this campaign. To be a presidential candidate is a very prestigious and serious position to compete in and she's treating it like she's applying for a job as a target range shooter. I think the presidential race should be based on the American people's issues and should be won in an honest and truthful way. Not lying or exaggerating or fabricating stories to lure people to vote for you. Also negative ads should be prohibited, etc. If we want the other countries to look up to us then the campaign should be run in a mature and professional manner. Lately this campaign has been very disgusting to alot of people in this country and abroad. It seems that running for president is like a game, or like power play, or like power struggle. I used to watch the news about the campaign, but I don't anymore. The dirty tactics being played in the campaign takes the interests and enthusiasm out of a person, some.

April 15, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  12. michael, austin

reid is a moron

April 15, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  13. Adi

LOL. Indeed.

April 15, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  14. Bitter in PA

Do you really believe that if Obama becomes the Democratic nominee, that he will beat McCain?

You guys must be dreaming.

McCain is laughing right now because he knows he could beat Obama.

Another Republican for 4 years. How lovely. I think i'll have to move to another country.

April 15, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  15. Sick and Tired

I hate the media and their portrayal of everyone in this race. CNN is no better than Fox News with all of this sensationalism. I am extremely bitter at the media outlets for propaganda and TRASH!!!!!!!! Let's start reporting REAL NEWS!

April 15, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  16. Neutral

I am BITTER too against Obama for calling me a BIGOT! I live in a small town!

April 15, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  17. Tex-Gal

I'm a bitter Democrat too. I will not vote for OBAMA if he's the nominee. He's not in stance with American values and princples, how can anyone vote for him? He's got the major percentage of the black vote which concedes this election is turning into a racial contest, instead of a unified poitical party targeting the present domestic and international issues. This is creating divisiveness, hatred, and the end of a party representing all social levels, ideaologies, and ethnic groups. Please quit calling everyone; uneducated, ignorant, old, and narrow minded, if we don't support OBAMA. THIS IS WHY WE'RE NOT VOTING THIS TIME AROUND, IF HE WINS. THIS PARTY CAN'T FORCE A CANDIDATE ON US, JUST FOR THE SAKE OF WINNING THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION. HE'S NOT ELECTABLE.

April 15, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. OC

This whole thing is becoming a joke!
    When it's all over there will still be no legal or viable nominee who gained the requierd votes.

Obama will get killed by McCain... especially now... My vote will be worthless...

April 15, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. Sick of it in Texas

There are a lot of delusional people responding to this article. You Obamabots need to gain an understanding real quickly that Obama will never win the General election. When the Republican machine is finished with him, I doubt he will be able to run for the office of dog catcher. Then where will we all be? Under the leadership of John McCain? Is that what you all want, because that is what is going to happen?! It will be either Hillary or McCain, but never Obama.

Anytime Hillary has tried to make a point, everyone accuses her of being negative and mean. What do you all think the Republicans are going to do? I will tell you what they are going to do– take no prisoners and they won't care how much everyone cries and whines. So, continue to back Obama and watch what happens. Hillary or McCain, no other choice.

April 15, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  20. b black

As a black man. I hope that mccains wins. if hillsary steals this election. I have already gone online with every HBCU in America and I as well as several thousand yes thousands of blacks who graduated from HBCU's are in an agreement that we would all vote for john mccain if this happens. White America is being targeted by muslims all over the world and we had a forum two weeks ago and agreed that John mccain will divide this country even more and that the target of this aggression from from most of the world will be aimed at whites. We agreed to uses these tactics based off the fact that many republicans are voting for clinton to help make this a more difficult race for brother Obama. Well the way we see it, since the whole world is watching, we will help as much as we can to elect a person who will keep us in a war for a very long time. our view is that the people dying in this war are white. Why not elect someone who will cause this self distruction to continue! BLACK MEM FOR MCCAIN!

April 15, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  21. gary

YOU CLINTON HATERS SHOULD GET A LIFE. HAWKEYE . WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK O.B. IS PERFECT.? HE CAN LIE TO THE WHOLE WORLD CONSTANTLY , AND YOUNG VOTERS LIKE YOU KISS HISS -. I THINK YOU BETTER WORRY ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY ,INSTEAD OF VOTING FOR EMPTY SPEECHES. NOSTRADAMUS HAD PREDICTED THIS ELECTION ,LIKE MANY OTHER'S THAT CAME TRUE. HE PREDICTED DIVISION, HATE AND RACE.HE WAS RIGHT AGAIN. HE ALSO PREDICTED WORST ,IF THE WRONG CANIDATE GETS ELECTED. THE CHANGE YOU O.B. SUPPORTERS WANT YOU WONT RECIEVE. WHAT YOU GET YOU WONT WANT.AMERICA BETTER WAKE UP BEFORE ITS TO LATE. HE ALSO PREDICTED 911.

April 15, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  22. kelly WI

The only people who are bitter are those that are mad Gore didn't win, that Kerry didn't win and are mad at the do nothing congress they voted in after believing their campaign promises.
    They are bitter because the dem party is a joke and has suckered them.
    They are bitter because the people they think will save them are both phonies and will tax the heck out of them, lose them more jobs and blame it on someone else.
    And the same people keep voting in the same type over and over.
    They certainly aren't the JFK dems who fawned over "Ask not what your country can do for you but what You can do for Your country".
    Now its all the whiners wanting and chanting "Give me, give Me". " I want, I want".
    Give us the McCain tax cuts. Give us back the Bush tax cuts. I can choose how to spend my money my self.
    Elitism isn't how much money you have, its a mind set.
    The supers want some one to drop out because they are afraid to have to make the choice. you will see that the one they choose is the one they are most afraid of. No matter which it will be a loser in Nov.
    Whats the buzz word for next week.?
    We have the electoral college, not mob rule. We don't elect a dictator, thats why we have representatives. 3 branches of gov't.
    If you think one person can kill a party it goes to show it isn't worth saving in the first place. Voters shouldn't have voted for them in the first place.
    States that are done want a do-over. They voted to soon and have changed their minds.

McCain 08

April 15, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  23. Dolores

Go Hillary. If this was so over why does the other side keep on spending money and spreading their "bitterness"?

April 15, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |