April 15th, 2008

Reid jokes Dem race making him 'bitter'

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid joked on Thursday said the sharp back-and-forth of late between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama is having an effect on him.

"It makes me bitter," the Nevada Democrat said, invoking Obama's controversial comments that sparked strong criticisms from Clinton and Republican John McCain.

Reid went on to call the prolonged Democratic "healthy for our party," and predicted, "This is all going to be over fairly soon."

Filed under: Harry Reid
  1. looking forward

By any stretch of imagination, Obama will win the nomination. Hillary is fighting a losing battle. But it is good for the party. But let them fight decently not by tearing down each other. Do they have any major policy differences? keep focussing on them. Its about winning a game humbly and losing a game gracefully. But the contenders have gone so far down the road, it will be very difficult for the losing candidate to throw their weight on the winning nominee. Imagine the almost 50% of the losing nominee's supporters BITTER and deciding to sit out or vote for GOP.

April 15, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. Dave of Maryland

Bitter that Hillary got my vote in Maryland. She's so childish. Go Obama!

April 15, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. jeff in AL

Reid, if it weren't for DNC leaders like yourself, Dean and Pelosi, we would have a nominee by now if MI and FL had been counted. You've made millions of democratic party voters "bitter" and that's not good for the general election.

April 15, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  4. Ben Holmes

And it makes me "bitter" that Harry Reid was spineless about impeachment. That goes for "new generation" Obama and "Madam" Clinton.

They all are spineless.

April 15, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. The Corp

What a useless, limp old man. Such a typical Dem, you're all so pathetically weak. At least Hillary's got some nads!

April 15, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. Robb, New York

This bitter thing is nuts. It's been completely overblown. Obama had a reasonable point, and Hillary and McCain somehow managed to twist it into a pretzel they liked and used to to stick it to Barack. Hopefully, the people see right through this, especially Pennsylvanians, who have the privilege—should they so choose—to deal Hillary a knockout blow next Tuesday by voting for Barack Obama. Come on. How much longer must this thing go on? He's leading national polls. He's leading in delegates. He's leading in states won. He's leading in the popular vote. If she were somehow to have this thing handed to her, even Hillary lovers know that this will never fly with the rest of America. Obama's the one. Come on, PA. Get it done. Seal the deal.

April 15, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  7. vic nashville,Tn

If you endorse Hillary you won’t hear this word (bitter) in November
    Hillary 08

April 15, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  8. Dave, Seattle WA

Look no further for a proxy that stands for all that is wrong with politics – Harry Reed.

April 15, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. Martha

I think all of this will be over before long by Nov no one will what to vote everyone stay home

April 15, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  10. JohnnyO

Democrats look weak this year. Too much infighting. Turns me off.

April 15, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  11. mary-NH

I hope it is over soon and that the real race starts.

April 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. Lee

Jerry says, "HILLARY OR MCCAIN. PERIOD." The truth is, they're pretty much the same candidate.

April 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  13. Suzie M. in Las Vegas

I can't believe this is STILL going on...Hill and Bill, please quit now – you are so over.

April 15, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  14. Richard

Do you HAVE to criticize Obama using terms such as "boy"? C'mon. It shows your true colors. This isn't 1950.

April 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  15. Thomas

We Love You Hillary. Don't listen to these Bitter obamabot's.
    Don't give up at all cost.

Hillary 2008 :)

April 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  16. Geez...

People read up on some past Dem primaries. This is nothing. Relax.

April 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. zelmira

NO MORE OBAMA PLEASE

April 15, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  18. Ronnie Lopez in South Texas

Hillary reminds me of someone on trial who has semi-dressed themselves up so that they look like upstanding citizens as per their lawyers instructions. The minute the a"guilty" verdict comes in, they are carted away and a year or so later you see a follow up story on Nightline and see them incarcerated in solitary confinement due to their repugnant behavior so blatantly concealed while they were on trial. Wait till it's over–then we will see the real Hillary. I just don't trust what I see and hear. I just don't trust her at all.

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. Noah

Guess what Obama, voters in Florida and Michigan are bitter because your lawyers made their votes null and void. Guess they will now cling to guns and religion and become bigots also.

The change candidate has changed something already. His team made it clear that he doesn't care about the people in Florida and Michigan..he better "hope" they will vote if he is the nominee, but I think they will still be "bitter".

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. becky

I am thankful I do not live in NY and have to deal with her after all this. By the way... after what I have seen so far from her, I do not believe she should be a senator either....

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  21. Gary in Denver

I tried to be fair after Senator Clinton's remark. I have thought about it long and hard.

Am I bitter? Uh, Yeah!!

What do I cling to? These political tickers, that's what!!!

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. dan

All this bitterness is surely make me vote for McCain if Hilary isn't the Democratic nominee. It's clear Obama and his cultlike supporters need to get a reality check. Obama ain't ready for primetime, he'd be more of the same ole GWBush ineptness.

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. carl Indep.Mo.

you vote for obama ..your all nuts! The Republicans will take him to the cleaners.....Hillary has a better shot for the Democrats..your all fooled by the great "Messiah" ...

Hillary 08!!!!!!!!!!!

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  24. Christine

How about a new slogan, just to let Hillary know her tactics aren't working:
    "Bitter for Obama!"

April 15, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  25. Swampy

How astute. Given that the convention is in August, I'd say he's right.

April 15, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |