April 16th, 2008

Clinton campaign presses Obama on tax returns

(CNN) – On an Obama conference call Wednesday, campaign manager David Plouffe would not say whether or when the Illinois senator would be releasing his 1997-99 tax returns.

"We released our full tax returns for the entire decade, same period,” said Plouffe, adding that they would “shortly” be releasing the full 2007 returns.

But Plouffe was referring to the years 2000 through 2006, the “same period” as the returns released by Hillary Clinton’s campaign recently, after Obama did the same. The New York senator’s tax returns for the past 30 years have now been made public.

“Despite touting its commitment to transparency, the Obama campaign is apparently refusing to release Sen. Obama’s tax returns from 1997, 1998 and 1999,” the Clinton campaign said in a statement sent to reporters Wednesday afternoon. “It’s unfortunate that Sen. Obama isn’t living up to the standards he sets for everyone else.”

1. Independent

I agree with "Now for Obama"...we all need to stop listening to and responding to Clinton's sillyness...im out of aspirin...

April 16, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  2. hypocrit

Once again, Obama's double standards

April 16, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. Request for moderators

Obama's taxes were previously released to Chicago newspapers...the Tribune I think...they have not been posted on his website but they are out there...can someone at CNN please confirm this. Thank you.

April 16, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. DFoster

Everyone knows he didn't make any money in those years. I probably made more and I'm in a warehouse. He should let it be known ASAP. I'm sure it's not like ... $109,000,000.00.

April 16, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. Kc,Atlanta

The clinton's campaign should be really ashame of their silly games,jumping from ELITIST to tax return sound so childish,I wonder who advice on the camp strategist, let me guess moe from three stooges.

April 16, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |