April 16th, 2008

Clinton, Obama face off in Pennsylvania

(CNN) - Neither Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama would commit Wednesday when asked in a debate if they would take the other as their running mate should they win the nomination.

Both candidates responded to the first question of the debate with smiles, prompting laughter from the audience. After a moment, Obama said he was happy to respond.

"I think it's premature at this point for us to talk about who vice presidential candidates will be, because we're still trying to determine who the nominee will be." he said.

Clinton echoed those comments. "I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure that one of us takes the oath of office next January," she said. "I think that has to be the overriding goal, whatever we have to do."

Each candidate said they thought the other was capable of winning the presidency.

Full story

1. mark,allentown,pa

How come Hillary attack Obama on his blunders and Obama didn't attack her on her major blunders?
    Is that what makes her a better candidate than Obama?
    Just wondering........

April 17, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  2. joe,pa

The whole debate was Gotcha debate. After 20 debates, does anyone think there is anything we don't know about Hillary and Obama.
    I found Obama to be very honest regardless of what his mistakes were. I can never trust Hillary and Bill and should drop out so that Obama can get a vp and get vetted before Nov.

April 17, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  3. henry

This time I am looking for an honest leader after 8years of lies after lies. I want someone I can connect with with honesty.

April 17, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  4. Cal nig

HRC should back out of the race since she cannot beat Obama instead playing spoiler game. I guess she may be realising that Obama will be the next President hence her agreeing that one of them would be sworn in by end of the year.

April 17, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  5. mat

The debate was poorly moderated. The 1st half of the debate was in my opinoin on tabloid fodder. Considering that George Stephanoupolus was a member of the Clinton team, I'm somewhat suspect about his role. The last part of the debate was more focus but rushed simply because they spent so much time and effort on Rev Wright, bittergate, flaggate and the 60s radicals. I mean none of this helps me at the pump nor puts food on my table , etc. I think HRC exposed herself with her 'umbrella' proposal; that makes her looks worser than Bush. In order to implement that proposal, she'd have to overide the constitution. In light of the stacked format, I think Obama stood his ground and jabbed back when needed

April 17, 2008 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  6. Anthony - Dallas Texas

Obama I love you sir. But you have been taught a lesson....They are out to get you and you need to be prepared for anything.

April 17, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |