April 16th, 2008

Clinton, Obama face off in Pennsylvania

(CNN) - Neither Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama would commit Wednesday when asked in a debate if they would take the other as their running mate should they win the nomination.

Both candidates responded to the first question of the debate with smiles, prompting laughter from the audience. After a moment, Obama said he was happy to respond.

"I think it's premature at this point for us to talk about who vice presidential candidates will be, because we're still trying to determine who the nominee will be." he said.

Clinton echoed those comments. "I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure that one of us takes the oath of office next January," she said. "I think that has to be the overriding goal, whatever we have to do."

Each candidate said they thought the other was capable of winning the presidency.

Full story

1. DemocracyNow2008

Hillary was given very little hard questions even on Bosnia she was let go easy .
    Mark Penn and Columbia should have been a focus on Clinton regarding Cafta how could she not know what Mark Penn who resigned but is still a paided staffer.

It was a joke this socalled debate Obama acted above the Gutter while Hillary wanted to try and bring him into the Gutter .
    Obama was the only one trying to talk about issues that are affecting the American people.
    ABC News Charles Gibson and George Stephanopoulos should be fired from ABC News .First George Stephanopoulos is a former Clinton aide from Bill Clintons Whitehouse I see a conflict of interest having him on tonight as a Co-Moderator what was ABC News thinking?
    I will never watch ABC News again with Charles Gibson .
    Obama you have my vote for President truly after tonights big joke.

April 17, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  2. Molly

GREAT DEBATE – Thank You ABC for bringing us the facts!
    We need to know all the facts – you Finally asked Senator Obama about his questionable background – we ALL need to know.
    We already have MSNBC and CNN as obama cheerleaders – everyone knows this is true. ABC gave us REAL NEWS/FACTS.
    We are electing the President of the USA!
    Both candidates did well on the important issues – but – we did learn some new insight into Obama's background.

April 17, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  3. Michelle

Hillary looked terrible when she would constantly attack Barack. He took the high road, confronted the (non) issues, and explained why they didnt matter. He even helped her. But all she did was stop short of admitting that she LIED about Bosnia, claiming that she remembered it with "less accuracy" then what she wrote in her book. I would have called BS. Barack didnt, he took the high road.

Obama won, Hillary looked desperate.

April 17, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  4. MikeH

So I was outside the center and the Hillary supporters outnumbered Obama's supporters 4-5 to 1 and yet nonw of the media was covering it.

April 17, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  5. Mark-TX

It's such a shame that many of the Clinton and Obama supporters do not share the goals of their candidates; that is, getting a Democrat into the White House. Yes, fine, attack the candidate you like less, but vote for them if yours loses.

Granted, the only people that would probably take the time to read this are the ones that are already of this opinion, so it hardly matters that I'm saying it.

April 17, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  6. C

Venus April 16th, 2008 10:53 pm ET

It's funny that when Hillary was asked about the sniper lies – Obama tried to help by saying let's not get sucked on that issues. And – then Hillary just had to go into her attack mode on him! After all that has been said and done – I will be happy when Hillary take Bill and go home. Not the white house – but where-ever they live! Obama – just keep your foot on her neck! She is not worth saving. I am also amazed that considering the brand name of the Clintons that she is having trouble beating a so called rookie!

she just lost my vote

April 17, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  7. jamer

This was not a debate, but am ***AMBUSH***!!!

No way was the playing feild level.

Senator Clinton did not have to say a word. She had all the help she needed.

I love the way people say Obama looked weak, and confused, I guess if you was taking on sniper fire from the moderators, you would as be confused and wondering if John McCain, was going to come out and start asking questions himself.

ABC showed how not to hold a debate.

My money is still on Senator Obama!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  8. Vig

Hillary won this debate. She has a much better grasp of the issues and is tougher than Obama. Obama impresses as a nice guy with a gift for talking off the top of his head, like a word processor. And it's about time he is being asked pertinent questions about his behavior. Finally people are treating him like an equal, instead of some rock star.

April 17, 2008 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  9. Silly Season

Hillary has it all over Obama as far as the issues go, If you guys think that Obama has been picked on, just wait you haven't seen anything yet He never make it though the election the republicans will make him out to be Buckwheat with a tie!

April 17, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  10. get lost you jerks

What a shame that your blog system is such a lie!

Since you have refused to post my last 10 comments, please remove me from your blog lost. (I bet, however, that you will, in your cynicism, will publish THIS comment!)

The real loser tonight was the press/media. It's time to take these political debates out of the incompetent hands of the press/media!

April 17, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  11. William

Although they made no commitment, mark my words, whomever gets the nomination, the other will run as VP. It's the dems only hope of winning the GE.

April 17, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  12. deidre

blind bambi's.....finally someone is attacking your candidate. Get used to it. It's only going to get worse from here.

April 17, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  13. shaun

I'm a barack obama supporter 100%, but tonight I believe hillary clinton did a great job tackling the issues. Now if anyone has ever seen some of my comments then you'd know that I'm very critical of hillary and the way that she's conducted her campaign, but I'm learning to be both critical and objective because if anyones been paying attention to the policies set by the current administration, and the way they've purposely mislead the american public, then you'd agree that we the people need to be well informed, if not extremely knowledgable about everything they say and do.

On the key issues discussed tonight I think hillary was alittle clearer on her agenda for bringing change to washington, and expressed with sheer excellence and specification how she'd get it done, but what was in question was her honesty. I felt her Bosnia answer was an excuse mixed with contradiction trying to be an apology. First she lied about what actually happened saying she was under sniper fire, then she said she misspoke, then bill said it was late and that she simply mispoke because she was tired, then he said it was because she's 60 and is entitled to forget, then in the debate she finally confessed to be dishonest leading to an indirect apology which really left me with the feeling that she was just trying to get out of hot water. Before SC was dead set on voting for her...every dem was, but her kitchen sink strategy reenforced the notion in my mind that politicians are slimy and will say and do anything to get a vote. As time has elapsed she's only gotten more crooked, more deceptive and more devicive. This is why I can't vote for her. I only wish that the person who showed up tonight was the person who showed up throughout the campaign because then I would have a real choice to make, but that's not what happened. I was able to see someone as barack who not only has intuitive knowledge of whats going on with a plan on how to fix it, but I also saw a person with integrity and the judgement to be the president.

So this is why Im for barack, and I'd hope that supporters of both sides would observe the candidates by being both critical "and" objective and stop fighting between each other because in the end, its all about regaining control of the white house because our future depends on it.

April 17, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  14. texas DEM

Jeremiah Wright
    NO flag pen
    Bill Aires
    Michelle obama just now finds country good
    bitter PA

Need i SAY MORE

April 17, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  15. Dino

Regardless of which candidate you support, that was a PITIFUL excuse for a debate. I mean, .... FLAG PIN? BOSNIA SNIPERS??? How does any of that affect the unemployed person who's paying 4 bucks per gallon and has no health care? How do any of those questions stop this war?

ABC.... you failed.

April 17, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  16. Gideon

It's over – Obama won this hands down. He looked very Presidential, she looked somewhat sedated.

Now let's get on to McCain...

April 17, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  17. fred up north

So Hillary, Obama is electable!! What a revelation !!

April 17, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  18. cathy kay

Obama was a fake once a again and a fraud. Venus–who made the comments against Hillary...it's funny how full of hate you are and how angry you are...just like your bitter candiate Obama.

April 17, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  19. Grif

You seerm to have, a 'one side Archive' of 'The World!" Omaha Beach, won't live much longer in the______________ Real World!
    Wake Up.... America, or die in Boracka's Dreams...................

April 17, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  20. Gabriel

She is done. She has essentially become a 3rd party candidate, because she certainly isn't running FOR the Democratic Party, just using them to become President.

April 17, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  21. Katherine

I know why I don't trust Hillary. It is well known about 'Chubby Hubby's'
    strings of affairs, but believe me, it was a standing joke when he was in Arkansas politics. When good 'ole El Juapo' got his hand caught in the 'proverbial ' cigar box, I distinctly remember her, going on record on several talk shows, saying that she wasn't doing a Tammy Wynette, 'Standing by her Man' song. Really? Could have fooled me. To be subjected to worldwide humiliation and staying. I have to wonder for what purpose was she staying–POWER–maybe? Or does she have such low self esteem that she would stay and subject her and her daughter to such public cruelty. It makes me wonder, what kind and who would be making those important decisions at 3am, & would 'her Man' even be there in the presidential bed?

April 17, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  22. sozzi

Where was Hillary during the debate? Questioning was so one sided that it wasn't a debate. It seemed like the Clinton Campaign and Hannity has paid for this debate.

April 17, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  23. Nick - Arlington, VA

....The beat-down Obama debate....

That was pathetic and he did a great job answering and pointing out how ridiculously off-issue the questions were.

April 17, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  24. Jabbie

Clinton sounds and looks so PATHETIC on that stage. I hope this election will be over for her in June and let her Presidential Greed rest in Peace with Slick Willy for ever and ever again. AMEN.

April 17, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  25. NOBAMA NOWAY

It's amazing to me that throughout the debate it was OBAMA who continuously attacked Hillary, yet at the same time, kept talking about how we should be beyond this type of politics...

Why is it that Obama can "call" Hillary "out" on things, but she can't do the same in return? For him to have criticized her about her "attacks" on his "bitter" comment is RIDICULOUS, given that this was something HE SAID. If he doesn't want to be criticized for such comments...THEN SHUT YOUR TRAP and don't say such stupidities!!

Every time Obama opens his mouth, the less I have respect for this hypocrite.

April 17, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |