April 16th, 2008

Clinton, Obama face off in Pennsylvania

(CNN) - Neither Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama would commit Wednesday when asked in a debate if they would take the other as their running mate should they win the nomination.

Both candidates responded to the first question of the debate with smiles, prompting laughter from the audience. After a moment, Obama said he was happy to respond.

"I think it's premature at this point for us to talk about who vice presidential candidates will be, because we're still trying to determine who the nominee will be." he said.

Clinton echoed those comments. "I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure that one of us takes the oath of office next January," she said. "I think that has to be the overriding goal, whatever we have to do."

Each candidate said they thought the other was capable of winning the presidency.

Full story

1. SK

I am an independent who is watching the democratic candidates very carefully.

Do you take us (American public) to be so stupid that we can not understand what Obama said. We are concern about NAFT and Columbian deal which is having direct impact on our manufacturing industry and Clinton's have lot to do with it.

I don't like the Clinton's lying to us and making every small thing a political issue and spin it in a negative way.

If you and other in this campaign will adamant to spread negative news it is hurting your campaign. Have you seen the recent poll Hillary. Your negative number are keep going up. Help yourself by staying on the issues and saying positive things and get out of this spin mood if you really want her to win.

April 17, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  2. truth

ABC should be ashame for their hit job on Obama!!

April 17, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  3. Done with HILLARY CLINTON

This had to the lamest excuse for a debate I have ever seen! The questions for the first hour were ridiculous. I wanted to hear about the issues and when Hillary had the nerve to question Barack Obama's character it was too much for me. She's ducking sniper fire (3 times she said this for the past months), settling the crisis in Ireland, making over $109 million...etc. And he's out of touch ! He's the elitist !Go figure !

PA please wake up like IN did and push this woman out!!!

OBAMA 08!!! YES WE CAN!!!

April 17, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  4. ALBO

THE DEBATE HAD ONE LOSER (HILLARY) AND ONE WINNER (MCcCAIN!!!)

Hillary torpedoed her only chance to convince Superdelegates to
    reverse popular vote and nominate her, justifying this by her arguments THAT OBAMA is NOT ELECTIBLE due to his alleged lack of experience, the Preacher and elitism. But by admitting emphatically that he can win in front of McCAIN (obviously stating that she is more so, which OBAMA also obviously contradicted), and even if she try to tell the superdelegates that what she said was only OUT OF politeness, very few of the still not committed super's will dream to take the risk to alienate voters with the electibility
    justification, after her public statement to the contrary !!

And McCAIN will frolic beacuse of the irrational statement of Hillary that she will follow her IRAQ timetable no matter what happen on the ground, OBAMA did slightly better by saying with less clarity that he will do so in 16 month basing on a plan imposed by the Presidency to the generals, with certain restrictions (but forgetting to SAY what would happen if the generals are not able to comply with the plan !!)

A similar irrational attitude regarding "no new taxes" for incomes
    under $ 250,000, no matter the financial situation, by both candidates
    will leave them open to GOP attacks, so that the DEMS will lose
    their advantage attacking the GOP on this issue.

SO THIS DEBATE WILL NOT IMPROVE, BUT PROBABLY WORSEN
    HILLARY'S CATASTROPHIC PUBLIC PERCEPTION AS SHOWN BY THE WASHINGTON POST / ABC POLL, NOT IMPROVE HER SITUATION IN THE UPCOMING PRIMARIES AND MOST IMPORTANT,
    HER POSSIBILITIES TO ATTRACT SUPERDELEGATES HAVE NEARLY VANISHED.

WHAT WILL SHE DO NOW ??

ALBO

April 17, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  5. Mccain sweeping the Obamantor

Obama is not smart and never does good in debates however there sure alot of stupid black people voting for him.....Thats ok because when John Mccain get's to him and shows him how the real cowboys play.....can we say Mr. Pres Mccain YeeHaw Obama go crawl back into the hole you came out of..... John Mccain 2008

April 17, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  6. Santiago

They were so mean towards Obama, i will never watch abc again

April 17, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  7. Sure

Go Hillary!!!!

April 17, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  8. CARL DEEENER

I am most proud,that the American people are not being sidetracked,
    by the negative campain of Hillary Clinton.
    When is she going to wake up and realize that its not working?

April 17, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  9. Anonymous

I just had a chance to see Michele Obama's Speech at Villanova University. She was just BRILLANT. If any of you didn" see the entire speech, I STRONGLY encourage you to do so. It will answer a lot of your questions about her and Barack.

To bad, Bill Clinton couldn't do a better job for his WIFE. If Bill had just done for Hillary what she did for him when he ran for President, Hillary would be better off.

However, as a male, I was extremely moved by Michele Obama. I haven't had a chance to hear her before. I can't imagine women not being able to relate to Michele Obama after hearing this candid speech!

April 17, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  10. Thall999

April 17, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  11. lisajkv

Hillary won the debate and Obama was arrogant.

April 17, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  12. Marisol

I am so proud of Hillary she is so honest and precise. She knows her stuff!!

April 17, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  13. I AM GOD

Great Debate!!! Even a well greased machine grinds to a halt when it has had need of an overhaul from the beginning.
    Let's give the American people great confidence and sincere pride. They know when to call it quits. That rio roaring machine apparently has grinded to a halt.
    The defining volley of questions on electability was the straw that broke the camel's back. Hillary was actually caught off guard and pinned. She never saw it coming. By her own admission, she has conceded to letting the Obama campaign go forward.
    Through it all, Senator Barak Obama has given his female opponent
    all the respect and courtesy do her and the American people not to drag her in an ungodly barage of negativity. She was highly esteemed for her position as First Lady of a former dynasty. Obama did his utmost not to damage the American foundation.
    Now we must band together and allow Obama the opportunity to go forward as the next president for these "troubled years" in American history. He may just be a sitting duck as was attributed to President Carter. He never had the priviledge to lead; just pray for the people.
    OBAMA in 2008!

April 17, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  14. TeamObama

'TeamObama' thinks the debate was brutal for my guy. He was on the defensive most of the time, and i couldn't breath for the first hour. Anyway, Obama shall overcome! He will be the next president.

April 17, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  15. ECHEWEOZO

God bless barack

April 17, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  16. Bushwhacked

First of all, I wish the moderators hadn't brought up the sniper lies and the Wright issue and had concentrated on the more serious issues, as they did for the last hour. Hillary could not let it go - could not back down on her attacks even while saying she thought these things were unimportant [not in so many words, but in spirit, I felt]. I am so sick of all this attacking, and it's no secret who is doing the majority of it.

The sad thing is that I think Hillary could be a good president and that she has destroyed herself with her own campaign tactics. I was a supporter until she actually began campaigning - and she lost me.

And why should either of them commit to the other for VP? I'm not so sure that 'dream team' is really so dreamy, when you get right down to it.

Eugene, OR

April 17, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  17. Stephen Carter

Hillary Clinton continues to impress me. God that woman has an incredible grasp of what needs to be done once Bush is finally gone. She knows her stuff; and she exudes nothing but confidence. I can't imagine why Democrats all over the country wouldn't get behind her so she can be our next President.

Obama is running on this "appeal and charisma" thing. If he were a short little bald guy, he'd never have polled higher than fifth place and would have dropped out long ago.

April 17, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  18. Nicole

What in the world kind of debate was this! ABC should be ashamed of themselves and Hillary, OH my goodness Hillary, what are you doing playing the right wing playbook tactics !!!! If you really care about the American people, stop helping the Republicans ! I was undecided on which Democrat I was voting for , but I can tell you it won't be Hillary ! And ABC should be boycotted ! As my students would say "This Debate was a Hot Mess"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  19. Florida voter

See, havent you noticed that Obama isnt the same in debates as he is in his rallies promoting hope. This proves that when it comes to debates and discussing the issues, Obama just doesnt stand a chance. It's now just about the speeches Obama. Hillary clearly won this debate. It was kind of funny when they got him on the taxes. Vote Hillary 08!

April 17, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  20. susie for Obama

I felt that Charlie and George were hostile and combative with Obama and let Clinton off easy! They even argued with his answer and interrupted him several times. This program sucked – who cares if someone wears a flag pin!!! What a waste of my time.

April 17, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  21. Obama needs a crying towel

Why does Obama whine everytime Hillary or the Media go after him
    when he says something stupid or his friends....cry me a river what's he going to do when other country's say something.....get a crying towel

April 17, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  22. Nate in Pittsburgh

It was Hillary's night. She's impressive. I hope she can pull this thing off because the guy from Illinois is neither smart enough nor honest enough to be President. One George W. Bush is enough, thank you.

Go Hillary!

April 17, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  23. sandy

Hillary just attack,attack and attack. Obama is more Presidential.

April 17, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  24. greenfun

Clinton was CLEARLY more Presidential. Her command of specifics was obviously superior. What stands out in my mind is that it was the first fair debate and CNN cannot stand that their preferred candidate could not and does not measure up in a fair debate. The CNN pundits are full of crap as they have been all along. Clinton is better qualified, prepared and experienced–GET OVER IT-SHE IS A WOMAN AND SHE IS THE WINNER OF THIS DEBATE.

April 17, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  25. AZCacti4Hillary

Despite Clinton's strong answers to the questions, the majority of the quotes in this article are Obama's. I found Clinton's statements regarding why she would stick to her plan to withdraw troops from Iraq especially well thought out- the best showing of global understanding I've seen so far. I wish the media would focus less on whether a remark or criticism will "stick" to a candidate and more the soundness of their plans for our country in the next four years.

April 17, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |