April 16th, 2008

Clinton, Obama face off in Pennsylvania

(CNN) - Neither Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama would commit Wednesday when asked in a debate if they would take the other as their running mate should they win the nomination.

Both candidates responded to the first question of the debate with smiles, prompting laughter from the audience. After a moment, Obama said he was happy to respond.

"I think it's premature at this point for us to talk about who vice presidential candidates will be, because we're still trying to determine who the nominee will be." he said.

Clinton echoed those comments. "I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure that one of us takes the oath of office next January," she said. "I think that has to be the overriding goal, whatever we have to do."

Each candidate said they thought the other was capable of winning the presidency.

Full story

1. Patricia P. in Austin, TX

Clinton's "Yes, yes, yes" response to whether Obama could beat McCain just set the stage for her next set of lies to the superdelegates (and apparently, she is taking back what she told Gov. Bill Richardson). Unfortunately, there may not be any you tube footage to document her covert double-talk for the voters.

April 17, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  2. Swing-Voter, FL

I listened to Sean Hanity's radio show on Tuesday where Stephanopoulos was a guest and was directed as to questions and tone of the debate. Stephanopoulos– a former Clinton employee and a current Clinton supporter clearly had an agenda going into this tabloid so-called debate. I don't have health care– I am also a full time students with loans hanging off my tail; the purpose of this "debate" was...?

April 17, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  3. Peter from Oregon

She's dishonest, and the world has witnessed that during this campaign she has put her personal ambition above what's best for the Democratic party and the American people.

She is not fit to be President of the United States of America.

Obama '08

April 17, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  4. Paula in WI

By admitting on tv that Obama is electable,she has shown her 2 faces once again.Maybe PA will see through the bull now.We don't need another liar in the White House.We need a change.

April 17, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  5. LT for Obama

I agree that Obama, even in this debate, attempted to bring the discussion back to issues.

What I also found funny is that many times, Hillary did not actually answer the question possed but instead went off into her stance of policies that had NOTHING to do with the question.

By the way, where is her 2007 return? She asked for Obama's yet all we have of her 2007 return is a summary. How do you have the audacity to ask form something that you have not provided.

Lastly, I know what I heard but did anyone else hear her say that she knowingly lied about Bosnia and other things she got caught lying about? She worded it very cleverly, however, it was clear that she admitted to lying. Do I want her to continue to lie to me and then after she gets in office say "Oops, I liked, I am sorry?"

Time to end the "Silly Season" Hillary and start backing the true winner of this campaign.

April 17, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  6. Laura P

Let's face it, Obama lost. And he will lose Penn. State and if nominated he will the lose the general. Le'ts all do the smart thing and support Hillary.

April 17, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  7. lisajkv

Hillary is having a problems beating a rookie like Barack because dumb people like you are donating $10 to his campaign and can't afford it.

April 17, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  8. Swing-Voter, FL

I listened to Sean Hanity's radio show on Tuesday where Stephanopoulos was a guest and was directed as to questions and tone of the debate. Stephanopoulos– a former Clinton employee and a current Clinton supporter clearly had an agenda going into this tabloid so-called debate. I don't have health care– I am also a full time student with student loans hanging off my tail; the purpose of this "debate" was...?

April 17, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  9. BNS

Hillary Clinton is doing her duty as an American and as a Democrat to create the conditions under which the other candidate is scrutinized.

She is doing us a service.

This may not mean that she gets the nomination, but at least it means that we know the person we are putting out there to represent the party.

People who see her behavior only as an attack fail to understand the bigger picture.

Obama may seem to be a nice guy, but we cannot afford to put him out there without testing his mettle.

April 17, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  10. jr.

Dear Americans whats worst Hillary's exaggeration on a sniper story or Obama I never herd my Minister Wright said any racist remarks.

April 17, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  11. Jeff

Hillary Clinton asked for forgiveness for lying – althought she did not use the word directly. Obama deferred on the issue. When asked about Obama's misquote, Hillary pounced on him mercilessly.

When someone asks the American Public for forgiveness and yet cannot forgive her opponent for a similar, albeit lesser accusation, that says it all for me.

Hillary has to go before she forever destroys the party.

April 17, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  12. Maylene Ho

I am so surprised that NO ONE mentions anything about Mrs. Clinton said in 1995 by her OWN TONGUE: "SCREW the WHITE VOTERS". Has Mrs. Clinton been REBORNED OR FACED OFF???

April 17, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  13. Amy

CNN....I never thought I'd say this, but I just pray to god you do the debates from now on.

That ABC debate was the most atrocious smear I've ever witnessed on a national level.

April 17, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  14. Crystal, California

The ABC debate was a complete waste of time. Gibson and Stephonopolous(sp) should be ashamed at how they handled this debate.

Please, no more debates. If you are still undecided after 21, then you must have some brain issues to deal with.

NO MORE DEBATES!!!!

Geesh, I'm glad it's NBA playoff season. Good time for a distraction.

April 17, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  15. jayjayaye

If Clinton can admit to - how shall I put it? - stretching the truth about her visit to Bosnia and ask to be forgiven for doing so, how is it that she can keep harping on Obama's "elitist" comment, which he himself admits was poorly stated and for which he has expressed his regrets? To err is human; to forgive, divine. Both candidates have demonstrated that they are human (did anyone ever think otherwise?), but it seems to me that Clinton falls a bit short on the "d" word.

April 17, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  16. Mary

After watching this debate my mind is completely made up that Hilary is NOT the person i would want as my president. She'll stop at noting to win even if it means attacking the very party she stands for. If she gets in the White House, i dare citizen to disagree with her or she'll attack them too! Obama handled himself diligently, professionally and presidential and he of all people deserve to be the next president. As of today, it's Obama for me!

April 17, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  17. Mark

Here is a statement from Hillary- "On a couple of occasions in the last weeks, um, I just said some things that weren't in keeping with what I knew to be the case..."

If that isn't an all out admission of lying to us, then I don't know what is. No wonder nearly 60% of voters don't think she is trustworthy.

Let's see a show of hands for how many people want to vote for a president who lies to them...

April 17, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  18. Franklin, FL

I listened to Sean Hanity's radio show on Tuesday where Stephanopoulos was a guest and was directed as to questions and tone of the debate. Stephanopoulos– a former Clinton employee and a current Clinton supporter clearly had an agenda going into this tabloid so-called debate. I don't have health care– I am also a full time student with loans hanging off my tail; the purpose of this "debate" was…?

What a hit job!

April 17, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  19. Electress

Hillary did very well, she did not attack Obama, she answered questions! She even admitted once again that "Bosnia didn't jive"
    and she was sorry!

Obama should not have referred to people with disabilities as
    "MENTALLY DERANGED". I would have thought that since he has
    years of experience in poor neighborhoods that he would have
    been more sensitive, instead he magnified the disability.

Hillary has been fighting for soldiers and their families returning
    from Iraq. We will have thousands of soldiers who are people
    with mental disabilities, and not mentally deranged.
    Hillaryy will fight to cut through barries, stigmas, and labels.

That is just another reason I support Hillary!

April 17, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  20. Rashida

I don't understand why people can't see through Hillary's feeble attacks on Obama! Obama responds without ever trying to attack Sen. Clinton and she has many weak points he could hammer on. Obama shows great chracter when he doesn't stoop to low points as Sen. Clinton has, since she is losing. As Obama said squabbling over misconstrued/misspoken statements and people's religious leaders (people who are not the candidates) it will not help the poor people who are struggling to afford to buy food and stay in their home.

April 17, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  21. Brad IL.

Hillary didn't attack him, she is just telling the truth. He has no political know how to be the President of this country. He is a joke for a Senator , and I know cause I live in this state. He won his Senate seat by getting the other candidates disqualified so he could have a easy win. He is just like the rest of the political machine in Chicago, CROOKED. I wouldn't vote for the scum if he were the only one running. He hasn't written one bill that has become law, he just adds his name to someone else's bill. Do we really want someone in this office that can't even write a law . His alma-mater should be proud. He should ask for his money back on the education that he has recieved. People should really wake up and realize that this is not what this country needs at this time. I did and will vote for John McCain if Hillary is not the candidate, someone with the right knowledge of this office has got to be the President.

April 17, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  22. jayjayaye

If Clinton can admit to - how shall I put it? - "stretching the truth" about her visit to Bosnia and ask to be forgiven for doing so, how is it that she can keep on harping on Obama's "elitist" comment, which he himself admits was poorly stated and for which he has expressed his regrets?

April 17, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  23. madhur

this debate was rubish. the abc host was terrible. these people are thinking about themselves. there was not any serious issues about we american people. hussain cannot be president, in my opinion. he is a left wing liberal supported by all rich people who will dominate us after he elected.

April 17, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  24. dre

I am a former Obama supporter, now supporting Hillary Clinton. I believe that a lot of what is said on these blogs, are unrelated to what actually took place in the debate, and just in general, most of what is written about anything anti-Clinton appears to be written by people who have paid no attention to what she has said or done and has pre-written their comments. Not all. People are allowed to have differing opinions. I believe that both candidates conducted themselves with civility when it comes to politics, and Barack Obama came under fire for many of his comments and actions. As did Hillary. But by far, Hillary was the most pointed, well poised candidate tonight. She stayed on her issues, and had a presidential air that Obama lacked when under his most intensive questioning yet. Hillary Clinton won this debate by far because she focused on her issues and policies. And she has my vote, a vote Obama has lost. I supported Obama when I believed that he was all for a new brand of politics, but it has become clear to me that this new type of politics only works when he is clear of political danger. Whenever Hillary gets a foot in he does exactly what he criticizes her of; his campaign becomes highly negative and highly "old-school" in terms of politics.

April 17, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  25. Rick from Oregon

Obama said it right when he said that the next president will be dealing with the biggest problems that any president has in 40 years. The person to handle those problems is Hillary Clinton. She has the best plans to deal with the economy, the military, and keep the Republicans in line.

April 17, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |