April 16th, 2008

Clinton, Obama face off in Pennsylvania

(CNN) - Neither Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama would commit Wednesday when asked in a debate if they would take the other as their running mate should they win the nomination.

Both candidates responded to the first question of the debate with smiles, prompting laughter from the audience. After a moment, Obama said he was happy to respond.

"I think it's premature at this point for us to talk about who vice presidential candidates will be, because we're still trying to determine who the nominee will be." he said.

Clinton echoed those comments. "I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure that one of us takes the oath of office next January," she said. "I think that has to be the overriding goal, whatever we have to do."

Each candidate said they thought the other was capable of winning the presidency.

Full story

1. C. J.

Obama / Clinton V.P. would not be a plus for democratic party. A Obama anybody would be a plus come Nov. We need Clinton,s out all together.

April 16, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  2. Wayne Braffman

An absolute travesty of a debate. ABC should be ashamed. I pray that this is the straw that breaks the public's tolerance for this kind of discourse that usurps the place of true dialogue and debate. Shame on you, ABC, shame on you.

April 16, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  3. Santiago

I can not believe that a commentator in other network said that did not like the way Obama was treated...That comment completely prove the bias of the networks towards Obama.

Those kinds of commends were not made when Hillary repeatedly was attached over and over again on debates.

April 16, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  4. Glen from Atlanta

I believe that the Democratic presidential "debate" was bias against Barack Obama. The moderators consistantly put him in the "hotseat", slamming him with questions about the many allegations made by the media (which he had already addressed numerous of times), but proceeded to ask Hillary Clinton primarily about her policies. The only time she was in the "hotseat" was when they asked her about her experience in Bosnia. However, they neglected to bring up her involvement with NAFTA, which put so many of the people she claims to represent in Pennsylvania, out of work due to their jobs being outsourced. However, Barack Obama was still successful in addressing each and every question to the point that they do not need to be readdressed, and in giving a more compelling debate.

April 16, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  5. scott

I must say ones again hillary seemed very on when talking issues.
    But at the same time I think I now understand why this has became a super market tablod primary. He cant talk the issues. First his campaine was all about HOPE. then CHANGE the YES WE CAN. all nothing issues. not how we make these changes and differences then it was Wright, her in Bosina now where all just BITTER but I also forgot TYPICAL. its true he didn't vote for war and was against it . but he couldn't vote he wasnt there he never heard the things that were told behind doors and the things most of them we getting fed. So for the most part he Just cant talk the issues. did he ever answer the handgun question, did he give a good explination on Iraq ? I just dont KNow

April 16, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  6. fred

i though obama was great in the debate abc and hillary were out to get him but all they the junk they had is hoo he new . i wish they would look at all the people the clintons know like walmart board like how they hate unions , law office hillary worked for and they hated unions all bills girl freinds , white water , and all the dicrace they put on the usa when bill was in office.

April 16, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  7. Edgar

an Obama/Clinton ticket – or Clinton/Obama ticket would UNITE THE PARTY and bring the Presidency to democratic party!

April 16, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  8. Jed in Texas

Now behave you two,the Pope is watching.Make sure you go to confession after the debate and tell him how many lies you each told.

April 16, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  9. Lou

That was the worst debate I ever saw. Bosnia, wright, and the american pin crud is already old tabloid news. They really wasted time that could have been very imformative with questions about issues they would have if they were the president. ABC doesn't get to do debates anymore.

April 16, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  10. Mina

This was the WORST debate ever! ABC made a mess of it. They spent half the time discussing irrelevant issues and gossip. When they finally got around to the issues it was an Obama lynching all the way. The man could not finish an answer without being interrupted by the moderators. And what the hell? "How are you going to use past presidents?" What kind of question is that? Do they realize there is a recession going on in the real world, people are losing jobs and homes, and there are people dying in nobody's land way out there?

No wonder the public booed at the end of the debate. ABC deserved it. If you read the posts on their blogg you'll see that 99% of the viewers (Clinton supporters included) say the debate was the worst of this primary, if not ever. Nothing of importance could come out of it. Does ABC think everyone is stupid?

April 16, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  11. Ted Canada

Saw the debate and would say 60 40 in favour of Obama.

April 16, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  12. Obama Supporter in NC

That was the worst debate ever hosted. ABC is pathetic. They spent the first 40 minutes attacking Obama. Not one questions about NAFTA, Columbia.
    Absolutely pathetic!!!!

April 16, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  13. PJ

I'm both amazed and disgusted by the one sided nature of the questions from the moderators. 50 minutes into the broadcast Obama had been challenged with 4 negative attack questions, whereas Clinton had only been given 1. I will not be a viewer of ABC news going forward, not if this is their idea of an unbiased debate.

April 16, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  14. NickNas

One of the best things cleared up in this debate that will (or should) SILENCE the Hillabots who keep saying " He is unelectable" "He Cannot win"

FOR THE RECORD Hillary Clinton, YOUR Candidate said in answer to the question " Can Obama beat McCain in the gerneral election"? Hillary said "YES YES YES" ( after taking the long way around trying to avoid saying it as usual. Cudos to George S for being one of the few in the press who makes her ACTUALLY answer.

That is all!

April 16, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  15. Raelee

The moderators are like you guys at this bog. You don't like enyone being criticale of you all in the media.
    Barack you were great for not stooping to Hillary's level and the moderator.
    What a joke of a debate. You make me sick with the fact that you get paid for that crap. You media poeple must think your gods.
    Thanks Barack for not taking advantage of her with NAFT and Mr. Penn and all the other things she is clinging too.

April 16, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  16. Retired Navy Veteran

Why did Senator Hillary Clinton say screw southern white?

April 16, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  17. Janel, St. Paul, MN

I'll give this one more college try! (Admittedly I had to go to Huffington Post to be listened to!)

I found tonight's debate very frustrating to watch. I know that George S. was on the Clinton payroll, so I should give him some slack, but the cards were definitely against Obama tonight.

I found it so depressing to watch Hillary gaze patronizingly at the camera and continue her sleazy statements that I used my remote to go to a romantic comedy on TCM to relieve my high blood pressure.

This was NO debate. It was ABC pandering to the Clinton's. It was disgusting!!

April 16, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |

She Learned All The Wrong Lessons
    Former Hillary Supporter
    Feminist
    Beautifully Colored Person

April 16, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  19. ABG

Hillary wins this debate hands down!

April 16, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  20. Democrats Are What's Left

THAT was the absolute WORST debate of this entire election process. ABC News has spent this entire election year on the side of Hillary Clinton. No matter what she says, they find a reason to excuse it.

Tonight, for 45 minutes, the slanted ABC News team could find NOTHING to talk about that would benefit Americans in trying to learn more about each candidate. How pitiful it was. Sen. Obama may just have well gone on Faux News for a debate because that's just how "fair" and "impartial" ABC News showed itself to be.

On the positive side, Sen. Obama pushed back against the notion that NEGATIVE politics is what we Americans want to endure. NO, WE DON'T! Two minutes on energy policy? What a waste of our time. Are these very important issues not important to ABC News or do they simply need the ratings?

I sit out here in a small town in Illinois wondering why ABC News can't give facts, and this is every single day on their broadcasts. This is why I stopped watching BOTH ABC "News" and "Faux News", because they are no longer considered a "News" channel but a tabloid organization.

It should be the goal of any "News" organization to report the news, NOT fabricate it.

Both candidates were asked questions that do not HELP AMERICANS figure out how we are going to create more jobs, better healthcare, fix our economy or get the hell out of Iraq. NEITHER candidate deserved the type of questions that ABC "News" decided was important. It was a waste of their time and ours, and this is the LAST time that I tune my channel into ABC again, because they do not have MY best interests in mind.

April 16, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  21. Elizabeth

Sen. Obama wants change. Sen. Clinton wants to fight everybody. I don't trust anything she says.

God Bless the wonderful people of Pennsylvania for putting an end to this and vote for Barack. Give him the opportunity to turn this country around. He has what it is going to take to do that and lower gasoline, create jobs, and bring our great military home. We can't let this opportunity slip by us. Together we can all work together.

A 60 year old female Republican for Barack Obama and proud of it.

TEXAS

April 16, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  22. Natasha

I can not believe how bad the moderators were. They were not balanced at all, they cornered Obama the whole first hour with hardly any questions for Hillary.

That was ridiculus. However, what do you expect from Clinton's former advisor?

April 16, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  23. KE

Hillary responded to Bosnia question "I may be (called) many things but I'm not dumb," I can add to this one as a news viewer "I may be regular folks but my husband and I am not dumb".

Sexiest and inquisitor, it's written all over.

Why can media mock women candidate (never apologized) yet they pick on her mistakes and soooooooooo easy on Obama, wow.

Real men vote for Hillary.
    Real men don't make excuses.

April 16, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  24. Jeff

The first part of the debate looked like a 3-on-1 match. Clinton and the moderators vs. Obama!

April 16, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  25. Mike

Senator Clinton did a GREAT job, what a debate!

As always, I was/am so impressed with her abilities.

Senator Clinton, you are close to officially claiming VICTORY in Pennsylvania!

Go Hillary!!!!!