April 16th, 2008

Clinton, Obama face off in Pennsylvania

(CNN) - Neither Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama would commit Wednesday when asked in a debate if they would take the other as their running mate should they win the nomination.

Both candidates responded to the first question of the debate with smiles, prompting laughter from the audience. After a moment, Obama said he was happy to respond.

"I think it's premature at this point for us to talk about who vice presidential candidates will be, because we're still trying to determine who the nominee will be." he said.

Clinton echoed those comments. "I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure that one of us takes the oath of office next January," she said. "I think that has to be the overriding goal, whatever we have to do."

Each candidate said they thought the other was capable of winning the presidency.

Full story

1. Kim P.

Well I guess I won't have to turn to Fox news for "tabloid" news. I now can turn on ABC and listen to George and Charlie. My question, who was the debate between? ABC/George and Charlie vs. Sen. Obama? Why have Hillary there? It is not just Hillary feeding the Republicans, now ABC has joined in. What about questions that concern us; for example why am I paying more each week for gas and food and should I be concerned about loosing my house? When are you going to find Osama Bin Laden and end this war? What are you going to do about the rising drop out rate amongst our youth? Should I forget about retirement and any money I have invested? These are questions I am concerned about. Not if Obama wears a flag pin on his lapel. By the way, has anyone noticed Hillary doesn't wear one either. Yet no one questions her about being patriotic? Heard enough about Rev. Wright. Who is this guy with the Weather Men back during the 70's. Will he find Osama Bin Laden? Come on, this is becoming Obama vs. Hillary& Bill & McCain& the media. Whose next? The devil?

April 16, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  2. Jennifer Wilson

Obama lied again to America when asked what he would tell the superdelegates why they should support him. He claims he is above taking money from lobbyists and he keeps on telling the lies. The link below supports that he is connected with lobbyists.

April 16, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  3. Sarah

With all the negatives going on in country RIGHT NOW: Healthcare, Education, Environment (world), Gas, Mortgage, Poverty (etc) ABC instead chooses to focus on the non-issue that wouldn't put food on the table. ABC did a major inustice to the people by carrying on like some tabloid junk off the newstand. The idea to have George S. as a moderator should have been an indication of how this debate would play out. I actually wish CNN had this debate.

With that said this was simply the; Worst. Debate. Ever.

April 16, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  4. No Can Do

Maybe HIllary thinks Obama is electable...but over 35% of Democrats do NOT think he is. He will loose to McCain if he is the nominee

April 16, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  5. Now for Obama

This debate just makes me more enthusiastic about my vote for Obama! Mark my words, NO ONE WILL BRING THIS MAN DOWN! He is already predestined to be the President next year, so now all you have to do is just sit back and watch how it happens :)

Obama 08/12

April 16, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  6. True American

What we witnessed was the high tech lynching of a black politician!

April 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  7. A Proud and Free American

This is one of the most unfair debates i've ever seen

How can you have a past Clinton advisor asking the candidates question – isn't that a clear bias

Obama should have withdrawn from this unfair conspiracy. Shame on ABC. Those guys have no ethics.

Obama stood up well under thier attacks.

April 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  8. Mary Parker

This so called debate was no more than a street gang fight. Hillary had her boys to jump Obama, but he still came out smelling like the candidate more likely to beat McCain. Maybe this was her chance to look like a veep for McCain, she sure not looking like a presidential candidate.

April 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  9. Philly Kid

I am not a die hard Obama fan, but I can't help but feel he was violated in this debate. It was far less of a debate than an indictment. He tried to keep their blows above belt but they just had to nail him and I must confess, they did.

April 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  10. Phil from Guadalupe, Ca.

Hi Venus,
    The problem is that Barack Obama is trying to deflect the issues and not take them head on.
    I call that poor judgement. I do not care of HRC, she at least admitted she used poor judgement in the Bosnia sniper fire flap. Something that Sen. Obama has yet to do with Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, and his Bay Area secret speech.
    Let's face it, Senator Obama will only try to deflect the issues. That is not the type of politician we, democrats need.

April 16, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  11. gary mitchell

This ambush in prime time was the worst display of yellow journalism I have witnessed in my entire life. I will never watch the ABC network in my home again. The behavior of the moderators was disgusting. George go home. I don't shop at Walmart and I won't watch ABC.

April 16, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  12. Leano

May I remind people that Senator Clinton used this politically sometime before Texas and Ohio. She played politics with it. Even Bill Clinton did. They basically were capitalising on the idea that since voters liked them both, if they told voters they'd give Obama the VP slot, then voters would pick Clinton as the nominee. She'd said that she'd offer the VP position to Obama. Bill even put up electoral vote analysis on if they were to run together.Now, she's changed since.

April 16, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  13. bob

GO HILLARY

April 16, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  14. Jim

Every time they debate, why is that I can hear Obama thinking. He is slow to respond and it is agonizing to watch the guy spitting out words out of his mouth as opposed to Clinton's crisp response. Bruce springsteen just endorsed Obama. Who the hell is Bruce Springsteen.

April 16, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  15. kate

I think Hillary kicked butt tonight
    She won the debate.
    Obama was stumbling all throught his Wright issue and Ayers terrorism ties.
    I think the Bosnia thing is not as big an issue as his are.
    She was clear and decisive like a good President should be.
    Her pointed remarks about Iran and Israel were very impressive
    I hope the DNC and delegates were watching

Go Hillary!

April 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. Arkansas Undertaker

Venus I agree............The man was trying to help her out and she just went into attack mode.........She doesnt know when to stop and thats why her White House bod will fail.

April 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  17. Cal Jim 2

Really, Mr.Obama should just man up, and quit now, to save our party from splitting any worse than it is. He knows, that with all of his un-Patriotic baggage, he can't beat John McCain. Or any republican, for that matter. Hillary is our only chance, to win the G.E.. Everyone knows it. Being stubborn, isn't helping our party. Obama just brings disgrace to himself, and the party. I hope Obama and his pasror, Rev Wright, heard the Pope, bless the United States of America, and all Americans today. I also hope it didn't make them too angry.

April 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  18. Dewey

Check out the ABC News message boards...they are on fire tonight with how biased this presidential 'debate' appeared to be. This is a news story in and of itself....

April 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  19. Ronald

I can't believe I am going to say this, but Wolf makes a better moderator than those dolts over at ABC. They were pathetic!

April 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  20. Jason PA

I did not really know Obama but I have discovered a man who was willing to take this country to the next level. Mrs clinton was trying too much to take him down. She lost my family's vote.

April 16, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  21. bob

YES, HILLARY HAS THE GUTS TO CHANGE THE COUNTRY
    BACK TO NORMAL

April 16, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  22. mary

PA voters Hilliary is insulting your intelligence with her lies, don't be fooled. Clintons want POWER and don't care about you or anyone else.

April 16, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  23. Tell It Like It Is

The "fat lady will sing in NC for sure, if she doesn't in PA.

April 16, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  24. Dan J

Obama bumbled and stumbled. Clinton raised the question that if her minor jabs affected Obama, imagine what will happen in the general election with the big blows.

April 16, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  25. burt

I am seriously starting to believe that Hillary has forgotten that the person she is attacking, very aggressively mind you, a fellow Democrat.

April 16, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |