April 16th, 2008

Clinton, Obama face off in Pennsylvania

(CNN) - Neither Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama would commit Wednesday when asked in a debate if they would take the other as their running mate should they win the nomination.

Both candidates responded to the first question of the debate with smiles, prompting laughter from the audience. After a moment, Obama said he was happy to respond.

"I think it's premature at this point for us to talk about who vice presidential candidates will be, because we're still trying to determine who the nominee will be." he said.

Clinton echoed those comments. "I'm going to do everything I possibly can to make sure that one of us takes the oath of office next January," she said. "I think that has to be the overriding goal, whatever we have to do."

Each candidate said they thought the other was capable of winning the presidency.

Full story

1. N Kannan

This debate was a total hack job, that Charle Gibson, George and Hillary seemed to have planned the questions on advance and ganged up on Barack. So far I have counted four hard questions on Barack and one on Hillary which they quickly turned again into an Obama question! What a hackjob!

April 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  2. Mark

So I take it Hillary is a Republican now?

Okey-dokey.

Voting for Obama now.

April 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  3. Renee

I wish ABC would stick to Dancing with the Stars....How is it possible that a former Clinton aid is able to be a moderator for a "supposedly" unbiased debate...

All of Clintons responses seem to be rehearsed and I think that she had a hand in writing the questions,

Shame on you ABC, Shame on you!!!!!!!

April 16, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  4. Gillis

Could you please let me know why you just never post my comments?

April 16, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  5. Brad Turner

OBAMA Radio Ad.....

Tune into Allentown's WGPA 1100am " Democratic Talk Radio with host Stephen Crockett" tomorrow morming at 8:05 am (est)" and 8:35am to catch "Elect Obama" radio ad. You can also listen on-line at: http://www.wgpasunny1100.com at that time as well.

The ad is sponsored by: http://www.electobamatoday.com
    Please visit to watch the video for; "ELECT OBAMA"

April 16, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  6. Regina Davis

Hillary and Obama clearly do not like each other. It would not serve the country well to pair them as president and vice president. You've got to trust your running mate and have faith in his abilities. I think Hillary questions his experience. Just what has he ever done?

April 16, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  7. Jason, Texas

Yeah, she is really going for the jugular, and missing!!!

April 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  8. Ann Wright

Don't worry, despite the objectives of Hillary Clinton comments, she can't win so she is trying her best to bring you down. Be careful with that LIAR!
    But don’t forget she is your friend, so she says. I admire the way you handled her during the Debate. You are well spoken and educated, and some people can't stand the direction in which you are headed. You deserve to be President. You have been through a lot.

I know this campaign has taken a lot of strength, being tested, questioning your political knowledge. It's going to be all right. Stand up and keep your cool.

You are my sunshine, and a lot of other people. I will be at the poll bright and early to vote for you, and don't let no one break your spirit. Bless you, President Obama!

April 16, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  9. Laidetea

She hasn't forgotten (burt). She did that despite Obama generous suggestion of trying to keep the debate on the issues. You saw first hand how she attacked him with issues that were not pertaining to the debate. Rather than Hillary being a Democratic matriach to her fellow partner and Democrat Sen. Obama she sought nothing more than to be more divisive than ever.

I have truly thought long on casting my vote to Barack Obama. After all that's been said she has proven that she will destroy the Democratic party and it members. She deserve to lose this race because she is not putting the people first. This is a personal conquest she fighting for now.

April 16, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  10. mary j

Hillary supporters –lisen to reason. We need change not lies, and more lies. Obama could have went negative on sniper fire question, but he chose to extend a life line and help her ou, by letting her keep some degree of self-repect. "see how she bite the hand of--think about iit-what type of a person you are putting your trust in. (her reaction to kindness if to be BITTER).
    GO 'OBAMA'

April 16, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  11. marie

Both Venus and Burt wrote nasty, negative, terrible things about Hillary and got posted. Post what I wrote!!!!! The good, decent people of this country are the people carrying Hillary to victory. Obama, you and your wife go back to Illinois and let's not hear from you again!!

April 16, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  12. The O

It was an ok Debate but do we really want 4 more years of
    CARL ROVIAN type tactics in our goverment? You see how Clinton attaks Obama when she does not get her way! What will she do when the Republicans disagree with here? Divide the two political parties again, we see how this has turned out nothing has been done. Can she ever take the high road?

OBAMA has been trying to take the road less taken.
    and unite not divide us

OBAMA 08!!!!

April 16, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  13. MUTOONI

This election is over. The democratic choice is clearly Obama. Hillary should pack her racist commends and go back to New York.

April 16, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  14. Ellie

Is everyone missing the fact that obama has been influenced by unscrupulous characters that he has been involved with, bombers and ministers that have the power to lead people down immoral roads.

Being President is entirely about character!! And after watching tonight's PA debate, my support will go to Sen. Clinton, who shows more moral character than Obama ever will.

I can't believe anyone would get behind a man that clearly listens to the wrong types of people. Just imagine what could happen if he were to be influenced by some of the worlds worst leaders.

April 16, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  15. Linda

Venus, I agree with you. I am watcing the debate and I use that word loosely. It seems to be an attack session on Senator Obama. The only wuestion to Senator Clinton was about Bosnia thus far. I have no problem with the questions, but the pushing when the answer seems to suffice. Pushing about why only now with denouce Wright. Well the fact is he denouce the statements not the man and he just learned about those snippets. Also, Ayers??? Seriously? I'm glad he pointed out that Pres. Clinton pardon two of the members. Clinton is staying in attack mode when Obama is saying let's talk about the political issues.

April 16, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  16. Jim in Pennsylvania (Undecided No More)

ABC did a horrible job with the debates tonight. It was tabloid journalism and clearly biased in favor of Clinton and against Obama. If you agree, contact ABC at Peter Salinger (THE MAN IN CHARGE OF ELECTION COVERAGE) Director, Special Events & Sports 212.456.5105 peter.salinger@abc.com.

I also called for the resignation of Stephanopolous (who previously worked for Bill Clinton) and Gibson for irresponsible, tabloid-style journalism. There is also a boycott of the station being planned.

April 16, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  17. miguel

David Brinkley must be mystified by the eagerness of George Stephanopoulos and Charlie Gibson to sink to the bottom of the journalistic cesspool. The performance of the press in this debate did not serve the journalistic profession.

April 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  18. mn mama

Obama has proven himself to be unelectable. He has no real grasp of what it is going to take in the GENERAL election, and cannot even unite the Democrats. He wants to be president of the liberals and not president of the USA. His baggage will haunt him if he is given the nomination by the super delegates. What is true is that neither can win but the rules alone. The mark is unreachable without the superdelegates.
    If he is on the ticket I love America too much to vote for him.
    For the first time I will vote republican. He is the destruction of America. It is in no way racist- my children are the same color as Obama however, the African American blood in them is of the line and lineage of slaves,not of the line and lineage of those who sold their brothers and sisters in bondage.

April 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  19. B

abc debate was garbag because it was not about the issues

April 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  20. Jesse

ABC News has destroyed their credibility in one night during this debate. All the pressing issues that are really effecting Americans took a backseat for Rev Wright, Flagpins, and 60s radical hippies only to smear a single candidate. I never watched ABC News and now I have a great reason not to start now. Shame on you ABC..

April 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  21. jim from Canada

No surprises in the debate. I'm disappointed that the moderators didn't go after Shrillary more aggressively. Why didn't they ask her outright why she lied about Bosnia and Chelsea and umpteen other untruths. Too much of a free ride for Billary. Please go home to Bubba and count your coin and shut up about your concern for working families. You're a fraud and a sleaze. Good riddance!!

April 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  22. miguel

David Brinkley must be turning hi his grave because of the eagerness of George Stephanopoulos and Charlie Gibson to sink to the bottom of the journalistic cesspool. The performance of the press in this debate did not serve the journalistic profession.

April 16, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  23. Yad

When ABC presents us with a circus and tells us it is a presidential debate, they seem to think that the audience will be cheering while they get munch on the popcorn!

ABC appears to think that the president of the USA needs to be a clown, and the citizenry a circus crowd. Sounds like a psychotic delusion to me... Is Dr. Phil in the house?

April 16, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  24. Michael

You have got to be kidding!! I went in with an open mind with the two moderators but was quickly reminded that dear "ole" George was still working for the Clintons. It was so lopsided with attacks on Obama and Clinton getting a free walk. Obama held his composure and actually helped Clinton out with his statements concerning that they were both entitled to some mistakes then she turned right around and tore him up. This is the first time I have voted Democrat – I cannot believe how the Party is falling apart with Hillary at the forefront of the demise. I could not vote Republican again because of their fractured Party and no decent Candidates. Please Democrats, don't leave all of disenfranchised also.

April 16, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |