April 16th, 2008

Obama releases 2007 federal tax return

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama released his 2007 federal tax return Wednesday, just hours before the Illinois senator and Democratic rival Hillary Clinton will take the stage at a debate in Philadelphia.

According to the campaign, the Obama's brought in a total income of $4,238,165, the vast majority of which came from sales of the White House hopeful's bestselling book.

More details provided by the campaign:

Adjusted gross income: $4,139,965
Salaried income: $260,735
Net profit from books: $3,943,378
Federal taxes paid: $1,396,772
Total charitable contributions for 2007: $240,370

Click here to view the Obamas' 2007 federal tax return on the Obama campaign's website.

1. FB

I need to write a book.

April 16, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  2. v.ananthan

OBAMA IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE:.........

GOD SAVE AMERICA.....

April 16, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

THE OPENING STATEMENTS OF THE DEBATE CLEARLY SHOW WHO IS MORE INTELLIGENT!!!!!!

OBAMA LOOKS SCARED TO DEATH!

AND HE SHOULD BE!!!!

HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!

April 16, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  4. JP SW

Gee, Michelle. I can see why you feel it's hard you make ends meet. It's tough with that kind of income. Well, at least you got your taxes out ...in time. Guess you two had no choice after criticizing Hillary for months.

No Obama...never!

Go Hillary! His speeches and excuses are wearing veeeery thin.

April 16, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  5. tell the truth

Is the news. I did not care about Clintion returns. I do not care about Obama or McCain returns. I care about problems Gas price, money in the my bank account, tax breaks. Please focus on the issues not this other stuff. Obama and Clintion supports should stop the fighting. Do not vote out of anger. Vote for you and your children.

I'm voting for Obama but would vote Hilliary. I think Hilliary support should support Obama.

Please think do you really wanted McCain

April 16, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  6. BL

Good for him.
    I am watching the debate and I will NEVER vote for him. If Clinton is not nominated, I bail...
    He is just not ready... To many excuses, to many speeches...

April 16, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  7. Danley Philip

I would like to comment on all this mis-characterization of Obama's statement in regards to the people who are deeply affected by the ever worsening economic conditions being bitter.
    First of all, I think CNN is mainly responsible for making this matter so widely misunderstood. CNN is very much aware of the type of damage that the media can do with this sort of information. I view CNN behavior as ingenuine and pretentious as they spin this demon from reporter to reporter, from newscaster to newscaster, and from Dobbs to Larry King. Now the problem is not "bitter" anymore, but 'cling'. When things are not going too well for me, I hold on to my faith in God. When times are difficult I cling to the support of my friends and family. Words do not have meaning by themselves. They take on the meaning of the context in which they were spoken and by whom. Now Obama never said that people run to religion. He used the word cling, another word for hold. This attack about elitism and out of touch is nothing but "grab straw politics by the Clintons and mischievous reporting by the media.

April 16, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  8. Sure

So Obama is a millionaire too!!

April 16, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  9. FEDUP

Well, guess who made over 4 million in just one year. This is only the beginning, maybe he can buy the rest of that lot from Rezko, I'm sure Rezko will need the money for his attorneys. He gave less then 5% to charity and that is probably to Trinity church. At least Hillary gave 10% of hers to charity. Wonder if that includes the money he took from Rezko that he donated? Bet he can't wait 'til he can give speeches for money. If elected, he could start writing them as soon as he takes office, like he started running for president as soon as he was elected to the US Senate

April 16, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  10. David D Kollie

At least non came from speeches made esle where as HRC consider Obama to be making speeches on the campaign trail. So what is his total income from 200 to 2007 as compared to the Clintons' income?

Does the Clintons' income quadraple-tripple Obama. If so who is the elist-out of touch?

It is good that he released.

April 16, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  11. Dave

Should be "the Obamas brought in..." not Obama's.

April 16, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  12. Steve TX.

Hillary Clinton has released her income tax records, and the first detail to come spilling out is the fact that she’s a lot more charitable than Barack Obama:
    The average American gives about 3.1% of his/her income to charity annually. So Obama, up until he decided to run for national office, contributed far less than the national average. Hillary, however, gave a great deal more than the national average on a regular basis, over 10%

April 16, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  13. FEDUP

Released at 18:00 hrs. Hummmm. Didn't Hillary catch flak for 14:00 hrs.?

April 16, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  14. Ilona Proud Canadian

CNN,

I give up! You Win!

April 16, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  15. Pam.

So what, obama did not open them all up, Why, does he have something to hide?

April 16, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  16. camarata

and people had the nerve to criticize clinton?

April 16, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  17. laura, CA

And the rest of the returns?
    They demanded ten years of returns from the Clintons, which of course took time to compile.
    The Obama's refuse to release theirs. I hate double-standards from supposedly high and mighty public servants.
    I'm tired of his two-stepping.

April 16, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  18. Pam.

I posted a comment, CNN will only post Clinton haters, i guess my post was not posted

April 16, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  19. Brian

Wow the Clinton's made a TON more money!

April 16, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  20. HH

Looks like Obama is the elitist. HAHAHA. Eat crow Billary.

April 16, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  21. Val

Gosh! Obama is the real deal! I'm impressed... Let's do away with the liars (aka Clintons) !!!

April 16, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  22. Godson

Can someone please call Lou Dobbs to order, he said on his show today that the Clintons had beat Obamas to releasing their tax return, that's gross misinformation, if he has any disliking for the Obamas, there are correct information that could still help him project that, I am an independent and can't afford to make a fool of myself by arguing wrongly with a piece of misinformation from Dobbs, it's unCNN

April 16, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  23. jp

i'm glad so many people read his books. they are personal, inspirational, and honest. he is going to be a great president.

April 16, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  24. T

In my view, the size of Hillary's head should make the voters be in total
    consternaton as the size of Karl Roves and Bill O'Reilly heads.

April 16, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  25. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

looks like Obama's charitable giving is close to 20% compared to the clintons at 10% with about 3 times the annual income of Obama.... says a lot about elitist millionairess Hillary and her claims to blue collar

April 16, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |