April 16th, 2008

Obama releases 2007 federal tax return

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama released his 2007 federal tax return Wednesday, just hours before the Illinois senator and Democratic rival Hillary Clinton will take the stage at a debate in Philadelphia.

According to the campaign, the Obama's brought in a total income of $4,238,165, the vast majority of which came from sales of the White House hopeful's bestselling book.

More details provided by the campaign:

Adjusted gross income: $4,139,965
Salaried income: $260,735
Net profit from books: $3,943,378
Federal taxes paid: $1,396,772
Total charitable contributions for 2007: $240,370

Click here to view the Obamas' 2007 federal tax return on the Obama campaign's website.

1. Lee

I'm not surprized that theClinton's race baiting and slash and burn campaign is failing. It's transparent to anyone with half a brain. I was flabbergasted to hear Hillary compare Gore to Obama indicating that he was not electable.. Gore lost mostly because of Clinton fatigue and everyone acknowledged it at the time. The problem is Americans have short memories. Do we really want to revisit the scandals of the Clinton's in office again? I can't even believe we are considering it accept Bush has been such a miserable failure that we are desperate for any change right about now.

April 16, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  2. Basanti

Clintons paid 10% of their income to charities. but i guess the fluff is more saleable than substance. IF barck is nominee, McCain has my vote. i just hope MCain picks good VP. barack would fail miserably at international level also. dont like to say it, but nationally, his lead seems to be because of higher turn out of african americans, which, by all means is great for the democracy, but doesnt reflect the complete population of the country. Yes, people across all races vote for all candidates, but its the African American vote thats taking barck over the line. It tells you, Ferraro was right on the money on her comment.

April 16, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  3. hypocrit

Honestly, tax returns are not my main concern...
    But pompous hypocracy is.

How can Obama believe that living in a foreign country as a child gives him an advantage in Foreign Policy experience?

First- the Islam of Indonesia of his youth in nothing like radical Islam of today ( more than 30 yrs later)

second- I was born in Italy and came to the USA at age 7- and I would not presume to know how Italians think and feel. Even Italian Americans can not be lumped into one pot. And how is Italy today, the same as Italy in a small poor town of 40 years ago?

Third- even then, teachers say he wanted to be #1, first in line, take charge. Sounds like the same snobby, holier-than thou Obama of today.

April 16, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  4. Enow Richard

As the campaigns gets more complicated, it is very necessary that he shows the American people that he too is a powerful guy, You are not doing bad, that is so much money that you have made, in am very impressed with these figures,

April 16, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  5. Shawn - GA

5.88% to Charity??? This is your guy who understands and cares for the little guy? Folks you need to realize what this guy is about for real not what he says.

April 16, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  6. Roderick

Obama for change!

April 16, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  7. JW

Hillary 08

April 16, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  8. A.M. Saqib

WOW! Way to go 'Obama'. Excellent idea to release the income tax return, and what an income from the sale of the book.

Go 'Obama' go .... 08.

A.M. Saqib
    Houston, Texas

April 16, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  9. Charlotte

Why is it if anyone mentions Rev. Wright some Obama-bot says,Rev. Wright is not running for President? I was always taught, your were judged by the company you keep. If you don't do drugs, you don't hang with those that do. If you like to play tennis, you don't hang with golfers. If you want to be President you don't hang with Anti-Americans. Especially for 20 years. I'll take Hillary anyday of the week, over Obamanation.

April 16, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  10. silly taxes

They are both filthy rich okay.

Obama at a younger age than Clinton.

So what? I do not begrudge people their success and prosperity. I want more Americans to be able to share in that.

My concern is that cocky, arrogant, dismissive, swaggering and bragging did not work for me with Bush- and I like it even less in a democrat.

Obama has dissapointed me with his jeering, mocking of other candidates, and with his attitude of superiority.

I thought he was a thoughtful and honest man.

Obama DOES NOT get my vote.

April 16, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  11. underdog

This true blue democrat always sides with the underdog.

In this campaign, with all its bias and rigging, that person was never Obama. He had the full support of wealthy celebrities and Democratic leaders and the DNC and the Media, the caucus format and the discounted votes.

Clinton, on the other hand was always slammed and criticized and ridiculed and demeaned and mocked and slandered. She is never praised for her poised responses- like the Faith forum.

On the underdog meter, she is the one everyone loved to hate and loved to throttle and bash.

I think the gender hurdle to the presidency is understated and the racial hurdle has been overstated. Again giving an unfair advantage to one over the other.

April 16, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  12. Bob

6% of his income to charity. The Clintons gave 40% of theirs.

What's the matter, Rezko didn't give him enough cash?

April 16, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  13. Sarah

This is such a non-issue. More Clinton BS. Look how long Clinton took to release hers. OBAMA 08'

April 16, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  14. Sarah

Congratulations on your book Obama. OBAMA 08' Good luck in your debate, and send her packing.

April 16, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  15. Peter Damoah-Afari

Good boy!!!! You are the honest one.

Obama 2008

April 16, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  16. Christian, Tampa FL

Well, now the Clintons and the McCains are only about $96 million more elitist than Obama.

April 16, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  17. Nate P

I don't see the point in candidate tax returns. What does that have to do with politics? I admit I don't follow politics, but what good does a tax return do? What does it prove? That Obama only donated 5% of his income to charity? Don't churches say 10% ? How about the religion aspect. I don't care what the Bible says, why should other people question the religion of a candidate anyway? I have so many questions.

I looked on Clinton's and Obama's websites. They have basically the same point of view for most of the issues. Issues are what's important, not someone's tax return, religion, what they said 4 years ago..... There is so much hatred.

This year is the first year I've actually followed politics somewhat. I read the CNN ticker daily. I'm a gay 27yo male in Minneapolis. To me, politics don't seem like it should be such a chore. I wish the posters on here would grow up.

April 16, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  18. Gary

Polls? What polls? You listed four polls showing Obama ahead. Who did they poll, Obama supporters? I think the news media makes these polls up. I'm almost 60 years old and no one has ever asked me to participate in any poll in my entire life. Obama verses McCain? I probably won't vote at all, why bother?

April 16, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  19. rezagui1@hotmail.com

Good thing he made some money on a couple of brilliant books, or he would be called out as too poor to compete politically with the elitists. For every hundred the Clintonas and McCain has, he has 4. Wait doesn't that mean the others are elitists? Yes, of course, unless they do a shot and a beer, or claim to be a regular guy. Give. Me. A. Break.

April 16, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  20. tina

he is already making milions and he is not even president yet. Just imagine how much dough he will be raking if he becomes president even for 4 years. Clinton income is going to look like petty change.

April 16, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  21. Joshua College Station Texas

Great! Thanks Barack for your transparency and quickness. It looks like a good way to make a whole lot of honest money is to write a good book!

April 16, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  22. lombardi

where are those other taxes mr.ob from 1996-1998 ob .

April 16, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  23. Ilona Proud Canadian

Since I cannot respond to the previous article about the 9 point lead that Sen Obama has over Sen. Clinton Nationally, I thought that I would take the opportunity here.

The Poll of Polls state that the time period within which this poll was taken was four days into the "bitter" issue, why then does CNN's newscasters keep saying on TV that these polls were conducted prior to this distorted issue. Please get the facts straight it was either before, during or after. I would really appreciate CNN clearing up this issue.

April 16, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  24. YMC

HILLARY WHERE IS YOUR 2007 TAX RETURNS. PA VOTERS WHAT IS SHE HIDING? CATHOLIC VOTERS DONT BE FOOL BY HILLARY, SHE HAS NO JESUS IN HER, SHE LIES, DISHONEST, CAN'T REMEMBER LAST TIME SHE WENT TO CHURCH AND SHE IS PLAYING AND MANIPULATING YOUR MINDS TO WIN. HILLARY DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ANYONE, SHE IS WORKING FOR THE DEVIL. HILLARY WILL HAVE AN EXCUSE WHY HER TAX RETURNS FOR 2007 WILL NOT BE READY BY APRIL 22ND, SHE IS SLICK, DONT BE PLAYED CATHOLIC VOTERS

April 16, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  25. Peter

dude, you are in my tax bracket.

you have my vote.