April 16th, 2008

Romney: 'Unlikely' that I'll be McCain's VP

CNN

Watch Mitt Romney discuss former rival John McCain.

(CNN) – Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney is downplaying his prospects for the vice presidential spot on the Republican ticket even as he continues to act as an important surrogate for his party’s presumptive nominee on the economy, a key issue in the presidential campaign.

“I think it’s very unlikely that I will be John McCain’s running mate,” the former Massachusetts governor told CNN’s Campbell Brown Tuesday night. “There’s so many good folks that are out there, and the other folks haven’t been rivals in the presidential sweepstakes.”

Romney and McCain had a history of frosty relations before the former governor ended his presidential bid.

Romney weighed in on the controversy over Sen. Barack Obama’s comments about rural Americans. “He showed a disdain for people who have values that are different than his own,” he told CNN, echoing similar comments by McCain Tuesday.

Romney also told Brown that he was “glad” the Democratic nomination race had lasted so long, “so that we get the chance to know Barack Obama better.”

“We’ve known Hillary Clinton for some tim,e but Barack Obama’s been kind of an unknown commodity and now we’re getting a better sense of who the man is,” said Romney.

1. Brandon

I am an Obama backer but McCain would be a fool to choose anyone before the Dem nominee is decided, and I am sure this will be his course.

McCain will need a VP to play to different strengths based on the candidate he is facing in the fall.

That being said, I don't think Romney is a good choice, so I hope McCain chooses this plastic politician.

April 16, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. Andy J, NY

I'll say it again, Romney is an alright dude.

April 16, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  3. honkey white guy from cali

I hope this is true He really is the only running mate that would give Mc Cain any hope. I doubt he would like to be on the ticket thought because lets face it who wants to be on the losing side. Mc Cains chances are not good!!

Go Obama 08

April 16, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  4. ***AMERICAN***

If not Rice, then Romney. Still just a dream.

April 16, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. Grif

John needs a Woman, as his VP. Time will come, and the choice will be made... He really needs Hillary Clinton! She should jump ship, and see how many of the women votes, go with her.. "A Democrat", is just a Label. When you want to buy something, you go to the store where you expect to find it. ..

April 16, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Chriss

Romney for VP!

No here is a guy who is really in touch with the people!

"Who let the dogs out! Who? Who?"

“Oh, you’ve got some bling-bling here.”

Obama '08

April 16, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. Alex H

Romney would be a good choice for McCain. The guy knows how to handle money/finance and understands the economy. And although he refrained from giving a real answer about gay marriage, abortion, don't ask don't tell, etc. during the Republican debates... you know where he really stands (just look at MA). He's got a liberal heart under conservative pressure with a conservative wallet.

Will I vote for him? Nah... but many will.

April 16, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |