April 16th, 2008

The Boss backs Obama

Bruce Springsteen put his weight behind Obama Wednesday.
Bruce Springsteen put his weight behind Obama Wednesday.

(CNN) - Rocker Bruce Springsteen has endorsed Barack Obama for president.

“At the moment, critics have tried to diminish Senator Obama through the exaggeration of certain of his comments and relationships,” said the New Jersey native, in a statement posted on his Web site Wednesday. “While these matters are worthy of some discussion, they have been ripped out of the context and fabric of the man's life and vision… Over here on E Street, we're proud to support Obama for President.”

In February, Springsteen had resisted making a choice between Obama and Hillary Clinton, telling USA Today that "there are two really good Democratic candidates for president. I admire and respect them both enough to wait and see what happens."

But he praised Obama, who cited Springsteen as the person he would most like to meet in an interview with People magazine.

"I always look at my work as trying to measure the distance between American promise and American reality," he told the paper. "And I think (Obama's) inspired a lot of people with that idea: How do you make that distance shorter? …”

Springsteen backed Sen. John Kerry's unsuccessful 2004 presidential bid.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ovitshio Branco

Street of Philadelphia

Great song

April 16, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. MP-Pennsylvania

Now this is from an American who knows what is going around, not like Elton John who has no clue.

April 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  3. jean jaye

Dear Bruce, you backed the wrong guy in 2004 and now the wrong guy in 2008. Hillary will win PA and the remaining states. Unfortunately the Obama train has run out of gas but mostly credibility.

April 16, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Xavier of Saint Louis, MO

Smart man!

April 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  5. kp

I believe Springteen has it exactly right. Come on dems lets rally around Obama!

April 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. Obama support in Iowa

Will Hillary support Obama when he wins the nomination? Inquiring minds want to know.

April 16, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. Bill

Hopefully Obama's campaign with Springsteen's backing will go the way of the Kerry campaign.

April 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  8. CW4Barak

As goes the Boss, so goes the country!!

Obama '08

April 16, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  9. SNOBama

So?

April 16, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  10. David, Tx

help obama by making billary go away.......

April 16, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  11. Reality check #1

The "Boss" just lost me as a fan.

April 16, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  12. Jonathan

Looks like Springsteen is backing another loser.

April 16, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  13. Terry

I like Bruce Springstten and the E Street Band. But who he supports or does not support for president does not sway me in the least.

April 16, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. MP-Pennsylvania

Susan MO,

We are not insulted. Obama said the truth.

Unemployed middle aged woman for Obama.

April 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. m

Well, if Bruce Springsteen wants Obama, then Obama should be elected. What is this anyway? Everytime anyone says anything good about Obama, it gets headlines...when so many people endorse Hillary, no media even bats an eye.

April 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  16. Mota Nginya - Georgia

I am not sure about the importance of this endorsement. The last time I checked The Boss was not a supper delegate but what ever the case might be, any endorsement, irrespective of wheather it comes from a non grata is important. On that note I'll like to also announce here that I have endorsed Senato Barrack Obama for President.

April 16, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. Eddie

I feel Obama is not perfect but Hillary the lady who think she was called by God scares me.I will cast my vote for Obama too,because both candidates have thier appeal and thier short comings.It just seems Hillary is more disingenuine.

April 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  18. Steven James

The Boss has spoken! Good call Bruce! Would you consider being his running mate?

April 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  19. Bitter

I'm bitter that Obama has been able to buy the vote.

I'm angry that this nomination has been rigged by the DNC

April 16, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. mollygonz

Everything he said was right on! Way to go Bruce!!!

April 16, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  21. BL-NYC

Amazing how when Senator Obama gets a celebrity endorsment its news!
    Senator Clinton gets a new endorsment every day people!

I can't wait to NOT vote for Obama.

April 16, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  22. Peg

Thanks! Bruce!

April 16, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  23. jm

Another person who we try to make news out of.

April 16, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  24. Jean

GO OBAMA!!!!!

April 16, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  25. A Proud Typical Ordinary American

That does it!
    Bruce, 50 cents, Snoop Dog, Al, Jesse, Oprah, Ted, John K all endorsing Barry. You just can't go wrong with all these big guns rooting for Barry.

I think I'll look at all the issues and decide for MYSEL:F who to vote for in November!!!

April 16, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |