April 16th, 2008

The Boss backs Obama

Bruce Springsteen put his weight behind Obama Wednesday.
Bruce Springsteen put his weight behind Obama Wednesday.

(CNN) - Rocker Bruce Springsteen has endorsed Barack Obama for president.

“At the moment, critics have tried to diminish Senator Obama through the exaggeration of certain of his comments and relationships,” said the New Jersey native, in a statement posted on his Web site Wednesday. “While these matters are worthy of some discussion, they have been ripped out of the context and fabric of the man's life and vision… Over here on E Street, we're proud to support Obama for President.”

In February, Springsteen had resisted making a choice between Obama and Hillary Clinton, telling USA Today that "there are two really good Democratic candidates for president. I admire and respect them both enough to wait and see what happens."

But he praised Obama, who cited Springsteen as the person he would most like to meet in an interview with People magazine.

"I always look at my work as trying to measure the distance between American promise and American reality," he told the paper. "And I think (Obama's) inspired a lot of people with that idea: How do you make that distance shorter? …”

Springsteen backed Sen. John Kerry's unsuccessful 2004 presidential bid.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Indiana Voter

Yea!!!!!

Obama all the way!!

April 16, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  2. Omentum

Now if he would have came out and backed Annie Oakley... would you feel the same way?????

April 16, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. James

why include that last line? terrible journalism...

April 16, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. ECHEWEOZO

political ticker

April 16, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Danielle

Hopefully, we hear who Brittany Spears is endorsing soon, because I vote for the candidate with the most rock stars supporting them. Let's get real.

April 16, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  6. julie MN

I'm so glad this race is still going, I can then take notes of all the far left radicals in the dem party, I'm a Democrate, BUT not far left! Not to mention I get to see which news shows, newspapers,talk radio are supporting this radical far left agenda! Very interesting. As for Obama at the start of this heated election, people were yelling he's anti-American, and you know what, HE IS. It's come full circle...

April 16, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  7. marylee wagerman atlanta,ga

Susan MO

I guess you prefer a President that lies?

April 16, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. James

Who cares, hopefully it will do him as much good as it did Kerry and he will not win either.

April 16, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  9. John, Washington DC

I guess that means the 'boss' is not bitter?

April 16, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  10. sheri

I was waiting for Bruce to tell me who he's voting for...do these people really think we're hanging on their every word and that they have any influence on intelligent voters?

April 16, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  11. Abush

Pennselvania, No wonder, all eyes are on you,... your making a fool out of yourself, rather get to your senses and vote,.... you are being punked, Obama is telling it like it is. The whole world is "bitter" .. just incase you dont know.

April 16, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. denise

all well and good but he's not a superdelegate

April 16, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  13. Karen in Cape Cod

Give me a break!

April 16, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  14. HK

Best. Endorsement. Ever.

April 16, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  15. Kelly

People in Pennsylvania love the Boss, since NJ is our neighbor and the Jersey Shore is the Philly shore. Practically a hometown boy.

April 16, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  16. Why does it matter?

Why does it matter that Bruce Springsteen is endorsing him? I am happy that he has the endorsement, but is this really news? Let's not lose focus.

Obama '08

April 16, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  17. Luis

Oh, I guess Obama is a lock now........comical.

Print something newsworthy...........................

April 16, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  18. Paul - TX

We'd be better off if Obama was endorsing Bruce for President.

April 16, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  19. missy, nashville, tn

i've always been a boss fan, but his is the first thing he has done that isn't a hit. I guess the boss like bigots and racist. and big time liars. but also the boss endorsed Kerry, so I guess the boss has chosen to line up behind losers

April 16, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. John

Who cares?! Why is this even news? At least its better than the story about 50 cent , who can't even vote, backing him. Can we get a story on Obama's policies that he is running on or is there not enough material?

April 16, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. jean boozer

How can one person be called the boss in Obama's race for the white house? In my opinion I feel Mr Obama has become a little arrogant with some of his speeches. I'm sure my comment won't make the comment section.

April 16, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  22. Brooke

Why is this news? Who really cares? If people are swayed by this man's endorsement, or any other "celebrity's" endorsement, we have a serious problem in our country.

April 16, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  23. Connie

Way to go, Boss! You've chosen wisely.

OBAMA '08

April 16, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  24. Marion, NC

Whether Obama wins the nomination or not, Springsteen has just backed another loser.

April 16, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. Kelly

""Springsteen backed Sen. John Kerry's unsuccessful 2004 presidential bid."
    So did half of America, CNN."

The good half!