April 16th, 2008

The Boss backs Obama

Bruce Springsteen put his weight behind Obama Wednesday.
Bruce Springsteen put his weight behind Obama Wednesday.

(CNN) - Rocker Bruce Springsteen has endorsed Barack Obama for president.

“At the moment, critics have tried to diminish Senator Obama through the exaggeration of certain of his comments and relationships,” said the New Jersey native, in a statement posted on his Web site Wednesday. “While these matters are worthy of some discussion, they have been ripped out of the context and fabric of the man's life and vision… Over here on E Street, we're proud to support Obama for President.”

In February, Springsteen had resisted making a choice between Obama and Hillary Clinton, telling USA Today that "there are two really good Democratic candidates for president. I admire and respect them both enough to wait and see what happens."

But he praised Obama, who cited Springsteen as the person he would most like to meet in an interview with People magazine.

"I always look at my work as trying to measure the distance between American promise and American reality," he told the paper. "And I think (Obama's) inspired a lot of people with that idea: How do you make that distance shorter? …”

Springsteen backed Sen. John Kerry's unsuccessful 2004 presidential bid.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Maggie

Pennsylvania folks are not being "Bamboozled" by anyone but Obama or as I call him "OhBlahBlah".

April 16, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  2. Independent

He even has a supporter right here in Thalia, Tx

April 16, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. dEMABRAT

That's alright Bruce, I still like your music.

April 16, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  4. AJ

Another idiot heard from...

April 16, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  5. fred2 the idiot took my name

Who cares!! He also backed Kerry!!

April 16, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  6. Matt

I wonder if Barack will start using the Boss' hit "Small Town" (Sorry, don't know if that is the actual name of the song or not, but you what song I am talking about) now on the campaign trail??

April 16, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  7. JimmyBoy

Does any body care care what he thinks? Go back tour rocks or your rock band and leave the thinking to someone whose mind hasn't been disturbed over the years.

April 16, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  8. Who cares........

What a bunch of egos!
    What a bunch of loosers.....
    And to think some morons will vote for Obama because of this.

April 16, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  9. Lee WV

Might help sway a few middle age women.

April 16, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  10. Edward Nelson, Mount Vernon, NY

This is confirmation that Bruce and I are of the same mind. This election reminds me of my favorite Bruce Springstein song, "One Step Up, Two Steps Back': "Woke up this mornin' my house was cold, checked the furnace it wasn't burnin'. Went outside jumped in my old Ford, hit the engine but she ain't turnin'. Givin' each other some hard lessons lately . . . we ain't learnin'." Like the furnace, Hillary Clinton is surrounded by superdelegates who have lost the burning love they once had for her. More importantly, she's tried to excite the superdelegates, like the Ford, but nothing is happening. By implication it's a hard lesson, but Hillary Clinton just isn't learning.

April 16, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  11. Former Clinton Voter

I agree with Bruce, Obama is the right person to save this country.
    I know there are still people who support Hillary, but I ask them to join me as I have done now and let's unite behind Obama. There greater good is to change the direction of this country.

April 16, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  12. We are all BITTER

Everyone who is leaving a comment on here sounds Bitter to some extent, especially the CLINTONITES who are clearly Bitter about OBAMA sailing to victory....recognizing that people are bitter is not a crime, its reality

April 16, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  13. Bitter Young Black Female

Wooo hoooo! Yes we can Bruce!

I have to admit, growing up, I was a fan of your song "Born in the USA."

I'm glad to see that you're intelligent enough not to fall for Billary's tricks and schemes.

Obamista NYC

April 16, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  14. Tony

Perfect! Now Hillary is finished. Go Obama.

April 16, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  15. P Graber

A vote for Hillary Clinton means never having to say you're sorry.

April 16, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  16. John Zeger

Who cares? Anyway, Springstein is a has-been.

April 16, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  17. Elaine

I can see that cnn doesnt like the truth

April 16, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  18. Marla

This should have been breaking news. Maybe tomorrow CNN will announce who Ozzy Osborne is endorsing.

April 16, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  19. paulie_nj

The headline should read, "Has-been backs loser"!

April 16, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. Walt, Belton,TX

Wow! That should make all the difference in the world, unless you can think for yourself and interpret what Obama has said and what he meant for yourself. Perhaps Springstein could also interpret what Obama's wife meant with her elitist, racist comments, too. Oh thank you, thank you wonderful one!

April 16, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  21. ne, Pennsylvania

I'm in Pa. and I wasn't insulted or bamboozled by Obama. I'm so glad he's speaking the truth. We need new blood and new direction in Washington.

April 16, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  22. ariel

Too cool.Thanks, Bruce.
    Obama/Rendell 08

April 16, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  23. jasmine

Well, there goes my respect for Bruce. Can't imagine why he'd back Obama. If Obama wins the democratic poll, then I guess I'm voting for Mccain. Never never for obama!

April 16, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. ***AMERICAN***

Once again, where is the news! Who cares what he thinks.

April 16, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  25. NickNas

Hey Hillary supporters!!

Hint: Being so negative and slamming EVERYONE who doesn't agree with your candidate makes you look JUST LIKE CLINTON!

I bet you don't even get this!

OH YES and I almost forgot. WE KNOW 99% of you One liner posters are the SAME person trying to clog this forum with your negative input.

April 16, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |