April 17th, 2008

Blitzer: I'm meeting the pope. Stay tuned.

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The historic visit to Washington by Pope Benedict XVI has been very exciting, for Catholics and non-Catholics alike. I must say the sounds and sights have been amazing. The arrival ceremony at Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington followed by the very warm welcome on the South Lawn of the White House and the Mass at the new Washington Nationals baseball stadium were seen by millions in the United States and around the world, who will continue to watch over the next few days.

I will be anchoring our Situation Room coverage today from the campus of The Catholic University of America here in Washington. The Pope will be coming over to speak to leaders of America’s Catholic universities. He will also have a separate meeting with leaders from other religions. We, of course, will have extensive live coverage on CNN.

It will also be a very special moment for me, and here’s why:

At one point during our coverage today, I will disappear, and our chief national correspondent, John King, will take over. That’s because the president of Catholic University, Father David O’Connell, has invited a small group, including me, to meet with the Pope on campus. Though I am not a Catholic, I have had a special relationship with the university over the years. Two years ago, I gave the commencement address there and received an honorary degree. Needless to say, this will be a very exciting moment for me, and I will report on the meeting during our coverage today. As we say in our business: Stay tuned.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Clara

Quoting the Pope

His homily was more somber. Benedict examined American society, saying he detected anger and alienation, increasing violence and a "growing forgetfulness of God."

"Americans have always been a people of hope," he said. "Your ancestors came to this country with the experience of finding new freedom and opportunity.

Obama couldn't have asked for a better endorsement

April 17, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  2. Jay

While I am an Obama supporter, I do not see how presidential politics play into this article. At no time in the article were the candidates mentioned.
    And even though I am not Catholic, I have many friends that are. I must say that it would be a great honor to meet a man with such an influence on the world.
    So, Wolf, I'm very glad you got this opportunity.

April 17, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. Clara

Anger and bitter Endorsement!!

The Pope just endorsed Obama . I am Catholic and I am well versed with the words of the pope. He is asking Americas to look to the future and embrace hope

Quoting the Pope

Pope couldnt have put Obamas words better!!

April 17, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. jl

CONGRATS WOLF!

Please show us a close-up pic of your gift.

April 17, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. Lu

Congratulations and enjoy meeting the pope!

April 17, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  6. MD

I don't trust you Wolf. You actually do remind me of a Wolf. Your reports seem to be out of touch with reality.

April 17, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  7. Will

Cool..Yeah I caught a glimpse of him inside the motorcade on Andrews AFB but I did not have a ticket to get close enough to actually try to shake his hand. All I could do was wave and hope he would see.

April 17, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  8. barry

i dont think i have ever seen wolfe so excited and truely happy....
    wolfe, it definately works for you. no harm in showing us your softer side....i liked it...

April 17, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. barry

i thought i heard that the pope endorsed senator clinton today

April 17, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. Prince Noel

Way to go wolf, the situation room has been a must watch for all of us unlike LouDobb

April 17, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. Charles

John Smith, youre a typical Obamanite, snob and bitter about common people's admiration for Hillary. Oh no!, I mean according to your candidate anyone who doesn't support the Almighty Obama is "bitter and angry"... By the way what is the whereabouts these days the educated, learned and "humble" First Friend, Tony Rezko?

April 17, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. Lynn Hudson

Congrats Wolf. I guess you can imagine how many Catholics would give anything to meet him or even see him. God forgive me but I am really jealous. That being said, I'm glad it was you who got to meet him and I am happy that you treasure the opportunity. Lynn in Columbia, Mo.

April 17, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  13. Pat Owen

I am so tired of the Obama supporters, They think all the Hillart people are stupid. But you people had better wake up""this man will finish destroying our country. I think he is the anti-christ. Read Revolutions.

April 17, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  14. billy

ON WOLF'S PICTURE WITH THE POPE JACK CAFFERTY ASKED WOLF WHAT WAS HE THINKING? THE POPE SAID," WOLF BILTZER.?,DARN! I THOUGHT THEY SAID "WOLFMAN JACK".

April 17, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  15. jimmy vekmen

WOLF BLITZER ONE OF THE MOST WELL-SPOKEN AND AND KNOWLEDGABLE CNN REPORTER WHO HARDLY MISSES
    A WORD OR TWO EVERYTIME HE IS ON TV, WAS . WOULD YOU
    BELIEVE , S-P-E-E-C-H-L-E-S-S WHEN HE SHOOK HANDS WITH THE POPE.. WOLF, WHAT ABOUT SAYING: hI POPE BENEDICT!

April 17, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  16. Ilona Proud Canadian

John Pittsburgh,

You are so right on!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  17. Sister Mary Ruth

Dear Mr. Blitzer,

We are so pleased that you are proud to be invited to meet Pope Benedict. The coverage has been positive and informative and my community and I are grateful.

April 17, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |