April 17th, 2008

Obama campaign fundraises off Wednesday debate

The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate.
The Obama campaign is looking to score donations over Wednesday’s tough debate.

(CNN) - Barack Obama’s campaign is fundraising over the tough questions aimed at the Illinois senator during Wednesday night’s debate.

“Did you see the debate last night?” writes campaign manager David Plouffe in an e-mail sent to supporters Thursday. He writes that the forum featured more “gotcha politics and distractions” than discussion of the issues.

Plouffe added that Clinton seemed “all too comfortable with that type of debate” and was running a “100% negative campaign in Pennsylvania, taking every opportunity to make personal and discredited attacks against Senator Obama. You can send a message that politics doesn't have to be played this way.”

He said that the campaign is looking to reach the 1.5 million donor mark by May 6, the day of the Indiana and North Carolina primaries.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ready for Change

Well I'm surprised some aren't asking for their money back, after his pitiful performace last night. He honestly doesn't seem to have any clear idea of policy at all. Just hateful words.

April 17, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  2. Quinn

I am convinced that Obama will be our next president. Nothing of significance comes easy, and that certainly applies for the presidency of the United States.

Obama is going through the fiery furnace. A few weeks ago, he was just a piece of clay, but he is being molded by the fire into a true work of art. Remember the old saying, "if it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger."

Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly...and now Gibson, know that Obama has a real shot at winning and making this nation a better place for ordinary people. Everyday they sound like they HATE him, but the truth is they FEAR him. That's why they keep hammering the same tired stories and hoping that one day you will "wake up" and adopt the same fear. Well, those guys must be really frustrated right now. America has never been wiser. We haven't been swayed by such "bitter" old men.

Thanks to you...we are taking our country back and moving forward.

God Bless America!

Obama 08!

April 17, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. demo craxy

I will be donating again for the second time this week. this is about our future and the future of our children so. And everytime i see her old same old, the more I want this to change for good......

yes...........lets keep donating....... I will reach 100 people via email to donate to Senator Obama............... and since Hilary has foreigners fundraising for her, i will contact everyone around the world who i know to donate as well..........the world also is watching........ we all want a better future.

no more clintons and bushes

April 17, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  4. Brenda

Great news for Obama. Sen. Clinton doesn't want things to change, why would she after making 109 million dollars just the way it is. Vote for Obama 08

April 17, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  5. Mike R. California

The Dems have given the GOP an early Christmas gift. Hillary (like Bill) is a pathological liar. She will say, or do, ANYTHING in order to get elected. It's about power, not serving the people. Admit it to yourselves, Hillary supporters. More and more people who can actually think for themselves are seeing right through this candidate. She and her husband are, without doubt, political prostitutes.

As for Obama, again we must be honest with ourselves before we can properly critique him. His voting record in the senate demonstrates a pattern of wishy-washy – don't dare take a stand LACK of voting that should, by itself, show he is not a leader! He has abstained from so many votes that he should be ashamed to refer to himself as a senator. He was elected to represent his constituency and has failed miserable every time he declined to vote on an issue. What kind of leader does NOTHING in order to "not make a mistake that could come back on him"? Furthermore, and again this requires one to be honest with ones self: he has involved himself for decades with a radical sect of "Americans", if they can call themselves that. His wife is more racially biased than anyone in mainstream politics could ever get away with. Why is she allowed to do this? Are we afraid to call an African American a racist? Pathetic. Wake up people!

John McCain is by no means a perfect candidate. He does, however, often buck the entire system and refuse to toe the party line. He has his own ethical standards and sticks to them more than any other candidate we've seen in quite some time. He is experienced in life, politics, and war. He has seen the worst war has to offer. Again, be honest: would this man subject so many people from so many countries to the horrors of war without reasonable cause? No matter who takes over, they will have to deal with extremism and our security and make decisions about how best to use or not to use our military.

Appeasement has been shown throughout history to be an unlikey resolution in the long run. We don't speak German and live under tyranny because of the blood of millions of brave souls in the 20th century. Don't piss on their graves. Our military is based on a volunteer army. Don't join without considering the chance of being deployed in a deadly situation. If all you want is free training and college money but don't want to serve the security of your country STAY OUT OF THE ARMED FORCES.

Admit to yourself one last thing: it is not, and has never been, humanly possible to peacefully coexist on this planet. Think about it. I certainly don't have an answer to fix it. I do know that large portions of our national treasure are given out as aid to many, many countries around the globe. We are not that bad! People didn't cry about our involvement around the world so much when the big bad Soviet Union posed a threat. If a nuke of any size gets detonated in New York, or most places in this country, you can say goodbye to the American way of life as our financial system will collapse like a deck of cards. We will be worthless. Try and get some money from your investments or bank accounts when the system collapses. No commerce, no money to buy food, looting, bare cupboards and fighting among ourselves for the Darwinian right to survive. Do you think it can't happen? Just wake the hell up and be an American who supports America. That is the best we can do. Then, we take our chances living in a dangerous world.

April 17, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  6. moma for Obama

Dear Senator Obama
    Please know that I am a single mother of a wonderful child and thus I am making my contribution to your campaign.
    I realize that times are hard, as I realize that you are honest. I have chosen to vote for you, and donate to the campaign because I simply can not afford and bear to have the same old same old for my daughter. I love this country very much, as a foreing born person but someone who spend most of her life here, I truly think that this is the best democracy in this earth; oportunity opens for everyone who is willing and works hard, and even when there are obstacles the American people I know will help you. this is the one place where like you keep saying to all, one can agree to disagree, one can freely drive a car with a bump sticker that has one's favority candidate without having repercusions. I think that you represent many of our hopes and ideas, and I think y ou are the one person trying to heal the many wounds in our society. AT times I think that most voters might not yet be catching up with what you are trying to do, however, I also think that most americans can reach within their hearts and see beyond what is being published in the biased media. I know that as you have respect for some Republicans they have respect for you.
    my letter, Senator , in brief, is a pledge to ask you not to give into what the status quo wants you to give in....... we are hard working people and want our kids to go to school, to travel, to enjoy peace, have a better economy and a better world overall.
    no matter what they say and do (the clintons, because if you can deal with them and overcome their tricks, you have it made, evne the republicans cant be that toxic) you will be our President......

may you have all the energy to fight this toxic political war.

April 17, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  7. Baby Girl

I wonder if ABC rating will go down. I know I am not watching the shows anymore. Bad deal and waste of time.

April 17, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  8. fred

You all are totally wasting your money...if Hillary doesn't get the nominee....McCain will win over Obama by a landslide!!

April 17, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  9. kw50

TO: DJ, LA, CA April 17th, 2008 2:59 pm ET
    Yes…the questions were a joke by ABC. Typical tabloid style cheap journalism to skip the important policy-related questions.
    Instead ABC felt compelled to DWELL on stupid wedge issues. Broken record yet again on Rev. Wright. Those were not even Obama's words! Why do they keep dwelling?
    Gotta love Obama's comback at George when he said that he was only 8 years old when Ayers did those things. Also when he left Clinton speechless when he confronted her about when Bill pardoned them, which is 100x more significant that having a discussion.
    _________________ ______________________________
    AMEN!!! AMEN!!!! AMEN!!!!!
    Doesn't Hillary know by now that God, doesn't like ugly, make-up or not.

April 17, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  10. NOBAMA

I have donated to the Hillary campaign today for the 6th time and so has my large Latino family.

I can never support that hypocrite and America will see sooner or later what a fake Obama is.

April 17, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  11. ERIforOBAMA

Since January, I have contriubated $50.00 every month. Go Obama08.

April 17, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  12. Robin

I am a Clinton supporter and it does not seem she will get the nomination. I hate to vote for McCain but I will if Obama does not start answering some questions. He dismisses them as just a distraction from the real issues, but to me they are important issues

April 17, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  13. Susie

I would write a comment but I know only pro-Obama comments allowed.

April 17, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  14. Charlie

You Americans are a joke to the rest of the world. How can you possibly let another Republican run your country??? Hahaha. Maybe you should allow McCain to be President.... then your country can continue to sink. Can you imagine that? The "most powerful country" on Earth kills itself because they're idiots. I cannot believe this. Through a foreign perspective (over in the UK here) Obama is a good candidate to restore democracy and prosperity in the States. Open your eyes America before it's too late. I've been to N.Y. many times and I'd hate to see it fall apart just like the rest of your nation. Wake up and God Bless. -C

April 17, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  15. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

It seemed to have been "set up" by Hillary. The channel, the Moderators, Charlie Gibson, George Stephanopolus, were
    blatently against Obama. Hillary had to get the 'wink" from
    her two good friends and she had to know that it was going
    to be a "cake walk." for her. She was a little "too comfortable".
    I don't know how many times that the camera went over to
    Chelsey and Rendell, possible the new Sec. of Energy.
    I heard that George Stephanopololus was on Hannity's
    radio show the day before. Everything Hillary "sets up" is
    evil, cruel, and dirty politics.
    Had Obama refused this debate, for reasons that he felt
    that it was going to be a set up, Hillary would have "jumped
    all over him."
    Last I checked on ABC ticker, 14,000 people responded and
    9 out of 10 were infuriated with Hillary and most said that
    it was the "worst" debate ever!!!!! If you would like to check
    go to ABC News Online and read the ticker.!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  16. Susan / PA

Hey ..Not an Issue,

Hillary cannot have it both ways.....run on her husbands coattails and not be just as responsible for those two pardons. period.

April 17, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. Apollyon

I sent my tax refund check of $965 to him two weeks ago. And if he needs it, I'll send whatever I get for my "rebate". Can someone enlighten me as to what the maximum an individual can send into a candidate? Thanks.

April 17, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

ABC News Online, at least 14,000 people pounded ABC
    for the worst debate Ever. Check it out. People are infuriated!!!
    9 out of ten were in favor of Obama and many switched because
    of this "unfair debate.!!! THEY CALL IT THE WORST DEBATE EVER.

April 17, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  19. Jamie C.

Is no one else beginning to notcice the negativity emerging from Obama's campaign that he has so vehemently spoke out against? If he wants to end partisan attacks, he should not take part in them. If he wants to stay out of the "typical politics" of a race, then he should not be using the back-and-forth insults from the race as fodder for fundraising on his website.

April 17, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  20. kw50

TO: not the issue April 17th, 2008 3:06 pm ET
    Hillary Clinton is not accountable for the pardons of past presidents.
    ____________________________________________
    That's where you're wrong, all along she said she was apart his his cabinet. So, I say; the sins of her husband are the sins she bears as well.

April 17, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. jd

Gotcha is right and so is , gee lets all three of us pick on Obama. Shame on ABC. Wow it was an AMBUSH. OBAMA/08

April 17, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. just a guy

If Hillary looses the democratic nomination is she planning to run as an independent? I don't think she cares about anything as long as she is the president. I think the same goes for her supporters too.

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  23. mary

Why didnt Charlie Gibson stick to the issues American people want to hear about school grants,people losing jobs,losing theire homesand high gas prices.forget about Hillarys lies about being shot at while exiting the airplane. Forget about Rev Wright he is no longer Obamas Pastor Mary from Olhio

April 17, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  24. mary

I thought people were struggling in these hard times, apparently these same people have money to send to Obama. I guess the economy isn't that bad. How come the media uses Hillary's middle name but never Obama's???

April 17, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  25. Bernice

ONLY MEAN AND NEGATIVE PEOPLE CAN SUPPORT HILLARY'S CONDUCT LAST NIGHT! SHE IS AN BRUTE OF A WOMAN AND EVERY TIME SHE OPENS HER MOUTH SHE MAKES HERSELF LOOK EVEN WORST.

OH BUT WHAT CAN SHUT HER MOUTH? THE TRUTH WHEN IT WAS SLAMMED IN HER FACE. I COUNTED THREE TIMES LAST NIGHT SHE HAD NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO SHUT UP!

1.HER PASTOR KNOWS AND SPEAKS WELL OF REV. WRIGHT

2. OBAMA REMINDED HER SHE WAS RECORDED SAYING SHE WOULD DO SOMETHING, THAT SHE SWORE TO THE PEOPLE SHE WOULD NEVER DO. SHE DID NOT REALIZE SHE WAS BEING RECORDED, BUT SHE WAS! SHE GOT CAUGHT LYING AGAIN!!!!

3. HER HUSBAND PARDONED TWO TERRORISTS THAT HAD MADE THREATS AGAINST AMERICAN!!!!!!!!

OH HOW IT HURT HER TO TELL THE TRUTH LAST NIGHT WHEN THEY PRESSED HER BY ASKING IF SHE THOUGHT OBAMA IS ELECTABLE. SHE FIRST TRIED TO SKATE AROUND IT, BUT FINALLY THE MEDIA DID NOT LET HER, THEY DEMANDED AN ANSWER!! SHE SAID YES! YES! YES! THIS TRUTH ALMOST KILLED HER!

TRUTH IS FORIEGN TO HER