April 17th, 2008

Obama says NC could crown him the nominee

RALEIGH, North Carolina (CNN) -– Barack Obama said Thursday that the North Carolina primary could be decisive.

"If we can win in North Carolina, I think we can wrap up this nomination," Obama told an overflow crowd of supporters outside his event in Raleigh. "And if we can win this nomination I think we can beat John McCain."

"I think everybody understands how important this election is," he continued. "North Carolina is going to be critically important."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. BV

Vote McCain, Jorge. Then explain to your children when our country is owned by China and in endless wars in the middle east that you couldn't vote Democrat because you had to pout and make a point to punish the Obama supporters for not going with YOUR choice. What next? You gonna hold your breath if you don't get what you want for dinner tonight? Grow up.

April 17, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  2. jimmy vekmen

North Carolina will not taka Obama over the top.

April 17, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  3. suzanne

I know many Clinton supporters who will vote for McCain in the general election if Obama is the nominee. There are many reasons for this not the least of which is the surly, nasty way his supporters have bashed Hillary and her supporters during the Primaries. Good luck in November Obamabots. You are going to need it.

April 17, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  4. dAnnE

Now Ken,
    I disagree with Lopez as well, but that was just mean.

April 17, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  5. Walt

Once the superdelegates weigh in after Pennsylvania it will be over. After North Carolina, I would no longer mention her name; just campaign against McCain. Ignore her and she will go away (whining, kicking and screaming!)

April 17, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  6. Fred Atlanta, GA

To Jorge Lopez: just so you know that when he gets the nomination a WHOLE LOT OF REAL DEMOCRATS will be voting for Obama because we believe it's time for someone BRAND NEW in washington so you and the rest of your democrats can sit idley by wishing you had done something about our economy, the ridiculous war, people losing jobs, gas prices, etc. You can sit and watch this country go down further in the abyss of the STATUS QUO if you want to, but those of us that are TRUELY ready for real change will see that it happens PLEASE BELIEVE IT!!!!

Obama 08/12 YES WE CAN and YES WE WILL!!!

April 17, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  7. cathy

Mike, Do not confuse Hillary beating Obama up during the debate with beating him in the debate, Just because she is a bully doesn't mean she won.

April 17, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. akaDoug

Lots of whining Clinton supporters out today...not a surprise since their candidate is a whiner too! Must be sad to see a decent candidate have her campaign go completely to pieces. Well maybe in 8 years!

April 17, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  9. North Carolina

North Carolina voters can still remember that you tried to keep them from having a choice of candidates for whom to vote. Get out of North Carolina and go home and play with Ayers.

April 17, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  10. SMART1

Lopez ; If you want 4 more years of what we're experiencing now then don't vote for him but speak for yourself because I was a Clinton supporter but she has since changed my views of her. Though if I have to I will vote for her and try not to toss my cookies. Let me remind you why I will do that and you need to do the same:

1. Gas is 4.00 per gallon and rising

2. The surge in Iraq has worsened over the last few days more troops are dying than ever.

3. People are loosing their homes and their Jobs

4. The Economy is causing us to pay 6.10 for 2 dozen of eggs. Food prices are out of this world.

5. Mc Cain is really Mc Same as Bush

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

6. If Hillary wins NAFTA will not be abolished jos will still be leaving the country because that would mean that Hillary and her husband can't continue to make 20 million dollars per year

Those are only a few reasons but if you would stop being selfish for a moment I am sure you will be able to push that button or pull that lever for a DEMOCRATE not just for yourself but for others that have been affected by these administrations.
    GET OVER YOURSELF!!!

April 17, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  11. Right

He says this after he said that Indiana was the tie breaker. He has been winning in NC for a long time. No wonder he said this

April 17, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  12. Farrell, Houston, Tx

DEMOCRATS UNITE WHETHER OBAMA OR HILLARY WINS. IT'S ABOUT VOTING AGAINST REPUBLICAN POLICIES WHICH ARE PROVEN NOT TO BE IN THE INTEREST OF ALL THE PEOPLE. DON'T BE LIKE REPUBLICANS WHO VOTED FOR GWB A 2ND TERM AND ARE SORRY NOW, THAT'S WHY THEY ARE CROSSING OVER IN SUPPORT OF A DEMOCRAT NOMINEE AND WON'T GO BACK TO VOTE REPUBLICAN THIS ELECTION. THINK ABOUT IT.

April 17, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  13. PJ, New York Independent

Obama will NOT win. It's amazing... all of you Obama supporters are morons. You just don't get what the Republican's are doing. Regardless of what you all think, Obama is the easier one for the Republican's to beat. They will wipe the floor up with Obama. It's just too funny.... Democrats shooting themselves in the foot again. Trying to get THE MOST LIBERAL person ever to run for president elected, it's just not happening. I mean, the fact that he's a black man will surely be harmful enough for him in certain parts of the country. But that is only a small percentage of his problem. You've got all of this 'baggage' he's bringing to the general election with him, all of the 'un American issues, like his not acknowledging the American flag, his wife never being proud of the US before, Jeremiah Wright, the 'bitter' comments. Let's also not forget he has NO WHERE near the 'experience' McCain has. Yes, the Republican's are salivating right now, ready to eat him alive. For years they thought Hillary would be the one easiest to beat but now they found their weakling. He proved last night that he CANNOT win the general election. Hillary Clinton (as usual) owned the stage. Obama looked like a scared little lamb. Wait for the Republican's to get a hold of him. I can't wait for John McCain to win by the biggest landslide in US history so that I can tell everyone I know who has been supporting Obama, see, I told you so.

Oh and to all the Obama supporters who are STILL raking Hillary Clinton over the coals, even though they know most likely Obama will be winning the DEM nomination. Keep up your attacks, you're only helping McCain you idiots. Don't forget, Obama needs Hillary's supporters to cross over and support him in the general election. Good luck with that though, polls are still showing a big percentage of Hillary Clinton's supporters will vote for McCain.

April 17, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  14. akaDoug

Lots of whining Clinton supporters out today…not a surprise since their candidate is a whiner too! Must be sad to see a decent candidate have her campaign go completely to pieces. Well maybe in 8 years, we can have the woman of 50 different emotions as our leader...certainly not this campaign!

April 17, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. For Hillary All the way

This guy, MR. Obama is crazy now.

He does not even know what he is talking about in the debate and he does not have logic, period!

Go Hillary 2008!

April 17, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. Terri

I don't know how anyone that would support Hillary or Obama would ever consider voting Republican. McCain is scarier then Bush. He has a bad temper, and wants to continue all of Bush's policies. Are you better off than you were 8 years ago? I support Obama, but will gladly vote for Hillary if she is the candidate... Why... because they want what I want. They want better schools, they want to give relief to middle and lower income people. They want everyone to be able to receive healthcare. All this other dribble is garbage... it dosen't matter. What is wrong with you people??? Grow up... our future depends on it.

Here's to a Democratic President in 2008

April 17, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  17. SF

Come on everyone...

It was a bad debate – I think the country pretty much agrees on that issue. I was disappointed in ABC and the commentators last night, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am getting tired of the way politics as usual are run. I work from home and generally try to listen to CNN or MSNBC during the day.
    Not today! I don't know who I am more disgusted with – politicians or the media – and I think we are really getting mean to each other here on the blogs. Is that a sign of how far apart our party is becoming?

If so, we have lost to McCain and it will be our own fault.

It is time for the media and the DNC to stop this and work toward getting us united for what we need to get done by November.

April 17, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  18. Ian

Obviously he's an elitist if he uses the word "crown".

April 17, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  19. To be honest

I wouldn't be voting for McCain if Obama gets the nomination to stick it to him – I would be voting for McCain so Obama does not get the chance to stick it to the American people.

I also think Hillary owes no loyalty to the party – she can do just as Richardson did – turn his back on people who helped him get where he is today. Everyone thinks the treatment and name calling of Hillary is fair game, but guess what – your 5 minutes are up.

April 17, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  20. merle 7

Yea ! come on NC vote for a winner lets get the big MO back . all eyes on NC to help end this,its time to get ready for the general election mode. John McSame,McWar,McBush, McCain here we come!

Dems for the white house!
    Yes We Can!

April 17, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  21. Ron R

You are correct Barack.

April 17, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  22. James

I still believe that the most qualified candidate will win.

I still believe that Obama will lose the general election, if not by Clinton, definitely by McCain.

McCain's Charisma v. Obama's Charisma.

I am a Hillary Supporter. But, like many of her supporters, I do not want a leader who believes on a campaign that runs on hope and not experience.

It would be nice if I got my next job on hope and not experience....
    Hmmm. I'll try that one next time I'm looking for another position.

April 17, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. Patrick

What everyone isn't realizing too is that once the democratic nominee is decided you will see a 10% or so shift in the poll #'s in favor of the dems. It's bad out there people. The media is making this McCain 50/50 story to keep things interesting. My prediciton, it will be a Bob Dole style blowout. In the 80's, Mondale was ahead of Regan by 10% or more this time of year and lost every single state but MN. Wake up people. Americans, most anyways, don't pay attention to primaries. The DEM strength will show. Mark my words.

April 17, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  24. Tara

This man does not have a clue. I have been a life long dem and would rather vote for McCain than have this person in office.

April 17, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  25. Ian

Can Obama run this country into the ground?

YES HE CAN!!!!