April 17th, 2008

Obama says NC could crown him the nominee

RALEIGH, North Carolina (CNN) -– Barack Obama said Thursday that the North Carolina primary could be decisive.

"If we can win in North Carolina, I think we can wrap up this nomination," Obama told an overflow crowd of supporters outside his event in Raleigh. "And if we can win this nomination I think we can beat John McCain."

"I think everybody understands how important this election is," he continued. "North Carolina is going to be critically important."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. curveball

C'mon now, he didn't say "crown." Maybe he's a little presumptuous here, but your loaded title is over the top.

April 17, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  2. Stephen, Dallas, TX

I thinks it's interesting how the individuals identified as "Ken", "l3sli3 from michigan", "Andrew NO", "dAnnE", "brody Lowe", and "tell the truth" have chosen... from among the large number of people who have said that they'll vote for McCain if Senator Obama... to go after the one person who's name would appear to indicate they are of an Hispanic heritage.

They appear to me to be as racist as the Rev. Wright.

April 17, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  3. Scott SD, CA

OBAMA is the ONLY Democrat that can beat teh "centrist-acting" MCCain. Hillary has drug her party through the mud long enough. PLEASE PLEASE let's get on with supporting this historic change in government.

April 17, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  4. Precious

If Senator Barack Obama was a true American Patriot, a Uniter, a person who can cross all boundaries, he would have stand tall, and told the American people that he will stand beside a woman and help her make history, and she Hillary will in-turn stand beside Obama in return. That is true America. So instead of having 16 years of two great American Presidents, we have become so blinded and divided, both in race and gender, that we can't even see a future. But, I guess we will have "hope". I hope "hope" will bring back some of the good times we had in the past, and not hope that "arrogance" and/or "I want to be first" will lead us down a path of "should have been", "could have been". But who knows, maybe there will be a lesson to learn here. But "time" will tell.

April 17, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  5. John

Hope for America,yes! In contrast to MLK I have a dream! Obama is in a wright prayer for the hope to divide America into a quadrant! MLK,in actual sense united America before and after his demise!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  6. Robert

I was an Obama supporter and volunteer in SC. Over the months, I have changed my mind. It started when I was urged to go and blog negative statements about Clinton, but warned not to say I was a vol with the campaign. So I can say that Mr.Obama's team is acting hypocritical now. I may not even vote in the general election because I have seen the dirty politics close up. I want to vote democrat, but I no longer trust the Obama campaign( I do not know if Obama knew this or not).

April 17, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  7. Chill Out

All you "angry" McCain voters were never going to vote for Obama anyway so whats the lose? Why do you insist on pretending otherwise?

Your willingness to throw the election for a third Bush term is evidence you have some deep seated issues. I'm betting there's a racial component involved, but none of you are honest enough to admit it.

April 17, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  8. Scott SD, CA

OBAMA is the ONLY Democrat that can beat the "centrist-acting" McBush. Hillary has drug her party through the mud long enough. PLEASE PLEASE let's get on with supporting this historic change in government.

April 17, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  9. Venus

Norh Carolina – do what you gota do! Go Obama!

April 17, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  10. Kevin The K in SEA

To Strega, who wrote "I will cross party lines and vote for McCain if Obama steals this nomination."
    How in the world do you believe Obama "stole" this nomination?!? Because he fought for every vote in every state that held a nominating process that played by the rules? Did he steal it by not taking money from lobbyists? Did he steal it by getting over a million *individual* contributors to his campaign? Did he steal it by not acting like he deserved a coronation, or that he was entitled to be president because of his last name? All Democrats (and Indys and Repubs) deserve a real choice in this election that doesn't guarantee 4 more years of the same tired Bush policies. I hope you and others who are so upset that your nominee won't be atop the D ticket in Nov. make the right choice.

April 17, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  11. JAZZ

What arrogance! He doesn't need Hillary supporters to win the presidency. His team of "I never voted before because I wasn't inspired" and "I haven't voted in years " voters will carry him and the congressional candidates through in November. And will take the 2010 midterm elections also.... Reality First.
    This guy wilted under very low heat and is today whining to the choir. We have been there and done that with Kerry in 2004. At least Kerry didn't whine. We don't want to go there again.

Superdelegates had better get real. It's the party faithful that you can count on. You have been dismissive of Hillary and her supporters throughout this campaign. You are dismissive of the FDR coalition. There are more Americans in the middle than on the edges. We shall
    remember in November.

April 17, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Tanya K

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO DEMOCRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO McBUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  13. Brian

If he wins big in NC and does not lose Penn big HRC should pack up. But she won't....... She and Lieberman have a lot of campaigning to do for McSame

April 17, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  14. John

John NC :: Thanks,you hit the nail Wright on the head!! Keep it up.

April 17, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  15. clara

were does this man think he is in italy or some place were kings are crowned sorry wrong nation

April 17, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  16. Venus

Hillary supporters – Obama's supporters will also switch to Mc Cain – so either way – she won't win! Get your laugh on today – you will be crying next week!

April 17, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  17. laf

It is becoming more and more apparent that the Hillary and McCain supporters are becoming more and more negative and delusional. You people must be desperate. Have any of you the ability of rational or individual thought? Your statements are so biased and idiotic, kind of like the debate last night. Seriously, you should go back to school because you have issues with reading comprehension! I question if you can even locate the United States on a map. My educated guess that you can not. Seriously, there is no reason to even think that Hillary Clinton or John McCain will do anything to improve this situation in this country. First of all, they are both borrowing the concept of CHANGE from Obama in the first place. Second of all, Clinton's campaign is in debt and McCain almost drove his campaign into bankruptcy. Those are just many of the issues you should be looking at. Before ANY of you make another statement , perhaps you should educate yourself.

April 17, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  18. JAZZ

Of course NC can crown him. He doesn't need the remaining states the same way he doesn't need FL, MI and PA.
    Psssssst. Will somebody tell him America has a president and not a King? America inaugurates and does not crown its president. Silly season indeed.

April 17, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  19. ILoveAmerica

Hillary hopes the superdelegate elite will overturn the majority preference of millions of voters.

If that were to happen, it would destroy the Democratic Party. We would just have to form a new party with a new name and start over.

The idea of giving votes to superdelegates was one of the most foolish mistakes in the history of the party. The only way for the party to survive the mistake is to make certain that superdelegates do not overturn the majority preference of the voters.

April 17, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  20. clfelton

rather vote Mccain then wake up in hell.. with Obama holding the fork.

Hillary 08

April 17, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  21. Antoinette

Well, of course he is going to WIN in NC

Now by an even more margin more than likely

I hope Penn is the deciding factor. I think he can win there also

April 17, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  22. Sue

I hope so. By the way CNN the title on this one is a little out of line with what he said. go Obama, Go N.C.!!!

April 17, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  23. Phil G., New York

You lead and I'll Follow Sen. Obama. I'm ready and willing whether its you or Sen. Clinton , although i Hope its you. I'm ready to stop George Bush and his failed policies. I vote for AMERICA in '08 and not McBUSH!! Whether its Hillary or Barack we need to come together so again i ask ALL OBAMA and CLINTON supporter to stop creaming each other and focus on McCain. Hillar and Barack's plans are 95% similar , you would be really out of touch if anyone was to vote republican simply because your candidate did not win. Please let us stop the fighting. Whoever wins the other will be aiding them in winning the nomination so let us stop this nonsense of fighting within out party PLEASE

AMERICA '08

April 17, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  24. Illinois

Drean on, dude!! NC won't be crowning you with anything....except losing.

April 17, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  25. Carol O'Connor

An NC win will not give Obama the nomination. Not even close. also it is very likely that he will be indicted by November for taking illegal campaign contributions when running for IL Senate. You Obama devotees are actually scary the way you pick and choose what to see and hear of your candidate.

April 17, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |