April 17th, 2008

Romney: I could have won, with a few more Osmonds

CNN

Watch Mitt Romney tell the top ten reason’s he dropped out of the race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - At Wednesday night’s Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner in Washington, D.C., former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney gave his “Top 10 Reasons for Dropping Out of the Race":

10. There weren't as many Osmonds as I thought.
9. I got tired of corkscrew landings under sniper fire.
8. As a lifelong hunter, I didn't want to miss the start of the varmint season.
7. There wasn’t room for two Christian leaders.
6. I was upset that no one had bothered to search my passport files.
5. I needed an excuse to get fat, grow a beard and win the Nobel prize.
4. I took a bad fall at a campaign rally and broke my hair.
3. I wanted to finally take off that dark suit and tie, and kick back in a light-colored suit and tie.
2. Once my wife Ann realized I couldn't win, my fundraising dried up.
1. There was a miscalculation in our theory: "As Utah goes, so goes the nation.”

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Bubba

If he hadn't been an addled loon, he might have stood a better chance.

April 17, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. kmiller

cutecute cute....... good to have some laughs.....
    the really funny thing is He hit the nail on the head in the process !

April 17, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. Auntie Coosa, Blairsville, Georgia, USofA

Funny . . . I love Republicans, they have such a great sense of humor and don't mind laughing at themselves. Unlike that "other" party . . . The Democrat Party.

You who say and write "Democratic" in place of Democrat please take note. The PARTY is called DEMOCRAT Party.

That's it
    From where I sit.

April 17, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. richard

When Clinton made the Bosnia gaffe, she apologized for it.

When Obama made the bitter gaffe, he blamed us for misinterpreting his remarks. When he performed badly in the PA debate, his supporters blame ABC and the moderators. When the Wright videos came out, he wasn't in the church pew during those sermons. When asked about the Gun Regulation survey, he didn't fill the paper out and sign it. When asked about Ayers, he said he didn't know the man 40 years when he performed his crimes.

April 17, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. Bob, Florida-RFO

I am a supporter of Barack Obama but I also like Mitt, this was very funny stuff!

Go Barack '08 [Mitt for Sec of Treasurey]

P.S. Vote wisely OR get ready for War with Iran!

April 17, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. Gord

Okay that is pretty funny. I am not a Mitt supporter, but anyone with a sense of humour can see that the list is pretty funny.

April 17, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  7. kelly WI

Whats the matter with you tight a.....mean dems. No sense of humor at all.
    I saw the show last night. Certainly had a better reception and more laughs than the so called comedian.
    If you don't like Mormons don't go to Vegas. Mormans settled it in 1844 and have built it and run it ever since. They know how to make money. Fremont street is named for the founder.
    Harry Reid your Senate leader from Nev. is a Mormon.
    Happy old white lady republican. Try it, you might like it. tee hee.
    McCain 08
    p.s. Also saw the 2 mean old liars on the debate. Give it up.

April 17, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  8. Carol Heinick

#1 reason – I really wanted to get back to ALL of my wives at the compound.

April 17, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. Daniel

THAT WAS HYSTERICAL! Good job Mitt!

April 17, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. billka

Item 7, too many Christian leaders...mormon's aren't Christians.

April 17, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  11. MJE WPG

When I see the 3 stooges that are left that america has to choose from Mitt seems like he would have been the most logical choice.

April 17, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  12. Anne E.

You know you're a loser when you have to invoke a bunch of
    has-beens to gain laughs and some sort of recognition.
    Mitt, you're about as funny as the Osmonds try to be.
    Time for you all to just go away.

April 17, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  13. HP Boston

You coulda won with a few more OBAMAS!
    They have a Gestapo crowd that will slam your mother and your grandmother under the bus.

April 17, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  14. The other Val

Very funny stuff! Great sense of humor – way to go, Mitt!

There are some posts on this thread that are just plain disgusting, and most of them are from the Obama supporters, the great uniter. Get the picture?

Romney for VP!

April 17, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  15. 301

I have to believe that people who bash mormons have never realized that they know any mormons. Here's a hint...most of the really super nice people you meet who are so nice that you're surprised that that much kindness is left in the world...those are the Mormons. I think the South Park episode about Mormonism put it best: Who cares if other people find their religion odd or faulty, any religion where people end up respecting and loving their family and being genuinely nice to everyone is a good one.

April 17, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  16. Tn

Romney is the best man , his style healtcare already success in taiwan and japan , not other hillcare just scam

April 17, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. wonder bug

so he has a sarcastic sense of humor – making fun of people like al gore, etc... that's a truly humble religious person for you - making fun of other people. mitt shows his true colors - thus go forward and wear your light colored suit my friend - you didn't have the charisma to win the nomination.

April 17, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  18. Patrick Blackmon

Where was this witty sense of humor during his campaign? Maybe instead of his "Speech on Religion" he should have shown this lighter side. Much more human than I ever thought.

April 17, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  19. Arlene from Orange County, CA

Mitt Romney has more integrity than the rest of the candidates combined. What a shame the media hated him!

April 17, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  20. Ryan

Wow, I am and always have been an Obama supporter, but that list was surprisingly funny! I had to read it twice to make sure that Romney actually was being that witty. Anyway, its really sad that so many people feel the need to rip on Romney's religion whenever there's any post about him at all. This is America folks. The Mormons aren't breaking any laws and they seem to be reasonable people to me. Whatever they believe about the details of God and heaven is between them and God.

April 17, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  21. Monroe

Reason 0: I'm a slimy weasel snake oil peddling panderer who relied mostly on my own personal wealth.

April 17, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  22. kp

Romney didn't win because he is a jerk!!!

April 17, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  23. Paul

Lame. But what do you expect from a stiff, middle-aged technocrat? Seems like Mitt just doesn't know when to quit hanging around. Get lost all ready!

April 17, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  24. a voice in the wilderness

Mitt, as McCain's VP choice, has the successful business sense and acumen to complement McCain's shortfall to get the US ecomony back on track. Doesn't anyone else have the foesight to see this? I'm not a Mormon and I voted for him. Mitt's belief system doesn't detract from his economic expertise.

April 17, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  25. Nestor in Miami

people are so angry, self deprication is just fine by me. He left the race but that is still not good enough for some people who want to kill him because he ran. Most bashing him are democrats, I guess that party is not as all inclussive as they portray themselves to be. What a pitiful bunch those who use this as a means of attacking him based on his religion.

April 17, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |