April 17th, 2008

Romney: I could have won, with a few more Osmonds

CNN

Watch Mitt Romney tell the top ten reason’s he dropped out of the race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - At Wednesday night’s Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner in Washington, D.C., former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney gave his “Top 10 Reasons for Dropping Out of the Race":

10. There weren't as many Osmonds as I thought.
9. I got tired of corkscrew landings under sniper fire.
8. As a lifelong hunter, I didn't want to miss the start of the varmint season.
7. There wasn’t room for two Christian leaders.
6. I was upset that no one had bothered to search my passport files.
5. I needed an excuse to get fat, grow a beard and win the Nobel prize.
4. I took a bad fall at a campaign rally and broke my hair.
3. I wanted to finally take off that dark suit and tie, and kick back in a light-colored suit and tie.
2. Once my wife Ann realized I couldn't win, my fundraising dried up.
1. There was a miscalculation in our theory: "As Utah goes, so goes the nation.”

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

Mitt you are finally useful.

Go Hillary. I know we won't win. Leave me alone.

Hillary 08. (Imagine no caps)

April 17, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  2. Steve

That list was the ONLY thing he's said that has been worth listening to since he started his campaign.....(I'm sure he didn't write it himself either)

April 17, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  3. Paul

Where is the Dennis Kucinich top 10?

10. Tin foil hats waste natural resources...

April 17, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  4. Dubya

Sterling Brown, you should know that Mitt's Church has never been affiliated with Warren Jeff's and the FLDS Church. Mitt has a wonderful family and would never be involved in something like.

April 17, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. dani

dont regret it cos pope have endorse barack today with the message of hope, so wat is americans waiting for to crown b.obama the president.

April 17, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. Joseph

Actually pretty funny, lol. The Mormon attacks, are unwarranted though. There are some really ignorant people in this world, and unfortunately alot of them will be voting for Obama in the fall.

April 17, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  7. Utah Mormon

To Sharon Minnesota: What's happening in Texas right now has absolutely NOTHING to do with Romney poking fun at himself or with the Mormon Church. The FLDS is similar to the Mormon (or LDS) Church in name only. Comparing these people to the Mormon Church of the last 110+ years is tantamount to saying that white families from the South whose ancestors once owned slaves are still racist slave drivers.

The constant comparison between the FLDS and my church was only slightly annoying at first – but I'm really starting to get ticked off now. People with any knowledge about my religion know that the FLDS and those of us who are Mormon are more different from each other than we are the same. Especially when it comes to polygamy and child abuse that the FLDS group practices.

As for Romney – he's good guy, Im sure. But he never had my vote. Go Obama!

April 17, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  8. Paul

As Larry the Cable Guy says, "I don't care who you are. That's funny."

Mitt for VP runner-up in November!

April 17, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  9. Rosa

A plastic, bobble head to the end... the slam about Mr. Gore was not needed.

April 17, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  10. norb

Mitt, you'll never win a nobel prize. Maybe you McCain and Joe Lieberman can put yourselves to use and start changing the oil on those beer trucks.

April 17, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. gary

This is funny. I prefer "Mitt, the affable friendly fellow who doesn't take himself to seriously" to Mitt, the guy who has any job that my taxes pay for"

April 17, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  12. Alex H

funny, he hit the bullseye with number 4 :D
    Ian April 17th, 2008 11:12 am ET

Number 11 – Because I'm a crazy mormon
    --------------------

And people say there's no antipathy?

I rest my case.

April 17, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  13. carlo

Well, Julie, I'm an avid Obama supporter, and I think that his comments are pretty darn funny.

April 17, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  14. DJ

Very funny. I don't know what it is, though, that makes me uncomfortable about him and why I couldn't vote for him.

April 17, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  15. JJ

That was great! Gotta love a pol with guts. I don't care who wrote those jokes. That was the funniest thing I've ever heard at that dinner. And nothing could be truer than the Nobel Prize being for sale!

April 17, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  16. Michigan voter

Why do posts have to be so ugly! This is a lighthearted fun story and some of you gave gone way off the deep end! Laughing at yourself is a wonderful quality! Good job Mitt....

April 17, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  17. Brian in Austin

Amazing how many haters there are out there ... I especially like "honkey white guy from cali" with this comment:

"And this is news how come one tell me how is this CNN or the Weekly world news I mean come one now this is just nuts!!!"

Get a life, honkey!

Well done, Mr. Romney!

April 17, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  18. Nick

Good stuff.

McCain – Romney 2008

April 17, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  19. Soupy

First one was the only good one.

April 17, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  20. HillarySkank on myspace

Mitt, this is some funny stuff. I think you would have done better if you were able to convey this when you were running.
    Anyway, good luck on that Nobel Prize thing. May I recommend a couple Ben and Jerry pints each night with your dinner, it helped me out with the getting fat part :)

April 17, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. Alonzo Demetrius

If the republicans used the same vote spread in the primaries that the democrats do, Romney would still be in the race and the republicans would be fighting nasty like the dems are. See, the republicans are smarter...

April 17, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  22. Brian

I will just add a comment here because CNN won't post mine anywhere else.. CNN I hope you enjoyed the debate last night, I know you are all rooting for Obama and I know you know he got his butt kicked last night. Let's not forget, most of Obama's supporters had NEVER EVEN HEARD HIS NAME before last fall. Wait til we learn more–and expose it–about this shady character :)

April 17, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  23. Raulus Chinler

Mormon trash? As a trashy Mormon, I know Mormon trash. Romney may be Mormon, but he's not trash.

April 17, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  24. Patriot

You must be on drugs if you believe the Pope has endorsed Barak because he mentioned hope. "Hope" is a Christian synonym for Faith. It is the Hope of the Promise to come in the afterlife.

So cut it with your garbage. It is not appropriate.

I am sure that the Pope has his opinions but he is smart enough to stay out of our politics. Same goes for "Peace" All popes pray for peace and so do Christians all over the world.

But as I told my children many times. There will be no peace until you die. The earth is filled with hate and anger, not peace.

April 17, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  25. ladymary

crazy Mormon????? Be careful your prejudice is showing. I guess you didn't like Donnie or Marie either.

April 17, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |