April 17th, 2008

Romney: I could have won, with a few more Osmonds

CNN

Watch Mitt Romney tell the top ten reason’s he dropped out of the race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - At Wednesday night’s Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner in Washington, D.C., former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney gave his “Top 10 Reasons for Dropping Out of the Race":

10. There weren't as many Osmonds as I thought.
9. I got tired of corkscrew landings under sniper fire.
8. As a lifelong hunter, I didn't want to miss the start of the varmint season.
7. There wasn’t room for two Christian leaders.
6. I was upset that no one had bothered to search my passport files.
5. I needed an excuse to get fat, grow a beard and win the Nobel prize.
4. I took a bad fall at a campaign rally and broke my hair.
3. I wanted to finally take off that dark suit and tie, and kick back in a light-colored suit and tie.
2. Once my wife Ann realized I couldn't win, my fundraising dried up.
1. There was a miscalculation in our theory: "As Utah goes, so goes the nation.”

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. No Mitt Romney

Hey Mitt, you missed the actual truthful reason why you dropped:

1) You were DEFEATED by McCain and there was no hope you could win...you did your Math
    2) You were too ugly to be a president

April 17, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. relevance

Why is the dinner news worthy? It doesn't belong on the political news ticker.

April 17, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  3. Apostate (Gasp!)

Not enough room for two Christians in the White House??? When will the LDS church realize that they're not real Christians?

(Knee-jerk "yes we are, you silly apostate!" reaction in 3...2...1...)

April 17, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  4. Dave C - NJ

Get a life you bitter old hens.
    I'm a Dem but think this was a great light-hearted ticker piece.
    The nay sayers on here need to take a xanex.

April 17, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  5. Mitt fan

I miss Mitt.

April 17, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  6. ShirleyAnne, Vancouver, B.C.

I believe if and only if Mitt Romney is the candidate for Vice President the Republicans may have a chance. This guy is gold and is being overlooked.

April 17, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. Chris, Middletown, CT

actually....thats funny

April 17, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  8. Paul, in Iowa

Mitt & Hillary get the "GO NEGATIVE" campaign awards of the year. 2nd best is not good enough. But at least Mitt got it and got out before he brought down the GOP. Get it Hillary?

Obama 08'

April 17, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  9. Cox Lomanare

The Pope came to America for a real Italian Pizza.

April 17, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  10. lola Planner, Houston, Texas

That comment against Al Gore is pretty low and not that funny, just mean. How is Romney going o save the world–cut down on hair products?

April 17, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  11. Dexter

Mitt, I really wanted to like you man, but you look like my boss...I hate my boss, but not as much as those jokes...yikes!

April 17, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  12. Penn State

There must be a bunch of Obama supporters in here. I can tell by all of the "BITTER" comment.

I know that this will not be posted because CNN is Obama's mother.

April 17, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  13. REM

Can only the politician you support can poke fun (at themselves no less) and have it be humorous? Please, people...get the sour pickle out of your mouth and lighten up! I thought it was all in good fun and pretty funny too.

April 17, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. Chinyere

I support Obama. I always liked Mitt Romney. He came across as a decent and nice human being. I wish he had the GOP nomination.

April 17, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  15. JA

Actually, this is pretty hilarious.

April 17, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  16. Ryan from Canada

Many of these comments are dissapointing, a guy makes some funny jokes and you rip on him due to his religion. Its sad to see that predudice. Its no wonder, the reputation of americans has gone in the toilet. shame on you.

Go Obama, the only one that can fix that problem!

April 17, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  17. Mike

Smith,

Let's see you taken on a multi-billion dollar drug and insurance industry with the limited abilities of a first lady and try to break the stranglehold they have on our society. They spent multi-millions spinning against Hillary's healthcare program. They hypnotized everyone into believing that it is ok to have universal police and fire protection but not medical.

Dont be dumb, vote for Hillary. As president she will have the tools needed to do it right that she did not have before.

April 17, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  18. Eric

Great humor and must be a great guy to give such candor about some of the ways he might be viewed!

April 17, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  19. jp

How about a little punctuation or syntax in the comments, folks? It's a sad superpower whose news-reading citizens can't put together coherent sentences.

April 17, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  20. Julie Thomas

Only need one reason to not pick him as a VP:
    1. He is a jerk.

April 17, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  21. R P Revolution

There is only one legitimate reason that Romney had to suspend his campaign and it's name is RON PAUL .
    ronpaul2008.com

April 17, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  22. Rancid Smelling Phart

His top 10 is almost as hilarious and silly as the notion that Obama or Hillary would be a good president. Now that is both laughable and terrifying at the same time. It's funny, because they are both idiots and terrifying because there are a lot of idiots in the country who actually believe it.

April 17, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Kevin

For a lot of folks that don't care about Romney, they sure waded in with their opinions.

April 17, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  24. Ron, St. Johns, AZ

For those of you who didn't think this was funny, you obviously did not follow Romney's campaign, nor the various pot shots taken at him. It is the mark of an exceptional human being who can turn and laugh at himself–despite the pot shots.

But despite the good humor, this is an unfortunately sad reminder that America has missed, for now, its oppourtunity to be led by a man who is perhaps the most capable leader to offer himself up for public service in a generation. Romney was and is what the country needs.

So, for now let's hope we get...
    McCain/Romney 2008

and then...
    Romney 2012

and/or
    Romney 2016.

April 17, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. Reagan Democrat

Bhwahaha.

Very funny Gov. Romney.

I will be voting for you and McCain.

NObama!!! No on cult of personality and no actual substance.

Go McCain/Romney 2008