April 17th, 2008

Romney: I could have won, with a few more Osmonds

CNN

Watch Mitt Romney tell the top ten reason’s he dropped out of the race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - At Wednesday night’s Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner in Washington, D.C., former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney gave his “Top 10 Reasons for Dropping Out of the Race":

10. There weren't as many Osmonds as I thought.
9. I got tired of corkscrew landings under sniper fire.
8. As a lifelong hunter, I didn't want to miss the start of the varmint season.
7. There wasn’t room for two Christian leaders.
6. I was upset that no one had bothered to search my passport files.
5. I needed an excuse to get fat, grow a beard and win the Nobel prize.
4. I took a bad fall at a campaign rally and broke my hair.
3. I wanted to finally take off that dark suit and tie, and kick back in a light-colored suit and tie.
2. Once my wife Ann realized I couldn't win, my fundraising dried up.
1. There was a miscalculation in our theory: "As Utah goes, so goes the nation.”

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. seymore, pa

It's nice to see him have a sense of humor.

April 17, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

HILLARY WON THE DEBATE LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!

IT IS ABOUT TIME THAT OBAMA WAS MADE TO ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS ABOUT HIS SHADY PAST!!!!!!!!

NOW WE HAVE THE INFO!!!!!!

WHO IS THE BETTER CANDIDATE? EASY................................

HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  3. Tanya

It is really funny! Mitt finally got himself a good speech writer... a bit late though.

April 17, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  4. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

HILLARY LEADS IN THE POLLS!!!!!!!

YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO ALL OF US HILLARY!!!!!!!

WHEN YOU WIN PENNSYLVANIA IT WILL BE THE BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT I HAVE EVER GOTTEN!!!!!!!

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

Or a few more of his wives!!!

April 17, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. seah

Eweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee who mentioned Obama in this

He is such a bitter pathetic person!

April 17, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. David E7

Those are the most endearing comments I have ever heard Mitt Romney make, even if the words were once again put into his mouth by someone more clever.

April 17, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  8. Glen,

The only ones on this blog who don't seem to have a sense of humor are BO supporters (with exceptions), they seem to have taken BO's word gaffe on bitterness to heart. For people who are supposed to be for change you certainly represent the worst of politics. Dirty tactics, snide comments, name calling. Come on BO supporters try and change.

April 17, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  9. New Mexico

History may repeat itself for the Democratic Party like 1984 when mendale ran for office if superdelagate vote contrary to the popular vote. It will be a nice gift to John McCain.

April 17, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. JAC

Nice to see he has a sense of humor.

April 17, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  11. Nathan

Everyone–who thinks that Mitt *actually believes* those are the reasons he lost–needs to take a step back and look at their lives. To those of you who used this as another opportunity to rant: Congratulations, your venom holds no bounds and its poison will be the death of you.

Yep that was a pock shot at Al Gore, but let's be honest, he's the best fodder comedians have had since Dan Quayle. Okay maybe Dick Cheney, but former VPs never get respect...

I smirked a couple of times while reading it, but I didn't laugh aloud. I'm just glad that someone is trying to take a step back from the partisan charged election to relax.

April 17, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  12. Jody

Okay people, this is the age of the Internet. There is not more "news space." The "news space" is virtually infinite. This is news because CNN says it's news and they can sell ad space on this page. AND YOU READ IT, so you must have been a little interested. YOU COMMENTED ON IT, so you must be more than just a little interested. STOP WHINING ABOUT WHAT IS NEWS.

I am offended at those who compare Mitt Romney to the FLDS polygamists in Texas. There is nothing in his personal history to even insinuate such a thing. It is always the so-called open-minded ones that are first to bring such heinous allegations.

April 17, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. Joshua College Station Texas

Ha ha ha–actually pretty funny. Well, it's good he can laugh at himself. It's nice. As a candidate, he scared the h**l out of me. I never had a problem with his religion, but his platform was fascist.

April 17, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  14. Jeanne

Not to mention that he never was a viable candidate to begin with.

April 17, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  15. delbranson

Democratic Obama supporter here, and nah, I don't imagine I'd have ever voted for Romney. Probably some of funniest comments to come from a politician this primary season though. Laughed out loud, myself. If he'd been this freewheeling on the trail he might have done better. Good on Mitt though, had me rolling. Cheers!

April 17, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  16. Dannyboy

CNN, you are a joke. You won't post my comment about how Democrats need to lighten up and stop taking things so seriously, yet you post Penn State's comment about how Penn State's comment won't get posted because "CNN is Obama's mother."

Go FOX News. CNN couldn't find "balance" in a sentence if I spotted it the b-a-l-a-n-c and e.

Uggggh.

April 17, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  17. rbn alexandria, mn

CNN only posts the comments from people they understand or less intellegent then themselves. Not to many bright ideas ever seem shared or are think tank worthy. A few dollars & a good news anchor could blow them out in no time. Its like "the crops that do not reproduce because of to much cloning." Come on CNN, get it on.

April 17, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  18. Frank, Missouri

I support Obama, but I have to give it to Romney that although I don't agree with him on the issues – he is a nice person.

In contrast with Clinton – I agree with her on most of the issues but I can't stand that person at all. I would not vote for her because I don't trust a word she says and I would not reward her campaign style with my vote.

April 17, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  19. David

That's actually pretty funny stuff. The gab at Al Gore made me laugh out loud.

I liked Romney.

April 17, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  20. Stouble Dandard

Where are the moderators in this room? Why is there uncensored and derogatory comments against Mormons? If there were the usual ignorant hate words used regarding the remaining three candidates, would CNN even blink an eye? Heaven forbid we ever say the word 'black' these days without repurcussions.

April 17, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  21. JT

Ten more reasons why Romney should not hold high public office–like we needed more...

April 17, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  22. Marilyn

Pretty funny even though I didn't like the guy. It's good to know some people can still laugh at themselves.

April 17, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  23. Amazed at Work

That's pretty funny...he should have been that funny during the actional campaigning.

April 17, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  24. james, newport, KY

funny stuff, mitt. had you done this 6 months ago, you might be the nominee. (see: bob dole on letterman after election 96)

the dig on al gore was a good one. sadly, many americans believe every word that loon says.

April 17, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  25. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

I can't stand Mitt Romney or Cheney, or McCain
    True and real "elitists." The list in Washington
    is long, which would include, of course, Hillbat.
    I am sick of people that live off our taxmoney and
    think there are better.