April 17th, 2008

Romney: I could have won, with a few more Osmonds

CNN

Watch Mitt Romney tell the top ten reason’s he dropped out of the race.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - At Wednesday night’s Radio and Television Correspondents Dinner in Washington, D.C., former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney gave his “Top 10 Reasons for Dropping Out of the Race":

10. There weren't as many Osmonds as I thought.
9. I got tired of corkscrew landings under sniper fire.
8. As a lifelong hunter, I didn't want to miss the start of the varmint season.
7. There wasn’t room for two Christian leaders.
6. I was upset that no one had bothered to search my passport files.
5. I needed an excuse to get fat, grow a beard and win the Nobel prize.
4. I took a bad fall at a campaign rally and broke my hair.
3. I wanted to finally take off that dark suit and tie, and kick back in a light-colored suit and tie.
2. Once my wife Ann realized I couldn't win, my fundraising dried up.
1. There was a miscalculation in our theory: "As Utah goes, so goes the nation.”

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Tyrone Brown, Seattle, WA

My “Top 10 Reasons for Mitt Dropping Out of the Race":

1. Trying to sell himself as a social conservative
    2. Coming across as slick, prepackaged and re-packaged again
    3. Flip-flopping (willing to tell us whatever we wanted to hear)
    4. Losing in Iowa, New Hampshire, Michigan, Florida and the list goes on…
    5. Being awkward on the campaign trail
    6. YouTube
    7. Inability to make a genuine connection with the American people
    8. The evangelicals didn’t buy it (see #9 for the reason why)
    9. The “white elephant” in the room – the evangelical fear of Mormonism

...and the top reason for Mitt droppoing out of the race!!!

10. Mike Huckabee

Tyrone Brown
    37th Legislative District State Delegate / Obamacrat
    Seattle, WA

April 17, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  2. Derin Scottsdale, AZ

I have to admit that Mitt was pretty funny last night. You always knew that he was extremely smart and successful, but it was nice to see that he could be self-deprecating.

It's unfortunate that he is not the selected Republican nominee. We need someone that is extremely smart and has avoided so many of the scandals that have plagued the current candidates!!

April 17, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  3. mj

to lars:
    Regarding the rumors that the Clinton machine is being
    supported by the Church of Scientology –

It's not whether it's proven true, but that it so easy to believe.

Clinton is just so mechanical and deceptive, you can't rule it out

April 17, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  4. Carrie

had he used that sense of humor on the campaigne trail he would still be in the race today!

April 17, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. Nathan

Everyone–who thinks that Mitt *actually believes* those are the reasons he lost–needs to take a step back and look at their lives. To those of you who used this as another opportunity to rant: Congratulations, your venom holds no bounds and its poison will be the death of you.

Yep that was a pock shot at Al Gore, but let's be honest, he's the best fodder comedians have had since Dan Quayle. Okay maybe Dick Cheney, but former VPs never get respect…

I smirked a couple of times while reading it, but I didn't laugh aloud. I'm just glad that someone is trying to take a step back from the partisan charged election to relax.

April 17, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

Oh, Radio commentators, would that include Ann Coulter, Rush
    Limbaugh, Hannity, Corville? Let's have the list of names of who's
    who in Radio Commentators. American's made them millions and
    basically they are against us. Not all! Not all!
    I cannot wait until we get our graduates to take over your jobs.
    Then you can take your millions and go to Dubai.
    Do I sound bitter? Well, these hot shot liars make me bitter!

April 17, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  7. linda

Let's see : Hillary Clinton has showned she is a honest person, a person who likes to get things done for the good of the country, she works very hard to win votes, Unlike obama, who is a bad loser and does not seem to realize that all the mud slinging he is doing is very negative because it gives a terrible image of the men and thus is a major setback for the advancement of men in society. She clearly is another Jackie Robinson and is the right woman for the job

April 17, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  8. JO

I guess being honest, straightforward and with presidential qualities is not what the American public wants. Very sorry you didn't make it, Mitt!

April 17, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  9. Davester

Well, after reading some of these vile posts it is nice to see that religious bigitry is alive and well in America.

Get a grip people.

April 17, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  10. Max

A lot of people here keep saying who cares about Mitt and so on and they are reading his top 10 list and commenting about it.

Doesn't that mean you care about him and what he has to say? Why do you make yourself look fool?

April 17, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  11. Bob Jones

"Disgusted" "mormon trash?" - do I hear dueling banjos playing??? I bet you didn't du good in skool...

April 17, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  12. Al Gore

I thought the comment about me was funny. See I have a sense of humor too...

April 17, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  13. Paul Wolborsky

Uh oh. Mitt Romney has now turned his eyes to the campaign for the 1AM timeslot. I heard the Hooters are available to be a late-night show band.

April 17, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  14. VOTER FOR TRUTH AND DIGNITY IN AMERICA

Voters, I feel that every candidate that the Republicans picked was
    encouraged by Bush. Mitt Romney, Movie Star Thompson, McShame,
    I can't name them all but you can help.
    Ron Paul and Huckabee probably didn't get the attention of Pres. Bush
    but if you read that they are against the rights of "the people" like S.S.
    unemployment benefits. If they call themselves "republican" or "independent, WATCH OUT!
    I turn off the T.V.

April 17, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  15. Will from Gaithersburg, MD

I guess Romney should give Sen. Clinton some pointers about her "Top 10 Reasons for Dropping Out of the Race."

April 17, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  16. Johnny Boy

You know the sickest thing about this? It's the diatribes and polemic that are being spewed in response to something that MItt did and no law required CNN to publish this and no law required you to read it. Grow up folks, you're spending WAY too much time navel-gazing and whining. I hope most of these idiots are Dhimmicrats and that they lose their sense of direction on the way to the polls... Love, Johnny.

April 17, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  17. kathleen for Obama

Oh, Radio commentators, would that include Ann Coulter, Rush
    Limbaugh, Hannity, Corville? Let's have the list of names of who's
    who in Radio Commentators. American's made them millions and
    basically they are against us. Not all! Not all!I cannot wait until we get our graduates to take over your jobs.Then you can take your millions and go to Dubai.Do I sound bitter? Well, these hot shot liars make me bitter! Politicians, like Bush make me more bitter!

April 17, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  18. NEVER OBAMA!!

Shame!! Cuz that just meant you gave McCain the chance to be president FOR FREE!!
    Wish you would have fought harder, i was soo wanting you to win, and i'm a democrat!!

April 17, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  19. Jax

That was pretty funny! Actually and suprisingly Cheney's speech before that was pretty funny too

"Worst debate ever" ?
    Were we watching the same thing?
    Finally, finally some (other than FOX) called Obama out on his BS and asked the tough questions!!

ANYONE BUT OBAMA "08" !!!!!

April 17, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Ok Apostate, I guess you're right, the real crazy people are those who get irritated when someone insults what they believe in. Certainly not the people who go around doing the insulting and baiting. So glad you took the time to share your thoughts.

April 17, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  21. Judy

The joke is on America-we REALLY need someone who can save our economy just like Mitt Romney saved the mega in debt, scandel ridden Olympics, and made them the most successful Olympics ever. I wish Mitt had been given the chance to see what he could do with the nation. I think it is a great quality to be able to laugh at one's self. I bet Al Gore even thought it was funny. Lighten up, America.Quit hating good people because of their religion. We do have freedom of religion and that is why Obama can attend Rev. Wright's church and still run for President. And Mitt Romney is NOT a child abusing member of the FLDS. Let's be a little kinder and not be bitter, America.

April 17, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  22. Matt

As some you illustrate by your comments, ignorance breeds hatred. Why do you feel the need to attack Romney and his religion when he is no longer in the race? What have Mormons done to you lately (or ever) that warrants that kind of hatred and ignorance?

April 17, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  23. Greg from WI

Vile Mormons? What the heck? Why do the comments always go back to the guy's belief in Jesus Christ and modern-day prophets? And how do either make one vile? As a Christian myself, I think it's disgusting that many Americans cannot accept the Mormon Church as a fellow Christian Denomination. We don't revile the Baptists because they don't worship Jesus (Just John the Baptist, based on the name), or the Catholics because they're "universal" or based in Rome, so why do we revile the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I've known a lot of Mormons in my life, and most have been among the best people I've ever met.

April 17, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. Tom , Flagstaff, AZ

I have absolutely no interest in Romney as president. Nevertheless, his Top Ten is the funniest thing I've seen or heard in this entire campaign season.

April 17, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. Scott, Wichita

A sense of humor is the most important thing a presidential hopeful could have. If they don't have one, they will not be able to survive. Ever noticed how Bush is still enjoying himself despite the 80% of you that hate him?

April 17, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |