April 18th, 2008

Blitzer: 'On my best behavior' during papal meeting

CNN

Watch Wolf discuss meeting the pope.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - I promised you I would report on my wonderful opportunity actually to meet Pope Benedict XVI while he was on the campus of The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. It was a very special moment for me.

Accompanied by Father David O’Connell, the President of Catholic University, the pontiff walked into a small room where ten invited guests were anxiously awaiting his arrival. He could not have been nicer. He graciously shook hands with all of us, and gave us each a gold medal showcasing his visit to the United States. This is something I will always treasure.

Father O’Connell, in introducing me to the Pope, noted that I work for CNN. The Pope said something about that being “very important.” I told him that it was wonderful of him to honor the United States by paying this historic visit.

One footnote: My friend Tim Russert, the NBC News Washington Bureau Chief, was also among the special guests invited to meet with the Pope. The two of us are both originally from Buffalo, New York, and we couldn’t help but reflect on how extraordinary it was for two Buffalonians - one from the South Side and the other from the North Side - winding up in Washington and receiving this high honor. I think we both were pinching ourselves. Needless to say, we were both on our best behavior.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Ben

Wolf...Boring NEWS!

April 18, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  2. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Wolf, whether you're visiting with the Pope or whatever you may do, please don't leave CNN Situation Room. I look forward to you everyday because you bring the most important uptodate news.

April 18, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  3. AZM

Nice Wolf... good to read something other than Hillary throwing mud and Obama crying about it.

Once in a lifetime... Have a great weekend!

April 18, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  4. CHERYL FOR HILLARY

I AM FOR HILLARY BUT WHEN I TYPE OBAMA COMES OUT.

GO OBAMA GO ( I MEAN GO HILLARY GO HOME)

MY GODDESS HILLARY, I AM SORRY BUT IT'S OVER

OBAMA 08

April 18, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  5. R

sounds like a boring blog. i don't like this pope anyways. the previous one seemed more wiling to unite religious leaders

April 18, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  6. who

I would truly like to know if the delegates you announced today4-18-08
    crossing over to the devil's brother are being bought or paid?

April 18, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  7. Brad

For your pathetic coverage, Wolf, you are going to Hell.

April 18, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  8. Bernice

God bless him, but when is he going home? He's interrupting my shows!

Not all of us are Catholics! And find all of this boring music and this old man floating around in a gown to be nerve recking when our shows are cut into by these BREAKING NEWS (not) messages.

I'm sure he's a fine man I just don't have any connections with him. I just hope he won't be still here next week. We got more important things to deal with right now. Maybe if he comes during a non election year it would be better. Can somebody suggest that to him in the future?

April 18, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  9. Snoozefest

i mean really? Are we meant to care who wolf gets to meet? Exhibit #445 why CNN is getting thumped in ratings. No one cares about Wolfie's lunch dates.

April 18, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  10. Unshrub

Some of you people are just sick, sick, sick. This is a non political event but you still must bring up your candidate or criticizes the other candidate. Regardless of someone's religion, he is a man who influences millions of people. Grow up and get some manners.

April 18, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |