April 18th, 2008

Blitzer: 'On my best behavior' during papal meeting

CNN

Watch Wolf discuss meeting the pope.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - I promised you I would report on my wonderful opportunity actually to meet Pope Benedict XVI while he was on the campus of The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. It was a very special moment for me.

Accompanied by Father David O’Connell, the President of Catholic University, the pontiff walked into a small room where ten invited guests were anxiously awaiting his arrival. He could not have been nicer. He graciously shook hands with all of us, and gave us each a gold medal showcasing his visit to the United States. This is something I will always treasure.

Father O’Connell, in introducing me to the Pope, noted that I work for CNN. The Pope said something about that being “very important.” I told him that it was wonderful of him to honor the United States by paying this historic visit.

One footnote: My friend Tim Russert, the NBC News Washington Bureau Chief, was also among the special guests invited to meet with the Pope. The two of us are both originally from Buffalo, New York, and we couldn’t help but reflect on how extraordinary it was for two Buffalonians - one from the South Side and the other from the North Side - winding up in Washington and receiving this high honor. I think we both were pinching ourselves. Needless to say, we were both on our best behavior.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. Cardinal Richeliu

Wuffie, we just don't care....
    Get a spine.

April 18, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Chipster

cricketzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

April 18, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. Matthew, Philadelphia, PA

I'm impressed, Wolf. No pro-Obama spin!

April 18, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. Meg, IN

Hillary is going to go on Saturday Not Live this weekend to "pretend" she is the most adoring person on the planet. Not only is she not adoring, she's not even human.

I'm sure Snotty Not Live is salivating to get her back on their brain dead show.

Hey Hillary, Got Decency? I didn't think so.

Obama 08

April 18, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. Ron, TX

Is it really all that big a deal?

I mean, especially if you aren't Catholic... who cares? I'd rather meet Tom Cruise in all honesty.

April 18, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  6. DCBill

Wolf–Not even one question about the Vatican's hospitality and–in some cases–sympathy for Nazi Germany during the build up to and the start of WWII??

April 18, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Harvey in Va

I am so very happy for you Wolf. It was a great opportunity for you to meet the pope...so many people would have loved to be in your shoes. The gold medal would be a treasure to me also.

April 18, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. John

Why'd you expect pro-Obama spin from Wolf Blitzer?

April 18, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. raf

That's not really "reporting," it's more like a high-schooler's diary entry.

April 18, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

Wolf it is ok, we are not intrested in this keep it to yourself.

April 18, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. John, NV

Ask for the Pope to pray for your making it to the other side of this campaign with your integrity still intact, because you are losing it. If you want to support Hillary, go work on her dying campaign, and stop pretending to be “fair and balanced”, you’re not.

Obama 08

April 18, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. SayNoToHillaryBillaryCheslaryClintrous

Good for you wolf getting blessing from the Pop will hopefuly make you relize being hard to people who do not look like you is not the right thing to do. I am hoping from now on you will start reporting as it is and as you see it with out any bias. God bless you

Oh one more thing if you could advice your racist friend Lou Dobbs to behave the same way thanks.

April 18, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  13. Glen

From New Hampshire, we watched that Cardinal Law go reside in the Vatican. "Why not leave him home?", -we asked.

April 18, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  14. truth be told

congratulations, mr. blitzer! it's indeed a great honor to have met and shook the hands of Pope Benedict XVI. you are very lucky!

April 18, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Satan

Alright, Wolf, let's do some 3-on-3 on a half court.... You, Timmy Russert, and Benny XVI on Hannity, Coulter, and me... Who should ref? McCain or Obama?

Hillary sure looks ridiculous with this pom-poms...

April 18, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. Paul from Virginia

Wolf,

Having read Tim Russert's book on his father and his years in Buffalo, I know how important this invitation is to you Buffolonians. I understand that there is a large Catholic community made up of various ethnic groups who settled in the area some time ago.

I think the Pope's trip so far has been extremely positive. The fact that he met with victims of abuse by the Church was a major breakthrough and I thank him for acknowledging and apologizing for the Church's sins.

Best of luck Wolf! And remember – Totus Tuus!

April 18, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. Grif

Everyone to his/Her Own... I love the Sun.. myself.

April 18, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. Fred

Wolfe:

Wish you would ask the tough questions like, what good will a 20 cent tax cut be when gas is 4.00 per gallon? The other tough question, gas taxes pay for badly needed road repairs, how will we pay for road repairs? Scratch the last question, who can afford to drive anyway.

April 18, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Jonathon Stieft

the pope is just a regilious figure. being a past catholic, I'm not that thrilled that people call him Holy Father. There is only one Father in heaven. And this post will never make it because it is truth.

April 18, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. MaryC

I'm sure your mothers would have been proud.

April 18, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  21. Sean McM

SO????

April 18, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  22. scbrown

CNN WHERE IS YOUR HEADLINES:

OBAMA DROP 8 POINTS IN 3 DAYS!!!!!!!

OBAMA HAD A 11 POINT LEAD!!!!

April 18, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. fred

You look quilty Wolf!!

April 18, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  24. After further review,Texas

Did you go to confession Wolf?You could have told him how biased you have been.

April 18, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. boer

WOLF

You hopefully will acknowledge by these comments thay you are not
    much appreciated as the Political Ticker anchor nor by your role in TV.

Nothing personal against you, but it is a fact that between the visible
    members of the ridiculously called "BEST POLITICAL TEAM" you are
    one of the least qualified. more so to lead it.

I hope that after speaking with the pope (a really inspiring person), you will see the light and resign !

I HOPE VERY MUCH (AGAIN, UNTIL NOW I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST YOU PERSONALLY), THAT THIS POST WILL NOT BE DELETED,

Dominus Vobiscum