April 18th, 2008

Bloomberg: Next president will be 'adult'

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

NEW YORK (CNN) – New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Thursday that whoever wins the presidency in November, "at least we'll have an adult in office who can lead and accomplish something."

During a question-and-answer session, Bloomberg said he will not have to agree on all matters with whomever he ultimately endorses for president.

"I'm looking for a candidate that is willing to face reality and say, 'We can't have everything and there are costs and we've got to make choices.'"

Full story

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. Linda

check out the finger jester from Obama in the video "Obama brushes Clinton off his shoulders—literally". This is not someone I want to hold the highest office in the land! That was very adult, professional, and mature Obama!! If you need proof he is not ready, you now have it!

April 18, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  2. Obama in 08, 12

Next president will be Barack!

April 18, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  3. ben

Robert Jenkins April 18th, 2008 10:07 am ET said:

"What trite, arrogant punk to believe that he can infer that our 2-term leader is not an adult. He can disagree with him all he likes, but it's just this type of uncivil, pathetic behavior that has lent itself to what Mitt Romney labeled as Washington's "brokenness".

What an idiot!"

Well no, Washington's current brokeness is due to an arrogant administration that has trampled the Constitution, Bill of Rights, lied to the American people, ruined our relationship with the rest of the world, started a pointless war, gotten in bed with corporate interests, and put our country into staggerring debt.

I could go on and on, but for the sake of time and space, I'll just finish by saying that Blooberg is right: this president has acted like a runaway child that is finally about to be put to bed.

April 18, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  4. ladymary

Who cares what Blunie has to say???? He's ruined NYC with his draconian smiking and food laws. We need a leader NOT a rich know-it-all, paternalistic idiot!

April 18, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  5. Ca Native

What is it with mayors from NY thinking they're critically important to the national scene???

Guiliani... Bloomberg... both blowhards.

April 18, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. paul oregon

that would mean that 99.9% of the local state an, fed. politicians
    cant measure up.
    may be lou dobbs would step of this high horse long enough and lead us tothe promised land

April 18, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  7. Simon Jinx

Yeah, he's never liked Obama...

April 18, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  8. Stacy Clarks, TX

This is so condecending for him to say.....we all know that all THREE candidates are adult!!

how rude!!!!!!

April 18, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  9. Marc

Sorry to those thinking Bloomberg wants to be second-in-command. He never takes such roles. He either runs the show or isn't in the game.

April 18, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  10. Susan, Fort Pierce, Florida

What a joke Republicans are. I remember in 2001 they were all bragging how the "grownups" were back in charge! After ruining our economy, digging us deeper into the Iraq quagmire, and destroying this country's reputation and moral authority in every respect I can't blame Bloomberg for what he said. I WANT CLINTON BACK!!

April 18, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  11. Doug NJ

That would be HIllary.

April 18, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  12. Rick from NJ

Senator Clinton is the adult of this Democratic Race.
    She has been completely abused by the media.
    For the first time since the beginning of the campaign, Sen. Obama got a dose of what he will face against the Republicans.
    He won't be able to withstand it. Obama acted like a kid when he kept blaming others for his behavior.
    It was obvious.
    Senator Clinton acted like a leader.
    Obama ran away from the issues and took the plane to NC.

April 18, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  13. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

Let's be realistic. Hillary may not get far, but at least we'll have an adult in office. Either McCain or Obama.

April 18, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  14. James

Who cares what Mike Bloomberg says?

April 18, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  15. ***AMERICAN***

I am still waiting for either of the democrat candidates to act like adults. Same with their supportors. There has been a lot of kindergraten name calling lately. I know, I have done some too. I am going to stop, I just hope others will follow the example.

April 18, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  16. ds

I don't know. My pre-school kids usually show more integrity than do the candidates at times. I'll take integrity over their kind of adult experience any day.

April 18, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  17. truth be told

I guess that rules out Sen Clinton, who keeps complaining that the media is unfair to her!

April 18, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  18. After further review,Texas

I looked up "elite scumbag"on google and this guys pic was there,ha ha.

April 18, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  19. Texan For The Truth!!!

Well I disagree with Bloomburg on we will have three adults in office if one of them gets it. OBAMA is certainly no adult, he can do nothing but copy Hillary, lie about WRIGHT< REZKO< I WAS AGAINST THE IRAQ WAR< Oh yeah! when did you have a say or a vote in the matter OBAMA? NEVER! since you where only a State Senator at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing when you can say whatever and expect people to believe it. Only Obamafreaks could believe in you. I for one am ready for and I CALL FOR YOU TO QUIT NOW BEFORE THE REPUBLICANS WALK RIGHT ON BACK INTO OFFICE. You Sir, are un-electibile. HILLARY 08

April 18, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  20. TLind

sounds like McCain is the candidate Bloomberg is describing. Willing and capable to make "moderate" choices understanding the consequences and costs.

April 18, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  21. Walter, Long Beach

Gee, Mr. Mayor really brought the ditto-heads out of hiding. But I noticed that there don't seem to be many of them.

Maybe the Mayor was just contrasting Bush's youthful vigor to the relative maturity of the Republican's proposed replacement. He meant it as a compliment to both of them, right?

Well, Bush has about ten more months to work on his approval rating. So maybe there are yet newer depths to plumb.

After all, even after Nixon was revealed to be a criminal, he still had the solid 25% that every Republican can count on. So Bush could achieve an historic breakthrough if he just tries a little harder.

Bringing America together at last. A worthy legacy indeed.

April 18, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. 2012

Mr. Mayor, that sounds like a McCain endorsement.........or you're reconsidering an independent run, yourself. Please do, we're desperately in need of a reasonable option.

April 18, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. Deema

If America wanted an adult, they should have chosen Joseph Biden, who will always be president in my book. I'm pulling for Obama now because of his brilliant grasp on foreign policy (second only to Biden's). He's not the best politician, by any means. He stutters a lot, and he speaks from the heart, which is dangerous for any politician. Some people even think he's too "soft," but I think deep down inside we all know better than to fault him with that. America has been an aggressive nation with aggressive people for long enough. It's time for us to exhale and unclench our fists. And then maybe we can actually join hands and get something done. I think Obama has already inspired so many to do this, and that's why I'm voting for him.

Barry & Joe 08