April 18th, 2008

Clinton: Obama 'complaining' about debate

Clinton said Obama is complaining about Wednesday night's debate.
Clinton said Obama is complaining about Wednesday night's debate.

PHILADELPHIA (CNN) - In her first comments about the Wednesday evening’s controversial debate, Hillary Clinton accused Barack Obama of “complaining” about the broadcast and hinted her rival might not be equipped to handle the rigors of the Oval Office.

“I know he spent all day yesterday complaining about the hard questions he was asked,” she told an interviewer Friday morning on WTXF in Philadelphia. “Being asked tough questions in a debate is nothing like the pressures you face inside the White House.”

In campaign stops in Pennsylvania and North Carolina yesterday, Obama criticized both his rival and the debate format, accusing the moderators of focusing on trivialities and saying Clinton was “in her element.”

Seeing an opening after what some pundits regarded as a poor performance by Obama, Clinton used the morning show interview to make the case for her own toughness and determination.

“When the going gets tough you can't run away,” she said of Obama.

Clinton said she had no problems with the debate, a face-off that some critics — and many Obama supporters — claimed was slanted against the Illinois senator.

“The special interests are going to be a lot tougher than 90 minutes of questions from two journalists,” she said, “and we need a president who is going to be up there fighting everyday for the American people and not complain about how much pressure there is, and how hard the questions are.”

1. John

Was I the only one who thought it odd that George Stephanopolous, a close friend of the Clintons, was one of the moderators for the debate? Don't get me wrong, I'll vote for either Democrat come the fall, but seriously ABC...

April 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  2. Tired in Texas

This is actually very funny. She is accusing this guy of complaining about a debate. At the Texas debate she was whining about why people are asking her all of the questions first. Later on she was whining about the so called "media bias" against her. Which is actually quite a fallacy considering that the media kept her in the race despite her losing the whole month of Feburary. It is funny how she is trying to portray herself as an underdog against this guy when it was "suppossed" to be a foregone conclusion that she was the nominee. I use to have a pretty high opinon of Clinton, but the race has truly shown who she is and what she is capable. Obama gets blasted for telling the truth about guns, religion, etc. This woman admits she lied about the story and it's a footnote? I can't vote for this women for President. I'm tired of this petty, tit for tat nonsense. She should focus on her issues and why people should vote for her. Disparaging your fellow democratic colleague is not the way to earn votes or to build a lasting leadership legacy in the party. Just let it go, we need to focus on the real enemy.

April 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  3. Mark in Missouri

Wow. I absolutely didn't see THIS one coming.

Obama can handle the heat. I think he had a gloriously relevent point when he said he wanted to debate about real issues, not the sensationalized bullcrap that says nothing about how the guy would do in the White House

You can't win, Hillary. If you hijack the nomination by pulling as many superdelegate strings as you can, you will not be given the presidency.

Your spin has nauseated me for months, but you might actually make me throw up now.

April 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  4. fred

Obama knows no facts...all he can do is repeat what Hillary says!!! He has no mind of his own!! I bet his wife tells him what to do!! LMAO He is a big cry baby and so are his supporters!!!

April 18, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  5. Trish

Clinton is playing politics the only way she knows how - dirty. Unfortunately, she hasn't realized the American people who've been burned twice by these Rovian tactics have had enough of the spin and negative attacks.

She's turned off quite a few Clinton loyalists like myself because she refuses to realize that these old games have no place in today's politics.

April 18, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

Wasn't Hillary the one who complained about always getting the first question at the last debate? Didn't she complain that the press was too easy on Obama?

April 18, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  7. James

The country is stuck in an endless war, the currency is diving, the debt is out of control and we don't have money for decent health care for most of our citizens and the topic of the evening is......lapel pins.

ABC should be ashamed of itself. This was a stupid waste of time. I can't blame Clinton, but Barack is right, that is not debate, that is gotcha bull.

We have real problems to talk about. If Clinton wants to talk about silly things, let her. We have a country to run.

Looking forward to you getting down to business, President Obama.

April 18, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  8. April in Texas

This wasnt a debate it was a tabloid debacle and ABC should be discursted in themselves. Charles and George spent 50 minutes asking about nothing. It was a one way mudslinging fest which if thats what they were after the questions should have been fair for both. Clinton was never asked many questions I want answered such as why Mark Penn is still with her campaign. What about the Peter Paul trial which is scheduled in Nov. What about the contradictions of NAFTA and CAFTA. What about the 800,000 her husband recieved and the conflict there. What about the missing transcripts from the whitehouse. What about the donors to the Clinton Foundation.
    Where is your flag pin Hillary? What about your preacher and the child molestation issues? You cant even run your campaign much less our country ..You also have weatherman underground connections , alot more of a conflict seens as your husband pardoned two of them from the same group.. You also have the elitist situation such as the whites screw them articles back in 90's. I am also sure you are very bitter that you are losing and you constantly have avoided tough questions instead of answering them head on. I could go on and on.. You sai you have tons of baggage, heck thats not baggage those are LIES and SCANDALS....
    Oh did you dare to mention George Stephologlous (sp) worked for your husband during his whitewater / impeachment years.....
    The DNC needs to end this now as if I was unsure before I am certain now that Hillary Clinton will NEVER get my vote. That debacle of a debate surely sealed my NON VOTE for Hillary in CONCRETE.
    Obama or nothing… If I wasnt BITTER before I am now… Tabloid reporting at its finest c/o ABC which I will now boycott. A written apology for not addressing real issues such as more on the housing issues healthcare the economy ect. anything would have been better than what the american people received..

Obama 08