April 18th, 2008
1 year ago

Dean: I need a decision 'now'

CNN

Watch Howard Dean on CNN Thursday.

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.

1. cathy

Superdelegates< Vote Obama!

April 17, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  2. Utah Teacher

Yeah, c'mon! Join the bandwagon, or stick to your guns (not in the "bitter" sense of the word), but decide already!!!

April 17, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  3. Tanya K

FELLOW DEMOCRATS

LET'S WORK TOGETHER
    I AM A HILLARY SUPPORTER, HOWEVER I WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA IN THE GE IF HE IS THE NOMINEE.

OUR COUNTRY CAN'T STAND ANOTHER BUSH TERM.

April 17, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  4. Wayne, Greenville TX

I'm hoping that after the PA primary, Hillary will see the handwriting on the wall and step aside.

April 17, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  5. AZM

That's right Dean... who cares about rules and democracy... rules YOU SET UP!

What happend to the Democrats screaming "COUNT EVERY VOTE"... guess that's only important when it's self serving!

No wonder the party is spit in half... sad... just sad!

April 17, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  6. Ron R

It's about time you took control of this situation Howard....

April 17, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  7. PA Democrat

Well the gap is closing and closing fastttt!!!!
    Sen. Obama gained 6 NC Superdelegates!
    Of course Hil-LIE-ry supporters of lies and twisted word politricks will say:
    'Oh please- thats not important- oh please 6 new superdelegates oh please- why is this news oh please'

Yep that sounds about right!!!
    Im for Sen. Obama

April 17, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  8. Dana

Who is Dean for ????????????? Maybe he should start the flow ! I hope and pray that he is for Obama, but lets get the ball rolling either way .

April 17, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  9. Ian

What difference does it make when they decide who the nominee is? All three major candidates are poor choices for the country. They'll just make the country worse in their own special way.

April 17, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  10. richard

Let the procces run it's course so that Hillary's fans can't whine about her getting unfair treatment. The delegates should decide on June 4th.

April 17, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  11. Front of the line

April 17, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  12. dl

Dean needs to back off and let the people vote..
    This is just another thinly veiled attempt to push
    Sen. Clinton out off the race.
    If he keeps this up..
    He will be the one who ruins the general election
    for the Democratic Party.

April 17, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  13. George from Minneapolis

The clock is ticking on Hillary. Hopefully, we wont have to put up with her for too much longer.

April 17, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  14. noemi in los angeles

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean has spoken! Superdelegates, must speak now or forever hold your peace!!!! America is waiting!

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!

April 17, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  15. Sacramento4OBAMA

It is about time to bring this crazy primary to an end....................................Go Obama08.

April 17, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. Darth Vadik, CA

About time Dean,

April 17, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  17. Susie

It is too late. Forget about the party. I have considered myself a Democrat and voted Democrat since I was old enough to vote. Dean and the DNC messed this nomination process up. I will now register as an Independent.

April 17, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  18. Whyputaname

He's pleading now, gee I wonder why.....with the fact that the two states that should be counted, but yet have not.

I got an email last night from the DNC looking for a contribution and I wrote them back and told them how I felt! That if my horse don't get the nomination he can count me out.

Hey Gov. Dean the DNC shot themselves in the foot this time!

"Hillay 08"

April 17, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  19. Renee /Expat Winterthur Switzerland

Thank You Howard Dean for finally growing a pair!!! Whether the Democratic Hiearchy wants to admit it or not; this long drawn out , mud slinging war must end!

In my PERSONAL opinion HilLiary wants to win at any cost! I can tell you that I was for her until after the Iowa . I am a life long true to my party Democrat.......but the longer this thing goes on I can tell you in all certainty that I will not vote for Sen. Clinton if she steals the nomination from Sen Obama. He has earned it , if people want to accept that fact or not.

Mind you I will never vote for McSame, but I will not be turning in my Oregon Absentee ballot if HilLiary is the only choice left to me!

April 17, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. jimmy vekmen

HAS DNC CHAIR HOWARD DEAN SETTLED THE MICHIGAN
    AND FLORIDA DELEGATE SEATING PROBLEMS?

April 17, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. INDY PENDENT

"Wooohoooooo" Lets do this Dean.

April 17, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  22. Independent for Hillary, Pittsburgh

I WILL NOT VOT FOR NOBAMA!!!

It's gotta be Hillary !!!

April 17, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. Noah

I watched this interview, Dean actually said that the decision needs to be made after the last votes are cast in June. He did make the now, statement, but he meant after the last votes are cast. This headline is misleading and does not represent what Dean actually said.

He also said that by Clinton remaining in the race, it was good for the party. It gets the candidates in all 50 states and increases voter participation. Please CNN, do better than this.

April 17, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  24. think

this is such hogwash. in a close race, every vote should be heard and THEN superdelegates should decide. does he want the most popular candidate or not? democrats make me sick sometimes.

April 17, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  25. Body Canada

Mr. Dean we understand what you are going through. I think after the general election, the issue of superdelegate have to be revisited. No more superdelegates. PERIOD!!! FULL STOP!!!

April 17, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |