April 18th, 2008

Dean: I need a decision 'now'

CNN

Watch Howard Dean on CNN Thursday.

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.

1. John

Dean should be quiet and let the primaries continue. Why rush into a decision you might regret later?

April 17, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  2. Dem Nuts

Democracyhypocrisy –

Salutations, "I salute you".

Dems seem to be a little different and with

soooo many personal agenda's. They tend to forget history plays

apart in everything because it is documented. Let's play – "Make up

the rules as we go along just because". We are Dem Nuts and can

change our minds anytime we want to.

April 17, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  3. alice2

Why can't they make up their mind. It just seems like a thing that is not being done right. Why do we even have them. The people are the ones who's vote is suppost to count. How can superdels just appoint whoever THEY want. If we have to have them, then they should have to vote the WILL OF THE PEOPLE. I am beginning to think out votes REALLY DO NOT COUNT. So much for our DEMOCRACY. Washington Delegates win and the people lose?????

April 17, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  4. Joe in California

I don't know... In the beginning I would have voted for either Clinton or Obama.. But when Clinton went with the "kitchen sink" tactics. Then finding out about she "mis-spoke" about Bosnia, it really turned me off to her.

I know all politicians lie, but she is willing to do ANYTHING to try and win, even if it destroys the party... I can't even think of allowing myself to vote for her... Her type of campaigning is the reason why I haven't voted since Regan was in office... Just tired of the non-issue being a bigger issue than the real problems that face our nation.

Hey call me bitter and angry but that's how I feel... Maybe I'll go cleave to my gun or somethin'... =)

April 17, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  5. Kazelxne

Hi webmaster!

April 17, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  6. tracey

NOT until all the votes are counted, have you forgotten what an election is all about. Dean needs to step back and wait his turn if anything the superdelagates need to wait and see, instead of trying to stop the election. We are not republicans who steal elections we believe in the democratic process

April 17, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  7. DEMS UNITE

I am for Obama but if he doesn't win I am voting for HIllary, McCain doesn't know anything about the economy and wants to keep us in Iraq for the next 100 years!!!

April 17, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  8. amir Cali

howard..how bout you pick your candidate and maybe the rest will follow.

obama or clinton 08!!!!

April 17, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  9. Mk

Biggest news flash of the Democratic campaign – Dean is taking a stand of some sort.

Superdelegates – make the right decision. The wrong one will actually hurt the country for the next four years, if enough people are motivated to turn out to vote Democratic. You know which candidate I'm talking about without me even mentioning her name.

Obama '08

April 17, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  10. Melvin, IA

Jay Leno was right. He said he's for the GOP until they do something greedy, and then he's for the Dems until they do something stupid.

Well how stupid do you have to be Dean, to throw away the best chance this country has had in a long time to elect a Democrat. You waited too long, and I doubt if there's anything you can do now.

I'm an angry Democrat, and I say let the GOP have our country for another 4 years, we're too stupid to lead. Barack was your best chance, until you let Hillary dump on the party for one solid month. God help us, because McSame is smiling about how many more soldiers will take a trip to a few of his favorite places, all of them war zones. You Dems are idiots.

April 17, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  11. sam

Noah – thanks for actually reporting the news. CNN, you dropped the ball again!

April 17, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  12. Pat

Obama folks! , McCain does not have a chance in H*** of beating him in an election and the Republicans know it. That is why they would rather run against Hillary. She is like a slinky, tell it this way – then that way and the Rep. will have a field day with her.

Pat in Canada

April 17, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  13. Chris

Keep the mud flying Dems!!!

All you zealous Hillary and Obama supporters who say that you will vote for McCain if your fist choice is not on the Democratic ticket....you only will have yourselves to blame when Republicans appoint more conservative judges and Roe v. Wade is FINALLY overturned.....your silliness is so great all the Republicans are doing are LAUGHING at you all.

April 17, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  14. Twinkle

I am glad that it was on ABC the Handwritting was on the wall race does matter. There is a outstanding man who has he credit to become the President you got blacks who wont stand up for him democrates who are scared to take a stand why are people not asking her to step down i know for sure if the shoe was on the other foot he would be gone by now. Al Gore, Dean, The scared Democrates stand up get her out before its too late.

April 17, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  15. SueB

I'm a republican. I will vote for Obama. I will not vote for Clinton. I cannot vote for McCain because he's tied himself to the Bush policies. Bush lied to get us into a war that has killed over 4000 of our finest young people. I never thought I would vote for a democrat; but, I believe that Obama will at least tell us the truth and restore the constitution which Bush has trashed. (As someone who voted for Reagan, Bush Sr, and, unfortunately, Bush Jr–I can't believe how bitter I am about what George W. and Cheney have done to this country.)

April 17, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  16. Sharon

You make them decide now and you will for sure make EVERY SINGLE ONE of Hillary's true supporters vote for McCain......I will be if Bo gets given the nomination....the count in my family and neightborhood is officially over 3000 voters :) YAY!

April 17, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  17. Edia

People are finding it hard to believe that inspite of all the negative information surfacing about Obama, that the media continues to support him. Where are all these polls coming from, all the people that I have talked to do not, DO NOT!, want Obama. When Bush was running for president, there were so many negative facts that were telling people that he was not the one. Does everyone have blinders on when it comes to Obama??

Hillary for President, EB

April 17, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  18. Ficklehead Dean

Shut the hell up, Dean. Grow a spine, you idiot. You let that witch trash the party, what a moron.

April 17, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  19. Nik

Agreed. Spineless superdelegates need to take a stand one way or another. No wonder nothing ever gets done in Congress.

April 17, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  20. ITS ABOUT TIME

wow! Thank you Mr. Dean for finally reading the handwriting on the wall... I can't for the life of me understand what the HECK took you so long. You can bet your YEEEEEEEEEEAAAHHAAAA that you will be looking for a new job after this is over.

Thanks for.. um.. getting a spine.

April 17, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  21. HAKO

What hypocrisy about the debates. When the Center for Fairness in the Media released their study showing bias against Hillary it was greeted with silence. Where was the outrage? There was none, because it was just Hillary, and she is considered fair-game. Obama has to field tough questions (that the national media should have been asking months ago) and it's an "outrage". Let me describe something truly outrageous: The national media, cable news shows, Wall Street, Democratic Party leaders (Kennedy, Kerry, Pelosi, Brazile) Oprah and MoveOn.org using their combined resources to crush Hillary out of the race. That is truly outrageous. So much so that if Obama "wins" the nomination I will be voting for McCain. I use the term "wins" loosely.

April 17, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  22. Yvonne

Why are Hillary supporters so afraid of the SDs weighing in now? BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY WON'T CHOOSE HILLARY! It's over for Hillary and putting off the inevitable won't help.

I'm sick of your threats not to vote for Obama. Good riddance. Leave the party NOW and go work for McCain because Hillary WILL NOT BE THE NOMINEE!!

April 17, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  23. Sandy

Let the other states be heard. You cn't shut them down like you did Michigan and Florida. Obama failed miserably last night and Dean doesn't want his golden boy hurt anymore. This is America....Let the other states have their say.

April 17, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  24. Diane

Dean – you end the primaries now – I'd certainly become a McCain supporter.

April 17, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  25. Lynette

The SuperDs will need to vote the will of the people! The will of the people are going for Obama! I cannot believe she's still throwing around the Wright issue, the bitter issue, etc., etc., etc.

April 17, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |