April 18th, 2008
1 year ago

Dean: I need a decision 'now'

CNN

Watch Howard Dean on CNN Thursday.

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.

1. Kentucky

Yes!!! Lets get this thing over with before the Clinton's ask for an extension of 6 more months of campaigning and to move the general election into next year. The time has come for the news media to concentrate on important issues, instead of "rag paper" journalism.

April 17, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  2. Gary

Howard Dean needs to make the necessary corrections to let all votes and delegates count and be seated at the convention. It is Howard Dean and his Democratic Committee Leaders who may have made all these changes to fix this party election!!!!

Howard Dean is more like Hitler with a DNC Dictatorship.

The DNC committee Leaders, by not allowing the votes and delegates to count, are facilitating a Bias election for Obama. Obama not standing for all the votes to be counted is agreeing with the DNC Dictatorship.

Obama made a choice not to be on the ballot in Michigan and the Michigan and Florida citizens Voted in National Primaries. All the votes need to be counted and all the delegates at the convention.

Hillary is the stronger candidate to lead in the larger states and win in the fall election against McCain.

April 17, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  3. Scott C

The people have voted.

If there was a chance Clinton could win as a result of the remaining contests I would want her to stay in.

Unfortunately for her she can't win. If she wins by less than 20 points on Tuesday she has no chance of catching up.

Especially if she loses North Carolina, which she certainly will.

The race is over. She needs 3 touchdowns at the two minute warning in the 4th... she can't do it.

April 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  4. Robert

Any democrat that votes for a republican because their ego is too big to accept that a majority didn't vote for their candidate should never be allowed to vote again. People like this are responsible for the bush administration having their glowing 8 years of taking this country apart piece by piece.

So to those of you that would vote republican, go have a beer, pretend that it's 8 years ago and your voting for bush because you wanna have a beer with him. Then forget to vote.. nobody will miss your lame reason for opting to sink the boat because it wasn't painted the color you wanted. Idiots.. people like you are what's wrong with this country.

April 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  5. mili vanili

It's about freakin time he acted like a leader, and demanded an end to this long, long, movie that seems to be 1 hour too long. I am being honest, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired of looking and listening to hillery. This thing needs to end soon before the faithful become unhopeful she needs to get out of the race, and take her stinking breathe and attitude with her.

April 17, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  6. Chipo

You screwed this up all along and NOW you want people to decide. BOOO. Wait until it is over you moron

April 17, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  7. Simple thought

hey Howard, you done lost your base, try again in 2012, your a looser and so is obama.
    democrat voting republican in November.

April 17, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  8. BIG PETE SR.

Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! end this mess! the clintons have tried to divide this party long enough! now super delegates make the rigth choice! SEN. OBAMA will take us to another level,that we need so bad! we are one nation! and if she was change she would have never went negative!she is for herself! and does not begin to think about the poor and the joblesss,and the homeless! her family is set for LIFE!

April 17, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  9. Kathy, Andover

That would be nice . . . but I'll believe it, when I see it!

April 17, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  10. Sir Crimson

Superdelegates are not democratic, and if they don't vote in the direction that the general population has voted for (Obama), there will be hell to pay. We need to begin demolishing outdated and stupid political processes starting NOW.

April 17, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  11. thall999

AND the band played ON! Sing Fat lady Sing!

Democrats '08

April 17, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  12. Bonheur

It's about time Mr. Dean. We need to get this party healed and started. The Super Delagates need to come out of the closet and end this thing! After last nights horribly moniterated debate, we Dems can't take anymore of this.

April 17, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  13. Barbara from Seattle

Good for you, Howard Dean, to finally move to unite the Democratic Party!

April 17, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  14. FEDUP

Your going to give this election to the Republicans, in what should have been a landslide for the Democrats. What a bunch of jerks, I'm switching to the GOP. I will not vote for Obama, he is such a spineless, all talk kind of person. God, I hope words are all we need to solve the problems we are facing. I think we will go into a great depression (again) if he is the next President. I will at least be able to say, "don't look at me, I wanted her." McCain at least, really loves this country, and has his whole life.

April 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  15. Kayln

I am from New York. I voted for Mrs Clinton as she is my senator.

I think superdelegates should come and vote for the one who is leading.

I think both Sen Clinton and Sen Obama are pretty much the same when it comes to issues.

I really do not understand politics in who can win the General Election. I think both of them are electable

I want to see a Democrat in White House. I think this bitter fight will lead to nowhere.

Kayln

April 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  16. NObama

I've never voted for a republican but will if Obama is nominated even if Clinton stumps for him. He is the least proven candidate for president in my adult lifetime and the most devisive force in America today.

April 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  17. Matt

Wow, it is amazing how stubborn you Hillary supporters are. SHE CAN'T WIN!!!

April 17, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  18. MJA

Interesting...Obama starts getting himself into trouble an now Dean want the Super Ds to make up their mind.....I live in Florida, what do you intend to do about our delegation? Obama doesnt seem to care about us

April 17, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  19. sand

I am a registered Dem but I will never vote for Obama....he is a creep..and the more he is out in public the more he shows what he is really all about...He needs to step down..I would rather see McCain in there than him...and I am sick of seeing his face every few seconds on TV..come on enough is enough already

April 17, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  20. Mike from Syracuse NY

With 10 states yet to vote, having the superidiots decide now will effectively be having them decide the candidate. I guess Democrats only want to count some of the votes, some of the time. By the way, a recount was done in 2000 and Gore lost. So get over it!

April 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  21. Tom in MA

Fire Dean!

April 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  22. nmt

To Howard Dean,

Stay out of it – let the process go to completion and let the people decide who the candidate should be. There will be ample time for "healing" and ultimately winning without unnatural intererference wnich will only serve to alienate party members further.

Thas's what I thought Democrary and the Democratic Party were all about.

April 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  23. ml

what is the rush?

April 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  24. Rita Gupta

What? I saw the interview, and Dean clearly said that he would need the decision by June......why does CNN put a spin on the news?? Now is APRIL -–JUNE is month and a half away!!

April 17, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  25. Steven

I'm appalled at Dean. He's supposed to safeguard democracy, isn't he? Is it democratic not to allow 10 more states to vote??? What's his hurry, really?? I don't buy it. And I'm not giving another cent to the Democratic Party until they allow MI and FL voters to COUNT as citizens of this country.

He sounds desperate and afraid. Oh, great.

April 17, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |