April 18th, 2008

Dean: I need a decision 'now'

CNN

Watch Howard Dean on CNN Thursday.

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.

1. Freedwoman

Well, I guess Obama will lead us into the second Civil War in this country. He won't have one second to worry or shudder about Iraq. the debate last night indicated clearly that he is not ready for prime time - maybe in 20 or 30 years. but not now.

GO HILLARY, ready on day One!

April 17, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  2. John c WA

He's right. Hillary is trying to ruin Obama and has broken the honor of her party. If she stays we may loose to McCain. Last nights debate was absurd. If Obama was in a general election debate he would have torn McCain apart. He is attempting to stay the high ground while being attacked by the Clinton/MCCain team. She is not concerned about the party and will attack anyone to get back into the White House. Let's get going against Mc Cain. I don't think Obama should debate anymore as this debate only helped McCain.

April 17, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  3. JB T F ID

I hope it won't take the Dems this long to decide stuff once they take back the White House.

April 17, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  4. Elisabeth

Superdelagates – take Florida and Michigan into consideration and vote for Hillary Clinton.

April 17, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  5. neal

Yes sir before we give McBush four more years.

April 17, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  6. Rockford IL

If Dean goes through with this prior to people being able to vote I'm done with this party!

McCain 08

At least the (Rs) have some loyalty

April 17, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  7. JB

I am a die-hard HRC supporter and I COULD NEVER SUPPORT OBAMA! NEVER!

April 17, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  8. dale in indiana

sounds like the chairman that he's worried about hillary winning penn. and indiana and got himself in a bind by not allowing mich. and fla. votes to count...

April 17, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  9. Celia Ann in Michigan

It's about Time, Howard!!!

Get out from under the desk, the sniper fire was a hoax!!!

Don't worry, someone will drag Billary to the Limo and give them both a shot of Crown Royal! It's be ok!!!

April 17, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  10. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

I agree with Dean; superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

They need to have the courage to make a choice, if they are scared than they should not be superdelegates. Have some balls and choose now! If it is Hillary than do it just be ready or the back-lash.

Obama 08/12

April 17, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  11. pablo

Letting the process go on through June can actually be a good thing. Record number of new dem. registers, being talked about in the media getting their points across, etc.

I know people are very feel very committed and loyal to their candidate now. Just make sure we unite in the end and get behind whoever the nomination is………and stop four more years of the same failed polices.

April 17, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  12. Jane

Barack Obama will win anyway! Let the Hillbots whine and demand she stay in the race. Then they won't be complaining later when Barack Obama is PRESIDENT and Billary goes back to Arkansas to raise a pig farm. Suuuuuueeeeeeeyyyyyy!!

April 17, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  13. Josh, Latino NC voter

Dean needs to shut his mouth. Let the superdelegates decide who they would like to support. Hillary has been mistreated this whole election, and I think in the end she will shine like a star. Obama, on the other hand will come crashing down under so much controversy he didn't know what hit him. All I do know now, is that Clinton will be getting my North Carolinian vote, and I will campaign as hard as I can in her favour because she is not an elitist like Obama.

April 17, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  14. aliou salam, Jacksonville FL

That's my party's chairman. My question is what took you so long?

45 mn attacking each other on a debate where abc was out to enjoy the most of the nastiness!!!!

April 17, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  15. jfs Memhis, Tn

"D" Day has come at LAST....................Based on the lopsided debate last night the MEDIA will force this thing well into the convention. THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE A SELECTION SUPER-DELEGATES. WE cannot afford anymore money or lost planning time for NOVE. HOW about April 23???????

April 17, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

DEMOCRATS STAND STRONG TOGETHER. REPUBLICANS DON'T WANT A 3RD BUSH TERM AND THEY ARE CROSSING OVER TO DEMOCRATS WHETHER IT'S HILLARY OR OBAMA SO WHY WOULD A DEMOCRAT WANT TO CROSS OVER TO ANOTHER GWB CLONE. DEMOCRATS FOR DEMOCRATS.

April 17, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  17. STORY

THAT IS VERY ANTIDEMOCRATIC
    PRESSURE
    BECAUSE HE ENDORSED OBAMA
    AND POOR LITTLE OBAMA
    IS GETTING HURT

April 17, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  18. jl

WHERE IS THE LIST OF THE SUPERDELEGATES WHO HAVE NOT

MADE A DECISION?

PERHAPS IF WE WERE REMINDED WHO THEY ARE- THEY WILL BE

MORE INCLINED TO MAKE A MOVE SOONER THAN LATER!

April 17, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  19. typical whte male

Shut up Dean! You are so ignorant. We want a decision NOW on Florida and Michigan... you need to go. Let PA and Indiana choose Hillary first.

April 17, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  20. Carolyn

OK Howie, you first.

April 17, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  21. Pat, UC Davis

"Boxing's been good to me, Howard
    But now [Hill's] told, [the act's] growing old
    The whole time you knew
    A couple of years [she'd] be through
    ... Has boxing been good to you?"
    -Ben Folds (with my additions in brackets)

April 17, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  22. AZM

The more I think about this the more it bothers me... but I guess given this years primary nothing should shock my anymore... Astounding!

April 17, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  23. Mark Anthony

YES PLEASE!!! Lets move this along, the superdelegates already have their minds made up. The longer we wait the longer we stand a chance of 8 more years of the "Bush Policy."

April 17, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  24. Doris Bibbs

END IT NOW!!! If Obama was behind in the race the way "Silliary" is they would have forced him out a long time ago. YES WE CAN, GO OBAMA, YES, YES, YES

April 17, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  25. DJ, LA, CA

Yeah let her run the course. Otherwise the Hillary supporters will abandon the party and register as Republicans. Gotta love how 1/3 polled have threatened to vote for McCain if she loses.

Dean is right in principle though. How can they NOT know who to vote for after all this time? It's like they are just waiting to see which way the wind blows before safe to say.

April 17, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |