April 18th, 2008
1 year ago

Dean: I need a decision 'now'

CNN

Watch Howard Dean on CNN Thursday.

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.

1. Bayou Joe

Howard shut up and wait till Denver. That is the process so stop bellyaching about the campaign. Several States have not voted yet.
    Let their votes count. Otherwise your party will pay for taking their votes away from them. Just like you did Fla and Mi.

April 17, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  2. kentucky

Howard Dean needs to let everyone in this country. Obviously Florida and Michigan do not count in Deans mind. They will in November though and maybe not the way Dean wants them to.
    I can see why Dean wants super delegates to vote ASAP after the Philly debate. Barack Obama looked incredibly inept.
    Hillary Clinton 2008!

April 17, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  3. James, PA

Clinton is ruining the party. This primary should come to an end.

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  4. nate

Totally agree – the debate last nite was the straw that broke the camel's back and yes if I have to I will swallow hard and vote for Hillary.

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  5. Ophelia/FL

the media got this one wrong. That debate was a mess! God bless us all. Obama"08"

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  6. Democracyhypocrisy

When did we start counting each and every vote. Normally, the game was over before it gets to all these states. That is "American democracy". Now you want to change the rules just because HRC is behind? I agree it is a messed up system but you can't change it now. Both nominees had their own strategy in relation to the “rules”. They should have made it clear before the game started ( by the ways they did until HRC started crying about it) …now it is too late, let the game going …she needs to get out and plan on plan B. She was ok with it since she believed she “own” the title. Too late now!!!
    Now, you democrats stay behind Obama who is your nominee. Just a 2 cents advice from an independent voter!

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  7. Mike in Scranton, PA

If the Democratic Party doesn't back off and let democracy run its proper course, they are going to lose a huge share of voters - myself included. I am aware that there are many that would like to see Obama as the nominee. However, there are also nearly as many - despite what the media would like to report - that would like to see Clinton as the nominee. This is a VERY close race, and voters need an opportunity to weigh in. The DNC has already agreed to discount Michigan and Florida. This sort of divisiveness has just got to stop, or else a Democrat doesn't stand a chance of being elected as President.

And if Dean and his other so-called "progressive pals" think that forcing Clinton out of the race prematurely will somehow magically stop any vetting of Obama going forward, they are wrong. It's going to end up costing all of us. So stop it!

I

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  8. kentucky

Hillary Clinton 2008!

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  9. JP in Atlanta

Thanks for finally starting your job as Chairman of the DNC. Where have you been all these months?

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  10. Frank

Well, gee, now I'll bet all of those pesky super-delegates just snap to attention and cast their votes!

Why didn't someone just do this before?

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  11. Utah Teacher

aliou,
    I don't think anyone worried that you were an "SD."

April 17, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  12. OUR USA!

Actually CNN, Dean also said, he respected that all the votes be counted in this interview today. Obama did a fine job of shutting the voters in two states up that are going to shut him out in November. So if all the Obama sheep want to continue to wrap this up, you may as well start putting your true signs out, for McCain, because this is what Obama's winning strategy has been about, republicans pretending to support Obama to get Clinton out, and then smash Obama like a cockroach in the end. Must say he is very deserving of it too. Arrogant slick Jay-Jay.

April 17, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  13. California Voter

Why should they make up their minds now? Aren't there some states who haven't voted? Neither candidate can gain a majority to win, but why not let the process play out. Why have super delegates at all?
    If the democrats wanted a candidate they would not have supported a process that allows this to play out.

GO HILLARY!

April 17, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  14. Unelectable

Time for Obama to step aside. He is unelectable and last night's debate only solidifiies that argument. He couldn't take the light punching he got last night and started to whine about it not being fair. What would he tell McCain and the Repubican attack machine: Oh, come on guys, play nice. I'm Obama. People think I'm cool. Please don't be mean." (sniff, sniff). If Obama and his supporters can't take the heat, then he should go home and crawl under his bed. Obama should step aside for the good of the party so Hillary can focus on defeating both the Republican attack machine and McCain in November. She is the smartest, most electable candidate. Hillary 2008.

April 17, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  15. Larry from LA

I guess no one told Hillary about being fair. She just needs more time to keep attacking Mr. Obama. That is all she does non stop and when he defends himself by her standards he is the negative one. Enough already and lets get this nomination over with.

April 17, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  16. Ilona Proud Canadian

I am going to put out a challenge here!

For all Sen. Clinton's supporters, tell us why you want her to be the democratic nominee. However the rule is we do not want to hear about your opinion of Sen. Obama, remember rules are rules, just tell us why you are so committed to voting Sen. Clinton into the white House.

April 17, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  17. Mr. Bill

jimmy – and you somehow think the Republicans will go easier on Clinton? GET REAL. Clinton has much more going against her than Obama does.

April 17, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  18. Jackson

Dean has already alienated Florida and Michigan voters ... does he want to add even more states to the list of those who are going to be unfavorable to the Democratic candidate? And, how many Clinton voters does he think his candidate will get if he calls this early? I would say few if any. Let the Primary Season end the way it is supposed to ... in June!!

April 17, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  19. Seat Florida and Michigan

Hillary deserves the Florida and Michigan votes. Obama has Florida votes but needs to split the uncommitted Michigan votes with Edwards. If this does not happen I may vote Republican because this primary is that close.

April 17, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  20. jt

My decision is CLINTON!!

CLINTON!!!

CLINTON!!!

April 17, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  21. William

Stay out of it Dean, you've screwed the party enough. I'm changing parties after the primary. Let the people speak. Go Hillary or McCain, never Obama

April 17, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  22. zach

Its about time.....the more I see of that HRC woman the more I want to puke......We have had enough! Hillary is in denial and needs to get out of that river and go back to whereever she is from.

Zach
    Seattle

PS That woman cannot answer a simple yes or no answer. I am fed up with the likes of her

April 17, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  23. aliou salam, Jacksonville FL

Good job Dean,

McCain has the floor for himself while Dems are doing his job for him. We the people in all of this are completely lost.

I am angry, frustrated, and soooo not enjoying what clinton is doing to our party's candidate. Now Obama can take the fight to Mc cain on issues I care for.

Good job.

April 17, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  24. Christine

I live in Oregon and we vote May 20. Why set the primary up this way if you aren't going to allow all the votes?

I have always been a democrat, but this election shows me that party leadership is a mess.

April 17, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  25. lg Illinois

I am a lifelong IL resident as well as a Democrat but I am south of Springfield which the Chicago politicians dont even acknowledge. I as well as many others I have spoken to would not support Obama as the nominee. For the first time in my life I will be voting Republican if Obama is the nominee. I would rather take my chance with 4 more years of McSame.

Hillary 08