April 18th, 2008

Dean: I need a decision 'now'

CNN

Watch Howard Dean on CNN Thursday.

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.

1. Mike

Howard is as good a DNC lead as he was a Dem candidate... maybe this guy should go back to being a Doctor?

April 17, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  2. JAZZ

Yeah well folks in hell want ice water and they won't be getting that either. How dare you change the rules after the game has started. Wasn't that your mantra to FL and MI? Now you're cutting out the remaining states. What arrogance!
    This is the same thuggish behavior used on Hillary supporters in those caucuses and on black voters supporting Hillary. You can shove him down our throats but you can't make us vote for him.

April 17, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  3. maryann

I think this is just silly. Why not let the other states vote first and then they can make up their minds. I am a Canadian and I can not believe the bias in this election. Why in world Hillary Clinton want to keep taking this crap is beyond me. She should just throw them all under the bus and let them reap what they sow. Clinton is to good for the democratic party. Obama is nothing but a cry baby and if that is what you people want for your President, Good Luck. I hope the superdelegates have some back bone. But from what I have seen on television I doubt it. Why is everyone so afraid of offending Obama and the african americans. I am not a prejudiced person I believe we are all equal but this election has sure opened my eyes. Clinton is muzzled because of this.

April 17, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  4. D in NM

Calm Down HOWARD you screaming idiot!
    For the past 15 months you've stated through your silent, not so silent rhetoric to " let Americans vote"
    Now that Sen Clinton received GOOD PRESS (finally!!) from last night's debate...Howard Wants the Super D's to get in lock step for OBAMA. NOT SO FAST , Slick Howard!! Ten more primaries AND the COUNTING of all popular votes from AMERICANS in FLORIDA and MICHIGAN PLEASE!!!

April 17, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  5. Keyon

This is true. The dean need to tell Clinton to get out of the race. She is putting us in a bad position for Mccain. It time for this to end NOW. She need to see she can't win. It's not part of GOD's Plan.

April 17, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  6. An Agnostic Democrat

Well, look who finally grew a pair! 'Bout time ...

April 17, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  7. Tyrone Brown, Seattle, WA

Now that is what I'm talking about!

Yes, it is time for 300 plus superdelegates to get-off-the-fence and stop the nonsense! Show some leadership! Help get this country back on track and stop holding the process "hostage!"

Make the decision NOW!!!

Tyrone Brown
    Seattle, WA

April 17, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  8. Dems Unite

Yay Tanya and Margaret! Right on!

I'm an Obama supporter, but as much as I distrust Hillary, McCain is 1000 times worse. He will do nothing about the Iraq War or the economy.

Any Democrat who votes for McCain is basically approving of the war in Iraq. If McCain wins the war will be *your* fault, not Bush's.

Please do your patriotic duty and vote Democratic in 2008, no matter who the nominee is.

April 17, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  9. Great

I AM AN OBAMA SUPPORTER AND I WILL VOTE FOR HILLARY IF SHE BECOMES THE NOMINEE. WE CANNOT HAVE ANOTHER BUSH IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

Democrats Unite!

April 17, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  10. Susan

Unless you want rioting in the streets Supers, do not overturn the candidate with the most pledged delegates....

April 17, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  11. John - Maryland

'bout time......We need to prepare for the GE.

April 17, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  12. NickSanDiego

That ok Dean Do YOUR JOB and IGNORE all of this crybabies whineing about " I will vote for McCain of my goddess Hillary loses) We AND Hillary OR Obama doesn't want them Hillary even said so HERSELF. These people are deranged and don't even listen to their own chosen QUEEN! Let them all go to McSame he will Still Lose anyway.

We know it is just code for Racism anyway

April 17, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  13. richard

Hows bout you decide on Michigan, and Florida first. The chanting is going to be from them "steal my voice lose my vote". Stop allowing the Obama lawyers from halting the decision. The Obama Bush it bears a bitter fruit.

April 17, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  14. clfelton

I rather vote Mccain then wake up in h_ll with Obama holding the fork.

Hillary 08

April 17, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  15. California Girl

Hey Mr. Dean,

First and foremost count and certify the votes in Michigan and Florida. Florida and Michigan should be accounted for.

Superdelegates vote your conscience: Vote for experience – HILLARY

April 17, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  16. Lana

I voted for Mondale/Ferrarro in 1984;
    Dukakis/Bentsen in 1988; Clinton/Gore in 1992 & 1996;
    Gore/Joe (gag skumbag)Lieberman in 2000...I demanded that the Florida votes be recounted or redone..(we see what happened);
    Kerry (triple gag skumbag)/ Edwards in 2004...held my nose to Kerry;
    (my first choice was Howard Dean)
    In 2008, I will not allow the democrats to stop the primary until all states have voted; I am disgusted at Howard Dean for not allowing the votes in FL and MI to be counted (foreget the delegates but let the votes be inclued.) If we get to the end of the primaries and it's still a squeaker, and anyone in the democrat party screams that someone should bow out, or that FL and MI votes are still being ignored...I AM DONE WITH THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. I will not vote for McCain. If we have LOU DOBBS run as an independent, or someone very much like him (white, black ,male, female-does'nt matter) They will get my vote. Otherwise, I leave that part of the ballot blank.

April 17, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  17. Dem Nuts

He speaks up as the head of your DNC??? You disrespect his

official position?? And you blog as if you are qualified to do his job??

Nice! Let me understand this – her supporter's can no longer defend '

her….they don't personally like Obama because he's not ??……

so they are going to vote for McCain in Nov because? Let me guess?

He's??? …. Amazing!!! This is insane…. Rush Limbaugh may be

alot of ugly things… but he is right about the Dem party – You folks

have issues and you really can't get along.. All of you are as bad as

the media, but you do it for free.. Agressive bunch, "both old and

young"..

April 17, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  18. Christine

GCG in Austin stated "You hear a whole lot of people in these final states claiming that they're excited that their vote really means something, as in the past it just hasn't meant much anymore. Given that, I don't expect there to be any sort of "blowback" of angst by the remaining states and territories because it won't be any different than in other years."

I disagree. We have been waiting for the opportunity to have our votes mean something. I for one am becoming more and more disillusioned with the democratic party and all the calls to end the election. I am voting for the candidate of my choice on May 20 or in November.

April 17, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  19. Linda

The superdelegates should vote now!!! Obama 08!!!

I much prefer Obama, but will definitely vote for Clinton if she is the nominee. Please, fellow Democrats, don't vote Republican if your candidate is not the nominee.

A vote for McCain is a vote against a woman's right to choose and could very well result in Roe v. Wade being overturned by conservative appointments to the Supreme Court.

April 17, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  20. mitch from ark.

in other words,he wants you to step down ,now,hillary,while you still have a chance to retain some dignity,and remain a so-called 'democrat'.

April 17, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  21. Femstar

WITH OBAMA DEMOCRAT SUCKS. GO McCAIN!

April 17, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  22. FB

Suckers! You all buy into this article just like CNN wants. Everyone seems to want to point a finger at someone. This reason or that reason is why my candidate lost. Ultimately a candidate will win because the democratic system works. People vote, and at the end one candidate will have more delegates and will then be appointed the nominee. Be it because when all votes are counted there is a clear winner, or one candidate is left due to the fact that all others drop out of the race knowing they cannot win enough delegates to be appointed the nominee.

April 17, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  23. Obama Nation

Calm down Mr. Dean, at least wait until the primaries are over

April 17, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  24. Kirk From Michigan

I need a decision 'now' .

Dean & The Obama What Is Your Problem ?
    You have already disenfranchished , Michigan and Florida . Now You Want the Super Delegates to Chose a Canidate Now . Let The People Vote !!!!

Hillary 08"

April 17, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  25. Lori

Super D's: End this nightmare! VOTE OBAMA NOW.

April 17, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |