April 18th, 2008

Former Sens. Nunn and Boren join Obama’s team

Nunn and Boren endorsed Obama Friday.
Nunn and Boren endorsed Obama Friday.

(CNN)—Former Senators Sam Nunn and David Boren endorsed Barack Obama’s candidacy Friday and accepted the invitation to serve as advisors on his National Security Foreign Policy team.

“I believe that Senator Obama has a rare ability to restore America’s credibility and moral authority and to get others to join us in tackling serious global problems that will determine our own well being and security,” Nunn said in a statement.

Senator Nunn served as chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee for 10 out of his 25 years in the Senate. Senator Boren was the longest-serving Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and one of President Bill Clinton’s top choices to replace Les Aspin in 1994 as U.S. Secretary of Defense. Between the two, they have nearly 60 years of high ranking Senate experience.

Boren said in a statement, “Our most urgent task is to end the divisions in our country, to stop the political bickering, and to unite our talents and efforts,” citing Obama as the best Candidate to do so.

Throughout their time in the Senate, Nunn and Boren were known as two relatively conservative Democrats. Obama said he is honored to have them as part of his team.

“Both of these men will be important sources of advice and counsel for our campaign in the months ahead,” Obama said in a statement.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ron L

DRIP..DRIP...DRIP...DRIP...the sound of the Clinton campaign coming to END!!!

She has become her own worst enemy and THAT is what is turning people off. INCLUDING people from President Clintons cabinet.

THIS SAYS ALOT and IT IS NOT GOOD!!!

April 18, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  2. Pamela

Go Obama, TANZANIA is with you…All of Africa is with you !!!! Obama for 2008 !
    America you are showing the rest of the WORLD that your democracy is open to all Americans – whites, blacks, blew, red, Hispanics, Asiatics, native Americans, etc, etc, Oh ! GO AMERICA, Tanzania is proud of you !

April 18, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  3. Bitter in Texas

Thank you Sen Boren...you were a great Governor, Senator and President of the University of Oklahoma.....Boomer...Sooner!!!! Go Obama!

April 18, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  4. I have a goldfish

I think it silly that people writ on here but dont' know how to profread what they writ. I to stop read these these cuz they make me crazy. We all dum.

April 18, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. carl

It's over the Obama machine is on the move. clinton did her very best, now let all unite and back Obama and win the nov. election.

April 18, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Michael,Ms

I heard another one from Ohio switched from Clinton to Obama. The other night Pat Buchanan made a statement which I found very interesting. He said if Obama wins Penn or even loses by a few points the Republicans are in trouble, he contends that everything that Clinton is throwing at him is what the Republicans will throw and if none of it sticks that means the people don't care about Wright and all the other issues.

April 18, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. disappointed

Mr Obama, please watch what you say, do not twist words. Hillary has lost lots of support for her twisting of words, do you want to get into the same place. If so, I can predict a McCain win.

April 18, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. NickSanDiego

How much of a mental midget do you have to be to keep saying SO WHAT THIS IS NOT NEWS????

You would be rolling in JELLO if these people were flocking to Clinton and you would be telling Obama to quit and YOU KNOW IT.

But keep it up. You make us laugh.

April 18, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Emma CA

These endorsements speak volumes about Obama's character.

Americans are more trusting of Obama than Hillary and her efforts to belittle Obama and the people of PA. On top of her immature accusations, she keeps digging it in as if she were beating a dead horse.

We need a president who values all Americans, who can stand tall despite criticisms instead of telling falsehoods

Another debate cannot undo Clinton's wrecking ball behavior.

Obama continues to attract great Americans to his team and will continue to draw additional credible advisors.

April 18, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. emmanuel "geo" George

two more has joined the elite dream team......will there be any republicans joining the team? i sure there is atleast ONE

April 18, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. IAMWMD

It's time to join ranks Obama and Clinton supporters and take this country back from those out of touch Republicans.

Let Bush and McCain hire a private militia to fight in Iraq for a hundred years. After all they have wasted enough of our tax dollars and given the rest to their elitist friends.

Veterans for Obama 08

April 18, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. Grif

Hillary needs to form her own independent Party. "All Women".. And fight for Womens Rights.. She's be good at that...

April 18, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Helena, California

Wow! The news just keeps getting better & better! We're going to need a bigger train!

OBAMA 08!

April 18, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  14. Proud American!

Bill, Covington,
    With you 100%, I was born in Tulsa, live in TX now.

Delegate in TX!
    Hillary '08!

April 18, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  15. J T

well of course people will know that these endorsers will mean nothing to hillary, she's such a joke. EVERYBODIES EVACUATING AND GETTING ON THE OBAMA FREIGHT TRAIN BECAUSE THE OBAMA TIDAL WAVE IS COMING, only the clintons will be denied entry

April 18, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. Janet

I was willing all along to vote for whomever won the nomination, whether it be Hillary or Obama. The shear arrogance of Mr. Obama has been such a turn off for me that, I just won't vote at all if that man wins. It' pretty suprising just how many of my customers feel like I do. Maybe Mr. Obama should try being just a little humble, and to act like an adult, instead of giving the "finger " when speaking about Mrs. Clinton. I thought maybe I just mistook his not so nice gesture, but after watching that video over and over again, and watching the reaction from the audience, there is no doubt in my mind that he did exactly what I thought he did. He's not much of a "uniter" at least in my eyes.

April 18, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  17. Merga Hunde

Thanks guys, this great effort to end the battle between the candidates and create pathways to unite our party. Please others do the same thing so we can end the battle before it was too late.

April 18, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  18. Michelle

Dems Unite – Obama 08 Let's begin working together now, not tomorrow.

April 18, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  19. OUR USA!

DON'T WORRY, OBAMA WILL BE GIVING YOU THE MIDDLE FINGER TOO AS SOON AS HE IS DONE WITH YOU!

April 18, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  20. JRay

I live in PA and I feel that Clinton should stay in the race until it is apparent that she is done!! I support Obama and to me Hillary is already done. The Clinton's don't care about America or you or me. They will BURN the village to win the war and that is what they are doing. If she would stick to the issues instead of negative adds she might not have a 54% untrustworthy rating among Americans. We have someone that is untrustworthy and negative why do we want for mor years of someone just like that? Obama for you and your Mama

April 18, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. PCS / North Carolina

Phil G. , New York wrote April 18th, 2008 4:06 pm ET

"c'mon everyone relax!! We all like both these candidates and we should respect the endorsement of all super delegates. I would support Clinton in a heartbeat if she wins but i will surely support OBAMA."

You are absolutly right. Stop this nonsense. "If Hillary doesn't get the nomination, I am voting for Mc Cain". this is worse than kids in an elementary school. THINK LIKE ADULTS. We have got brains to think, do not get overpowered by emotions and loose the country to the Republicans again. Whoever eins the nomination, vote for Hillary ar Obama.

April 18, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |