April 18th, 2008

McCain to release his taxes, but not Cindy's

Cindy McCain's worth is estimated to be over $100 million. The fortune is not in Sen. John McCain's name.

(CNN) - John McCain and wife Cindy do not file joint tax returns, and the campaign said Friday they will not release her 2006 and 2007 tax returns along with the candidate's.

The campaign argues that the two keep their finances separate, and that she has privacy concerns for her kids.

The Obamas and the Clintons both file taxes jointly.

Some of Cindy McCain's financial statements have been released as part of regular Senate disclosures.

The McCain campaign notes John Kerry's wife, Teresa Heinz, did not release her complete tax returns during the 2004 campaign.

An heiress to her father's stake in Hensley & Co. of Phoenix, Cindy McCain's worth has been estimated to be around $100 million.

Related: Wife's beer fortune gives McCain access to millions

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Steve

For an older woman Cindy is hot. She must have been a dime back in the day!

McCAIN/ROMNEY '08

April 18, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  2. BobInNYC

No need for Mrs McCain's return. If they filed seperately it is none of our business.

April 18, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. KYJurisDoctor

By NOT releasing his wife's income, when the other candidates released their spouse's incomes, it looks like John McCain has something to HIDE!

April 18, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  4. J. Sully, New York

uGH. If I have to live four more years through a McSame presidency and look at his cooky cutter Barbie doll wife, I don't know what I"ll do.

April 18, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. Scott Meyer

McCain is taking the same position that Kerry's wife took in 2004. Inevitably, I think she'll have to disclose her returns because of the heat they'll get.

Untrained eyes looking at the returns will think something is fishy. Keep in mind, they reside in a AZ, a community property state, one of eight or so such states. They are like parallel universes in that all wages and salaries are treated as one-half earned by each spouse. When you look at his actual returns, he shows half of his senator's and half of her company salary. She's making about $432K (for 2007).

Now, depending on the state, investment income may or may not be considered community property. Looking at the return, it's hard to say.

She has an interest in a profitable closely held business. That said, I'll bet that she's been carving up her interest among trusts for the benefit of their kids and that, frankly, ain't anyone's business but that family's.

April 18, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  6. DJ, LA, CA

Why not Cindy's? Pre-nup agreement or not, it still needs to be made available.

April 18, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. MP-Pennsylvania

I am sick of McClintons.. They give charity to them selves. McCain gave $105,467 to their family foundation and got tax deduction.

I did my charitable contribution better than McClintons. No wonder they are out of touch with us.

April 18, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  8. Harvey in Va

pretty smart move

April 18, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  9. Bill

New rule: If you're collecting Social Security then you're too old to be PRESIDENT!

April 18, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  10. Ann Hollingworth

Mrs. McCain has a vast fortune. She is wealthy thanks to her father's distribution company and strong ties to beer giant Anheuser Busch. If this isn't big money behind McCain then I don't know what is. And excuse me, but with a wealthy wife, you can finance anything...everytime I see McCain all I can think of is: "have another Bud" as his campaign slogan.

April 18, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. Michael

Okay so we have it on McCains word that they keep their finances completely separate...riiiiigggghhhtttt I'll file that right alongside Hillary's account of landing under sniper fire.

Well at least we can be pretty sure that this will be the last time McCain will be running.

April 18, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  12. Tn

clintons give charities 10 % and 90 % giving away to OWN their foundation WHAT A JOKES....just like I giving my money to my own wife

April 18, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. Ben

How can one be a president when the potential first lady has lots to hide!!

April 18, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |