April 18th, 2008

Two polls show two different stories

(CNN) – Where do Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama stand among Democrats nation-wide? It depends on the poll.

In a just released Newsweek survey, Obama has opened up a 19 point lead over Clinton nationally, 54 to 35 percent. But in Friday's daily Gallup tracking poll, the two Democrats are only separated by 3 percentage points.

In a CNN average of those two surveys as well as ones recently released by ABC News/Washington Post and Reuters/Zogby, Obama holds an 11 point lead over Clinton, 51 percent to 40 percent.

Filed under: Polls
  1. Raphael

Obama can bring the country together. Clinton could lose Pennsylvania if Obama keeps moving forward.
    I hope Obama agrees to debate her again, but the format of the debate should be changed. Only substantive issues should be discussed. I don't want to hear about sniper fire, flag lapels, or Reverend Wright. I would like to know what the candidates stand for.
    However, I am hoping that Obama will wrap this up. He is the voice of a new generation. If superdelegates sitting in their ivory tower offices like Clinton better, then the Democratic Party will go down the drain.
    It already looks bad when the Democratic Party has less faith in the candidate who is leading by well over 100 superdelegates. I wonder if the frontrunner has ever had fewer superdelegates than the losing candidate, especially by such a biased margin. That's Democratic? It looks like the Communist party to me.

April 18, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  2. Dancing on the head of a pin

Barack stirs up the young vote because it is there future. Present policy will effect the youth. My children and my grandchildren will inherit a multiple trillion dollar debt, that is owed to people who are making lead tainted toys. We don't stop it, because they hold the note on our economy. That is why they are so engaged. They are not like the boomers who just wanted to burn bras and smoke pot. These young people are in tune and engaged. This is wonderful. With the age of the internet, these young people have done their research. They seen the constant barrage of bagage from the Clinton. No more.

Shame on you for trying to say that our young people are non-experienced. These young people have witnessed the most change in several centuries. They care, and they are engaged and that's a good thing.

April 18, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  3. Darlene in AR

It won't matter if Obama wins the nomination if he doesn't win in November. Clinton supporters won't vote for him. Even though I'm Hillary's supporter, a few months ago I would have voted for Obama if he won the nomination. Now, there's no way in hell I'd vote for him. I just won't vote. His supporters are the most hateful and disrespectful on the web, and I think they mirror Obama's attitude. THIS IS IMPORTANT PEOPLE! PLEASE GROW UP! He's not running for frat house president!

April 18, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  4. Steve

I am willing to bet that before the presidential things started, more people had not even heard of Obama. It is like the sheep following the sheep. Obama is not worth the energy that the media wastes on Obama. I have been keeping track of those candidates and I still do not know what Obama has done as Senitor for the U.S.A.
    At least when a Clinton was in office, the defficate was not in the negative, like it is now. Hillary for President.

April 18, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  5. sylvia

I, along with a lot of others, can only pray to God that Hillary wins, else we will have another 4 years of Repubs in the White House. I don't think Obama could ever beat McCain as Obama is so young and
    not ready for such a big job. I only wish he had waited till 2012 so we could have had more years as Dems in the White House. I am afraid he has ruined our chanches of getting there...oh well, another 4 years of a mess for all of us.....bad timing is what I call it.....and probable a lot of big behind the scenes deals to keep a women out of the race....

April 18, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  6. Dee

Be careful Democrats it is a lot of Republicans pretending to be either; Hillary or Obama supporters to make you mad. Remember the Republicans wants to get back into the White House!!

April 18, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  7. Michelle, Indiana

Welcome aboard the winning team Cheryl for HiLlARy! Now, can you do something about that name LOL

April 18, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  8. Fred

People are seeing Hillarys true colors. Stick a fork in her she is done.

April 18, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  9. Robert M.

We are at a time of unique challenges on all fronts - both demestic and international - and presented with three competent leaders in Sen. Clinton, Sen. McCain, Sen. Obama.

Having said that, Obama is head and shoulders above both Clinton and McCain in setting the tone of our political discourse that is positive and non-destructive - and the only approach for us to move forward for a collective prosperity and unity and regain America's respect and standing internationally.

The other glaring option infront is to fall further into the abyss of political stalemates and divisiveness of what we saw in Bush-Clinton. The choice is no brainer. Obama gets my vote. No wonder he is leading the polls.

April 18, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  10. jim in pennsylvania

hilarys proposals are some of the most insane i have ever seen
    none of then would ever come up for a vote in the senate let alone go to the house for approval
    i was a strong supporter for her but after all the mud slinging from her and her lousy campaign i will now be for someone who just keeps pegging along with the real issues.
    obama for pennsylvania thats for sure

April 18, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. Leila

I am a Democrat who has no intention of voting for BHObama, no matter who he runs against or who he chooses as a running mate. I do not trust him, do not think he can lead this country into anything but trouble, and I actually fear what will happen to our country if he should be elected. He is not prepared for the presidency.

Democrat against Obama

April 18, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  12. Mel

Let the people vote. Only the fool and the dead cannot change their minds
    No one is forever locked into a position. Everyone is free to think through
    the facts, as much as they are obvious, and do what is best for the
    Nation, because we are in this together and all of us will be affected by the outcome. It is better to err on the side of integrity and honesty even if we do not like what is being said. If we do not trust Senator Clinton, why
    would we elect her? Are we not tired of being lied to over and over again by the present administration? It is foolish to think that after the election
    the person's character will improve.

April 18, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  13. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

After reading all the blogs, I think Obama will win. Honestly. Obama is more civil. What can I say?

April 18, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. HILL YEAH

these polls mean nothing TExas and ohio proved that...not to mention people in alaska can put their view in but on TUES. only PA. will come out for my girl. WOO HOO RISE hillary rise

April 18, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  15. Cowboy Jack

National polls DONT MATTER..... we chose our presidents state-by-state....

Obama can be up 19 points in a national poll, but if he loses PA and OH, he can't win the election!

April 18, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  16. John Zeger

It's much more meaningful to see how Obama and Clinton each do against John McCain. In both the Gallop and Newsweek polls there is hardly any difference. In the end, the candidate who stands the best chance of beating McCain should get the nomination.

April 18, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  17. Margo

What a friend. He only wanted something for himself. He couldn't hide it any longer. What a fake. He doesn't know what he is losing. Hillary is just too good a person. SHe is not wishy washy.She has a real plan. She knows how to debate, how to stand tall, and move on, and that's a victory.!

April 18, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  18. Kenneth M.

In a statement to The Huffington Post, MoveOn's Executive Director Eli Pariser reacted strongly to Clinton's remarks: "Senator Clinton has her facts wrong again. MoveOn never opposed the war in Afghanistan, and we set the record straight years ago when Karl Rove made the same claim.

April 18, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  19. An American in Canada

ONE THING THIS DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY HAS TAUGHT ALL AMERICANS IS THAT POLLS CAN NOT BE TRUSTED, THAT WE CAN NOT TRUST THE TV, RADIO AND PAPER MEDIA TO REPORT THE TRUE REALITY OF ANYTHING ANY MORE.

NOT THAT WE WERE NOT ALREADY SUSPICIOUS AND DUBIOUS ABOUT THE FIFTH ESTATE.

BUT WE HAVE REACH A STATE WITHIN, IF WE HEAR "THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING" WE ALL KNOW WHAT WE WILL THINK..

AND WHEN YOU SEE OBAMA ON YOUTUBE GIVING HILLARY THE FINGER IN ONE OF HIS SPEECHES YOU KNOW WE HAVE DECLINED TO THE GUTTER MENTALITY, NOT ONLY THE LOWLIEST BUT TO THE MOST PRESTIGIOUS LEVEL OF SOCIETY.

IMAGINE A PERSON RUNNING FOR THE PRESIDENCY DEMONSTRATING SUCH GUTTER GESTURES...
    SHAME ON YOU OBAMA, I GUESS THAT COMES FROM TO MUCH JAY Z INFLUENCE/.

April 18, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  20. Michael, North Carolina

Reguardless of what the polls say. Sen. Clinton has a 58% negativity rating with the American people. With a negative rating that high it would almost be impossible for her to win the White House.
    The best thing Sen. Clinton could do is after June 3 if she is behind in pledged delegates, popular vote, and number of states won, then she needs to get out of the race, as one of her own supports said recently.
    By her trying to stay in and prove a point is only going to hurt the Democratic party in the fall ,and make things easier for John McCain. So I tell the American people to unite behind a born leader, and his name is BARACK OBAMA.

YES WE CAN
    OBAMA/CASEY '08

April 18, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  21. Obama mama, Grayslake IL

I totally agree with the people supporting Sen. Obama. I want to trust my president, I do not want to doubt the stuff coming out of my president. Billary has a problem of not telling the truth, she lies and smooth the lie with another lie. So many times pounding on her foreign experience which she never had.

I am angry with Sen. Clinton because she signed for Iraq War which showed her a poor judgement when things are not going her she does not find her voice, she cries, she snaps like someone who has bipolar problem. Please PA end this drama now once and for all
    $110million compare to $4million, who is there for you?

April 18, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  22. alisea

It makes me laugh, a person is NOT young at 46 years of age. A person is mature, and has enough experience of life itself to know what it is all about. Age does not make a person knowledegable, life and education do. I cannot vote myself, not being a citizen, but polls and else are just games. Have you any of you played with the delegate counter? It does not take a genius to see who has won already... It is unavoidable. And it doesn't matter that much what people write either, at the end of the day, will democrats really vote McCain? It would be saddening.

April 18, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  23. jp/michigan

I don't believe in polls , look what happened in New Hampshire. If the media continuously talked negative about me , I guess, I too would have high negative readings. People perceive what they hear from reporters to be the truth, how sad that most reporters put in their own spin on things, instead of stating the facts or answers to the questions.

April 18, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  24. Robert Macdonald

At this point I don't really care. I'm tired of our whole nation being put on hold while endless political campaigns go on and on. And after January 20, 2009 whoever is sworn in as president will begin running for re-election and it will be the same old Washington story. It's time for a new system of sending people to our nation's capitol.

April 18, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  25. MV

- Polls are inaccurate, the majority of Clinton supporters are:
    – blue collars
    – intimidated by Obama supporters
    – many people dont even have telephone
    – only shop at walmart, not the shopping malls
    – .... Statistis doesnot LIE, but statistician DOES!
    – Obama did not prove to many blue collars that he is the person for the job. Look at George W in 200 elections. Many voters did not know about him. They beleived that he is going to CHANGE WASHINGTON, HE DID, BUT BOT IN THE DIRECTION VOTERS WANTED! VOTERS GETTING SMARTER THIS TIME! and I think the SMARTERS will out do the "NOT SMARTERS"!

April 18, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |