April 19th, 2008

Clinton camp: Obama was a 'hypocrite from day one'

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton’s campaign accused surrogates for Barack Obama of resurrecting her controversial comments over Bosnian sniper fire Saturday.

"One of the inherent duties of the president of the United States is to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Memorial Day,” said Gen. Walter Stewart on an Obama campaign conference call on the issue of Bosnia - remarks circulated by the Clinton campaign Saturday afternoon.

“Now we can assume, and let's keep in mind that Senator Clinton has said she was under sniper fire, or she joked about, which to me was the cruelest part of all this, she joked about it with Jay Leno. … Imagine the lack of moral authority she has now to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Memorial Day.”

Clinton had faced criticism for claiming that her plane landed under sniper fire during a trip to Bosnia she made as First Lady.

The Clinton campaign pointed to Obama’s statement at Wednesday night’s debate that his campaign only commented on the Bosnia incident when asked. "When it comes to negative campaign tactics, Senator Obama has been a hypocrite from day one, decrying attack politics from one side of his mouth while he and his campaign wage a character assassination effort from the other,” said Clinton spokesman Phil Singer. “The juxtaposition of Senator Obama’s comments in the debate and the remarks made on his campaign conference call this afternoon prove the point."

1. Steve

She, Bill and her campaign have attacked Obama every step of the way! They are they hypocrites. To quote them, if you cannot stand the heat, leave the kitchen. Unbelieveable. As a loyal democrat I have said I would vote for whoever is the nominee. At first I didn't know whether I would support Obama or Clinton, my educated choice became for Obama. I am not sure now if I'll even vote, I do not think Clinton would be any better for the country than McCain. I cannot bring myself to vote for McCain, and that is beginning to be feeling about Clinton. Her campaign is bringing down the party and she is to self-righteous (or elitist) to even care. To think I have Clinton's books in my house and was once a fan, and have even defended them. Fools me once, shame on you; fools me twice, shame on me. I'm shocked.

April 19, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  2. Ken Austin, TX

The sad thing is, even if Obama is a hypocrite, I still like him more than Hillary. That should tell you something.

April 19, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  3. Suzie Applebee

Who's WHINING now!? Whaaa Whaaa Whaaa! Hillary, you're a disgustingly awful excuse for a candidate. & I'm far from the only one who thinks so! You should make a gust appearance on DESPERATE Housewives or something. Athough we know you look down on women who bake cookies–a quite elitist attitude I might add–you certainly do qualify as DESPERATE!

OBAMA '08

April 19, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  4. ABG

I have followed Barach Obama's attacking, sarcastic comments toward his opponent from Day 1.

I am happy his true character is finally being exposed for the voters to see.

Barach, just because you say you are playing nice does not mean that is reality. Lest we forget the "dump truck" comment in February.

This is all about character. Given your latest actions and words, we all have to wonder who you really are, your hopeful words or your demeaning actions!

April 19, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  5. Harley Boaz Alabama

What is funny is the media hasn't called Obama out on his attacks once. They just keep letting his campaign send them emails where they can attack Hillary while saying that Obama is "above it all" That is crap. Obama's campaign has called Hillary everything from a "racist" to a "liar" Is this the politics of Hope? I think this is the politics of media deception

April 19, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  6. grandma

I am so tired of this cry baby.So she misspoke about Bosnia. Obama has lied so many times I can't count them all. and still the media has turned thier head. This has been a one sided campain from the start. And what about N.A.F.T.A. when he told Canada his talks on N.A.F.T.A. was political rhetoric. Does that sound like someone that cares about American jobs? What about his wife saying they could hardly afford dance lessons for thier girls and they are just now are able to pay off thier student loans. This comming from someone whos taxes showed they made over 4 milliom last year. And there are so many lies they both have told. It makes me sick. And yes I can see Hillary putting flower on the grave of the unknown soldier. She at least went to Iraq on two occasions with John McCain to talk to our troops and to liston to thier problems. She also visited veterian hospitals to talk to the veteran about thier insurance and what they would like to have done. This is more then Obama has done. He just wants to critize everyone on thier efforts then stand back and say I want a clean campaign. Bull. I will never vote for this liar, never. Grandma (age 45)

April 19, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. K in Seattle

This is what the Clinton campaign has come down to–name calling and finger pointing.

C'mon Pennsylvania–end this thing!

April 19, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  8. john williams san diego, ca.

Hillary has never she a tear for the military war victims or any of the firefighters from 911. OK..a real tear..

April 19, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  9. henriettap

Hillary Clinton can not call anyone a hypocrit it is true that she lied about her trip to Bosnia being under fire and to keep telling it on the campaign trail several times as if it really happened that way.Maybe she was telling it so many times not only to make herself believe it but to convince everyone that she might be telling the truth for once.Hillary Clinton is wishy washy a flip flop a bad actress and does't show good judgement.Maybe if she could jog her memory she would recall all of her and Bills exploitations while they were in the White House.Now the reason she is complaining is because when someone tells the truth about her it hurts.And then she cries like a baby.

April 19, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  10. Dave

If Clinton braved sniper fire in Bosnia, I imagine she can handle this.

April 19, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  11. Bitter American

I can't blame Obama for using some negative tactics now after all the negative tactics applied on him by the Clinton campaign. And to all our disappointment, some of the negative campaigning did work for Clinton. So,Clinton campaign should just shut up.

April 19, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  12. Junebug

obama is a hypocrite for sure. if you vote for him you will have buyers remorse.

Hillary ...........................08.............................................

April 19, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  13. Goody - Oregon for Hillary

The Clinton campaign is right about one thing, Obama has been talking out of both sides of his mouth since the race started!

George Bush couldn't hold a candle to Obama in the arrogance department.

GO HILLARY!

April 19, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  14. Misty

Senator Clinton is soooooooooooooooo good at twisting contorting and taking words out of contest. I give her a gold medal. She has hammered on Senator Obama consistently on issues that are trivial and silly. She should start forming a committee for running for Governor of NewYork- that is their fall back plan if she loses the presidential nomination. She is NOT going to Be the Democrat Nominee.

Please Oh! Please let us Americans be- We want to not see her face on TV anymore. I cannot take it anymore.

Also CNN - Enough of the Pope thing!!!! You tend to overdo everything.

April 19, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  15. jeannie N.C.

Hipocarcy at it's best.. Obama is good at lying to the american people to make himself look good. And behind the scenes he is sending out false propaganda against Hillary... He thinks he is God, or at the least, a prophet.. The biggest scam I have ever seen.....

April 19, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  16. soner

it is amazing to hear after wednesday night debate between Hillary and obama how some networks including cnn arguing that the Abc anchors do not ask obama about the issues that will affect people's lives. tell me how many times that cnn best political team on television asks questions will affect our lives in their blogs than obama versus clinton in order to show one is devil or evil, and the other one is angel or messiah. to illustrate my comments, just take a look to many comments that post in your blogs. who are these people? i do not care whom they support, but they have to realize blast either obama or clinton will not take us anywhere.as a result, i urge cnn bloggers to ask question about the real issues that we can have a real discussion. i hope this is not too much to ask.

April 19, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  17. Hank in PA

OBAMA you reak –

How many times have you been to Bosnia?? Did you embark on any somewhat dangerous international missions???

NAHH

You ain't much more than a bunch of signs littering our highways.

CHANGE??????? HUH???????????????????????????

DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY MAN

OBAMA

April 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  18. Dana

Wow strong comments coming from someone who is doing the same thing. And didn't McCain come out and say the same thing today? I wish she could just have an original thought. And furthermore, didn't her husband Bill just bring this up a week ago or so? For misspeaking she is sure getting upset about it.

April 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  19. yak

He's weak. If he becomes the runner, the Republicans will eat him alive. He couldnt even have a good debate with Senator Clinton this week. No experience, and everything he says are general answers. No specific plans, No future. A rookie that has a luck on his side.

April 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  20. California Voter

Looks like Clinton has a point here. Obama likes to play the part of taking the high road while all his dirty work is done by his surrogates or his campaign staff. By the way, he has never told a straight story regarding Rev. Wright. Sitting in his church for 20 years and never hearing any inflammatory remarks . . well, maybe on second thought he is telling the truth. Maybe, Wright's remarks are not really inflammatory for him because he feels the same as he does.

April 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  21. Fernando

Hillary just stop it already....

I"m so Sick of your complaining and whining throughout this Campaign and then turning it around and blaming others for your own situations.

STOP!!! Its so sickening...... Really.

April 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  22. A.M.

Hypocrite! Who has been been hypocrite? No one but 'Hilary Clinton' It is so obvious yet her supporters do not see this at all. For NAFTA while being the first lady, against NAFTA while compaiging in Ohio and now in Pennsylvania. She talks from all side of her mouth.

Come on - give us a break!

A.M.
    Houston, Texas

April 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  23. Becky

I keep trying to tell you all that Hillary is 10 times more unelectable than Barack is with mistakes that she made within the last few months piled on top of all her baggage....How do you think that John McCain who REALLY experienced sniper fire is going to treat this story?

Bottom line is that she got us into this war...She could have had some cajones and stood up to Bush but she was too worried about rockin the boat and ruining her chance to be president then fighting to do the right thing....SHE DIDNT EVEN READ THE BRIEF!!!! What kinda experience is this? The kind that is pulling the wool over her supporters eyes just like George Bush did to his supporters!!!!

April 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  24. Leisa

I gotta say...I am a HUGE Obama fan and I really do not like Hillary's hypocrital ways but when I look at McCain, she is an angel. He flip-flops so much. He says he is not going to do anything about the economy and everyone laughs at him so he gave it another shot and decides; oh...you dont like that? Well, lets try this one. Come on demoocrats....no matter who wins...YOU CANNOT LET THAT MAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 19, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  25. Don

It's very sad to see how the Clintons has bring their name, image, respect and dignity down here at home and abroad in quest of becoming the first female president. These has done much damage than that of Lewinsky, can they repair the damage? I don't know!

April 19, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |