April 19th, 2008

Clinton, Obama campaign battle over health care attack ads

, ,
New Obama ad takes aim at Clinton over health care.
New Obama ad takes aim at Clinton over health care.

YORK, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama’s campaign battled Saturday over television attack ads on the issue of health care.

Obama launched an ad in Pennsylvania Saturday criticizing Clinton’s universal health care plan.

“I just heard that my opponent has put up an ad attacking my health care plan, which is kind of curious, because my plan covers everybody, and his leaves out 15 million people, leaves them out in the cold,” Clinton told an outdoor audience here.

The Obama campaign responded to the New York senator’s criticism by pointing to an ad produced by a pro-Clinton 527 that makes the same claims about his health care plan as she does.

Obama’s ad, titled “Afford,” re-hashes critiques he has made against Clinton’s plan since last year, mainly that her plan forces people to buy health care even if they can’t afford to do so. The ad also suggests Clinton will garnish wages to pay for the plan.

“Instead of attacking the problem, he chose to attack my solution. I don’t think that we can just make speech about this,” Clinton continued. “We have to have a plan that we can actually implement that will provide quality affordable health care. That’s what I’ve been fighting for 15 years and that’s what I will fight for as your president.”

The Obama campaign circulated a script of an ad sponsored by the American Leadership Project. “Hillary Clinton’s healthcare plan would help every American get affordable, quality healthcare. Barack Obama’s plan would leave as many as 15 million Americans uncovered…”

“So you would either be one of the millions without coverage, or you’ll keep paying more to provide emergency healthcare for the millions of uninsured. Call Barack Obama and tell him to support healthcare for all Americans,” says the announcer in the 30-second spot.

“Given that they have been engaging in a self-professed 'kitchen sink' strategy that Senator Clinton describes as 'the fun part,' their charges today are laughable,” said Obama adviser Hari Sevugan. “While they continue to employ the say-and-do-anything tactics of the past, Senator Obama is going to focus on the issues that are affecting the American people.”

1. Vig

Hillary knows health care. Obama pretends he knows health care. Did he try & help reform the health care system the way Hillary did years ago even though it didn't come to fruition. Hillary is a doer, Obama is a talker.

April 19, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  2. Tom

AMEN

Mr. Obama – if you can't take the heat of doing what you SAY you would do , i.e. positive solutions, then get out of the pulpit.

April 19, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  3. Ridgeway

Everything is paid for by the haves. Here's to the Dems. They love to punish success. The solution is Fair Tax. Kill social security and let everyone pay as they go.

April 19, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  4. georgy

Obama is a hypocrite. Go Hillary.

April 19, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  5. maya

This is the primary reason why I am disgusted with Obama- of all of the things to attack Hillary on- why Health Care? He has been playing out of the GOP Handbook from the beginning.

April 19, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  6. North Carolina

As for the "issues that are affecting the American people" would that include letting everyone's vote count ? I didn't think so.

April 19, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. Jesse

~~

Clinton should just quit now for everyones sake!

When Clinton former friends are backing Obama it says a ton!

If people the Clintons have known for 20 years are saying that they have more faith in Obama, a guy they've only known for 1 year …

Well it means that they know a hell of a lot more then we do about the Clintons

April 19, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  8. merle 7

YOUR PLAN WAS TRIED AND DID NOT WORK,AND IS LESS LIKELY TO WORK THIS TIME.IT IS TIME TO TRY SOMETHING ELSE HILLARY.

April 19, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  9. Shirley

I agree with Senator Obama on Health care. I don't want the government dipping into my pay check to pay for health insurance. If it is affordable, most people will purchase it. This should be a personal decision, not a government mandate. We have enough government interference in our personal lives already.

April 19, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  10. La Bomb ba

Obama addicted to nicotene patch and gum avoiding smoking now he is a canidate.
    Clinton craves for Organic Vegies and Health Food. Clinton been advocating and creating health delivery programs.
    Obama no accomplishment but big talk and lots of promices he is willing to break.

April 19, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  11. Proud to be a Clinton Democrat

I am a die hard Hillary Clinton supporter and I will never vote for Obama. I agree with Hillary about the MOVEON.com comment. The democratic caucases were tampered with. Hillary Clinton is a fighter. She fought for us as first lady and she will fight for us a president of the united states. Obama is a liar and I don't trust. I am an African Amereican that will vote for McCain if Obama is the nominiee.

April 19, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  12. Invisionit

"I may not be perfect but I will always tell you what I think, and I will always tell you where I stand," What is OBAMA talking about, with the Illinois legislator he was afraid to vote and let people know where he stood on most issues. He voted 'present' essentially "no comment" 130 times. More than any other Senator. This way he did not offend anyone and could not make quote "change" but now he does promise change if he gets elected in a new office. Lood at his past and see how he stays on the fence. We need a leader not a talker.

April 19, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  13. Lee

The Clintons had eight years to get a health care plan through, and they simply couldn't do it. Hillary Clinton as president would escalate acrimony in congress, and nothing would get done again.

It's time to let someone new, like Obama, work on solving this problem.

April 19, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  14. Grif

Tough little Monster! Hillary. I just love to see her, take on the Men Folk.. Must be one "Hell of a Lot" of her Dad, in Hillary..

April 19, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  15. Lucy

Hmmm....I am always wondering – when health care is mandated where do the cost controls come in? We should be asking what industry lobby is donating to the Clinton campaign especially health insurance carriers of which the government, individuals, corporate America, etc will be paying for...I feel it is more attractive to make health care "affordable" for all through cost reductions as proposed by Obama.

P.S. where can we find the list of donors to the Clinton campaign?

April 19, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  16. gerry

Explaining differences between policy is not negative advertising. Hillary did state if people didnt pay, she garnish their wages, so why is she wining abot the ad?

Just duck Hillary, there's more incoming sniper fire from Moveon.org?

April 19, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  17. Tee

Hillary,you didn't get it done before, because of your back room dealings. You won't get it done now. The insurance companies own you.

April 19, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  18. Tubby The Tuba

Clinton's health care plan will take money out of the pocket of the poor who can not afford the loss in pay. With all the problems we have today, the last thing anyone needs is to be coerced (forced) to pay for anything they can not budget. Obama's health care is cheaper and allows for exceptions, whereas Hillary's does not. It is a fairer plan.

April 19, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  19. John Futrell

What good is Hillary's plan? She has already shown she doesn't have the political skill to get it through Congress. Who needs that kind of experience.

April 19, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  20. Bill

Obama also employs the say and do anything policies of the past, he just has his underlings do it for him. This guy is from the Chicago political machine and has the audacity to act like he is the new kind of politician that never goes negative or chums with old school politicos like Kennedy or Kerry. I can't believe people can't see through this man's hypocrisy or the fact that he lied about his previous position on guns during the last debate.

April 19, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  21. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

I have health insurance, but I am glad no one FORCES me to have it. Thats what a mandate is.

What, everyone thinks Clinton means she will madate coverage or you will get a "Shame on you" and wagging finger?? Not sure if she means to garnish our wages, but I dont like when government starts to meddle in my life. Its bad enough they take taxes for their current pork, this is just an excuse to do more of it.

April 19, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  22. Alice

we all know how effective Hillary Clinton is at getting her healthcare proposals implemented ...

April 19, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  23. Sophia Beck

Her Universal plan failed once before-there are no changes to it-Why would we think it would succeed now? Think about that-It has some very unrealistics goals. For one, if the government takes full control of Health Care, all of us will be waiting longer to get treatment in a hospital or doctor. The ratio of patient/doctor will no longer exist. Doctors will refuse to participate as well-This is not a cut an dry proposition. There are so many obstacles to look at: Demographics, economic, employment and needs-We have to stop kidding ourselves that Universal Health care is a quick fix. Speak to your doctor or your employer about the what if? You will find there answers interesting.

April 19, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  24. IN voter

The only thing Hillary inspires me to do is change channels immediately upon her appearance.

There was a time when I thought there may be a bit of substance within her but she has done all that is necessary to win a oneway ticket to the cloak room.

April 19, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  25. Danny

Hillary I agree with your health care. Obama just want to copy but he can't
    stay where you are we know your husband the past so you might do same thing to Americans. More "JAB" then make big punch knock him out now this guy dishonest not qualify for President. The people support
    him some are stupid and some Sen. that's support him is not for real they just want to play politic only, they said they like him but in the heard they don't like him at all.

April 19, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |