April 19th, 2008

McCain camp says Hamas wants Obama

The McCain campaign says he would be tougher on Hamas.
The McCain campaign says he would be tougher on Hamas.

(CNN) - John McCain’s campaign sent supporters a fundraising e-mail Friday that claims Hamas approves of Democrat Barack Obama’s foreign policy vision, and is hoping for his victory this fall.

“Barack Obama's foreign policy plans have even won him praise from Hamas leaders,” writes McCain deputy campaign manager Christian Ferry. “Ahmed Yousef, chief political adviser to the Hamas Prime Minister said, ‘We like Mr. Obama and we hope he will win the election. He has a vision to change America.’”

The McCain fundraising e-mail says Obama’s stands have earned him “kind words” from Hamas. “John McCain's foreign policy provides a stark contrast to the policies of Barack Obama,” writes Ferry. “While Senator Obama would surrender in Iraq and hold talks with the Iranian regime, John McCain will never surrender in the struggle with Islamic extremists. Please join our campaign today by making a generous donation of $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000 or $2,300.”

In response to earlier comments by McCain over Obama’s position on former President Jimmy Carter’s meeting with Hamas – when the Arizona senator said that “Senator Obama does not have the experience to make the right judgment as to how to deal with terrorist organizations, obviously” and that he approved of the dialogue – the Obama campaign said that the Democratic presidential hopeful did not condone the former president’s decision.

Obama supporter Rep. Robert Wexler responded to the McCain fundraising e-mail Friday. "John McCain likes to talk about the civil campaign he plans to run, and yet today he has engaged in a shameful, divisive, and cynical kind of politics that he pretends to reject - all in reckless pursuit of campaign dollars," said Wexler, calling the message "empty tough talk and divisive fear mongering."

"We call on Senator McCain to reject this embarrassing and outrageous tone, and to join with Barack Obama in calling for an America that is united in its determination to isolate Hamas and support our ally Israel," he said.

UPDATE: EDITED to reflect that the World Net Daily/WABC exclusive interview has since been widely distributed through other news outlets.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. No Fear

So, McCain doesn't want to be called a 'war mongerer', how about 'fear mongerer', because that seems to be what the Republican Party does – play up to the nations fears.

April 19, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. Paul E.

A lot people have over looked the fact, or failed table an issue that whould explain a major part of makes John McCain so hawkish on war. As disabled Viet Nam combat veteran [ myself ], I can truly see, and to my dismay regonize all the systems of Post Tramic Stress Disorder. John McCain has a cronic and sev ere case of that disorder. The only difference between him and myself is that I got the help I needed to deal with the deamons PTSD can manifest. His unwillingness to comprise is a sure sign of it. His bitterness and obsession if going to war is his only outlet for releasing the built up rage and anger that dwells within him, and the fact that he has never adressed this publicly is an incator of his dedial to his own condition. John McCain has more baggage than you could possibly imagin. Until he adresses his own personal downfalls I doubt he would be any good for our country's.

April 19, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. Helena, CA

Dear CNN Moderator,
    Why is this still at the top of the Political Ticker? It's been here since yesterday. Could you please move on to something new?
    Thank you.

April 19, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  4. Jerry - Highland Park, TX

Come on people, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND OBAMA IS A TERRIST!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE anybody that is not black would vote for this guy.

Huckabee '08

April 19, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. IndependentMinded

And the war mongering continues! Withdrawing troops from Iraq does not mean surrendering... Millions of Iraqi and thousands of American lives wasted does not mean victory.

April 19, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  6. Retired Navy Veteran

McCain.

This man is a lying fraud, How in the Hell can you condem the act of a fomer President of the United States. John McCain is a ""Old Man." who need to find himself. I did not want to drop to his level

I am saying now game on. TAPS. It's time to be corrcted.

April 19, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  7. Disinfranchised in Florida

Senator McCain is an honorable patriot. As a person who has served his country honorably, I have the audacity to hope that McCain will help vett Senator Obama before the convention so that Democrats can see that it could be that the change that Obama seeks is not change that this country could withstand. I am afraid of Senator Obama's change. The DNC has practically annointed him the candidate and that also makes me afraid.

I am very afraid.

April 19, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  8. Taposh, Middle East

Sustained Mid-East peace is a key issue to combat possible global recession. Senetor John McCaine should put light on that.

April 19, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  9. Suzanne in Costa Rica

HELLO!!!

Anyone with any sense on this planet likes Obama!

People can see he is a natural diplomat who perhaps can restore our reputation internationally, which has been severely damaged by the Bush administration, which has made us more, not less, vulnerable to terrorism because of the "dumb" war (occupation) in Irak.

Enough is enough already.

Time for a new chapter in American history and a declaration of independence from out-of-date thinking.

Obama is the best choice in November. No doubt about it.

April 19, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  10. Jeff lorton VA

Fear tactics? Geesh is that the best they got?

April 19, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  11. Brennan - Seattle, WA

This is just basic Fear Mongering tactics and we can expect this from the Republicans, but I hope Americans are not this ignorant.

April 19, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. Steven, Chicago

I always make the joke that if you vote for a Democrat the terrorists win as a obvious way of making fun of Republicans, but I never thought they would actually say that! Does anyone really take this seriously?

April 19, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. Sarah

Earth to McCain, Cowboy diplomacy is destroying America.

April 19, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  14. Nadithjr

Wow! Is this what the Mccain campaign really stand for, is this their best ideals for beating Obama? Maybe Hamas is happy because they have hope for peace too. All Iknow is that the world needs change and that change is normally lead by the American president, Obama will be a great leader who will bring the whole world to the table so that good decisions will be made that best suits the needs of Americans and the world as a whole.

April 19, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  15. AMS

Obama makes me sick. Deep down he knows that he is truly anti american in an empty blue suit . God help us if he is elected.

April 19, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  16. Sophie

geez McCain, I thought you said you would conduct a respectable campaign. I actually thought you were a decent guy, you know, after all that horrible stuff Karl Rove threw at you in 2000. But I guess I was wrong since you're now relying on the same right-wing, conspiracy freaks who said terrorists endorsed John Kerry in 2004 and Hillary Clinton just a couple months ago when she was the frontrunner. How very sad.

April 19, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. benjamin of bodyrockds

and of the current three folks running for office i'm sure the neo nazi's and the kkk support mccain. so now what?

April 19, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  18. Theory

I hate politics ! McCain and Clinton are disgusting ! Hamas wants Obama to win ! SO WHAT ! anybody can say what they want, Bin Laden may want the Yankees to win the world series but i can't fault them for that , This just show you the dishonesty and misguided tactics these people will go thru just to win. Do you really want this for leadership !

April 19, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. I used to be a Democrat

The War Party? Hahaha! Both Tim Granger and Brian, Pittsburgh need to brush up on their history before they make dumb statements like that. Its the Dems who fought all the major wars of the last 100 years, not the Republicans. Although in all fairness, the two parties are essentially the same these days.

Also, no offense to non-Americans, but most citizens don't care what the rest of the world thinks of the USA, and we certainly don't let non-citizens tell us who to vote for.

Obama = Dukasis = McGovern

April 19, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  20. BigBob

This is the Republican fearmongering we have all come to loath. If I want someone who employs this kind of smear to run our country, I would rather have Rove. At least he is more effective. As I watch the Dems battle for the nomination, I can now be comfortable with who ever they choose, because this guy is not an option.

April 19, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  21. benjamin of bodyrockds

Matthew 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. [44] But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; (KJV)

April 19, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  22. mike

lets kill people and eat their hearts!!!!! Mccain is a war lord he wants to kill people. his an idiot looser

April 19, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  23. Observer

all too much of the same old thing ...

the same thing comes up every election year since 9/11. this is right out of karl rove's playbook.

wake up america. quit living in fear.

April 19, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  24. grant

JOHN, YOU'RE A LOSER!
    IDIOT AMERICANS WILL GOBBLE THIS THIS NONSENSE UP FOR SURE.

April 19, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  25. Doris Bibbs

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like HAMAS is ready for PEACE! Mr. McCain I have worked for 28 1/2 years and still haven't made my 1st Million dollers, WE CAN'T AFFORD THESE WARS. LEAVE THOSE PEOPLE ALONG AND FOCUS ON THE USA! Start by having your wife donate to my family so we can buy a home.

April 19, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |