April 21st, 2008

Blitzer: 'We could be in for a long night'

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer
CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

(CNN) - Pennsylvania voters must now decide who will be a stronger Democratic presidential nominee in the general election against John McCain. The latest polls show Hillary Clinton ahead of Barack Obama - but those same polls show about 7 percent of the likely Democratic voters remain undecided. They could certainly tip the balance.

State officials also say that hundreds of thousands of new voters have registered – many of them about to vote for the first time. They represent a new element of the political equation, and they, too, could tip the balance. They represent a surprise factor.

In other words, we could be in for a long night tomorrow as the results come in. I will be anchoring our coverage from the CNN Election Center, beginning with The Situation Room at 4 p.m. ET.

If Clinton wins, even by a narrow margin, we will then gear up for the May 6 primaries in North Carolina and Indiana. I don’t think she would drop out. If she loses, however, her campaign would have to make a very tough decision.

On the substantive issues – like the economy, health care, housing, crime, the war in Iraq and other foreign policy matters - the two candidates have spelled out their visions in great detail on their respective websites. There are differences between the two of them, but not necessarily huge differences. That’s why you have heard so much from the candidates and their surrogates about so many other marginal matters.

The real differences, of course, are between the two Democratic candidates, on the one hand, and John McCain on the other. This idisagreements s very clear irrespective of whoever wins the Democratic nomination. In the fall, there will be very big between the two candidates on such sensitive issues as the war in Iraq, abortion rights for women, taxes, guns and a whole lot more.

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. jonsid

I believe part of the reason Hillary needs to win is because of her daughter. She has been preening her for a job in politics ever since her campaign began. She expects that if she wins, her daughter will have much more of a chance to rise as she has.

April 21, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  2. False hope

I just love the Obama supporters claiming their candidate can unite the country and is the symbol of hope, etc. but they are the first to insult the PA voters by saying BS like: HRC must think you're idiots, but if if you vote for her we'll know you're idiots, yadayadayada...you Obama supporters are the main reason Obama would never be able to unite this country...way too much animosity and aggressiveness...

April 21, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. middle-aged american

Reading the responses by the readers over the past few days, I see an OVERWHELMING support for Obama. I, too, support Obama and have dug into my wallet 3 times to prove it. It seems what America is saying is "we're not gonna take it anymore!" We deserve a new option, and that option has made itself available through Obama.

We don't expect perfection or miracles, we expect to have a say in how our government works. We expect accountability. We expect our Senators, Representatives, and even our President to be looking out for AMERICA FIRST, everyone else second.

Americans are notorious for their generosity the world over, but with the country in its current state of disgrace, we can barely feed & house ourselves. We will lose our reputation as a generous donor because of the corruption of government over the past 20 years.

So now we shout CHANGE. Now we demand change.

April 21, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. TunnelVision

The fact that Hillary's HAIL MARY advertisement (which contains flashes of Osama Bin Ladin, Pearl harbour, and the Cuban Missile program) is going to score a touchdown in Pennsylvania is sad

April 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. Julie

Why didn't Gore run again? He would have been the best choice for the Democratic party. But, since that wish can't come true now, what do we have? Two Democratic candidates who are the complete opposite of each other, but one will have to fight McCain. What about McCain? When the election becomes one on one, his wife needs to show her softer side in order to be "likable". She comes across as hard, too affluent, and a little bit snitty. McCain is probably an extension of Bush. Obama gets rattled easily – not good. Clinton is a trooper – won't give up. The choice is obvious.

CLINTON!!!!

April 21, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. Cherie

To :"And Thats The Truth, Ruth:,
    NO, I did not vote for Bush! I am a democrat and have been for 22years and this will be the FIRST time that I will go against my party. I CANNOT and WILL NOT vote for someone who I not only distrust but dislike as well. Obama, is no different than Hillary or even John McCain, if fact he is worse! He spews the word CHANGE but what kind of CHANGE is he really talking about...this can be a good thing but also a very bad one as well. and I really cant think of one good reason to elect this man..Let's see, he attends a racist and anti-American church (but, you all make excuses and turn a blind eye), He aligns himself with crooks and former terrorists (but, that's ok too!), He basically says that small town people are so bitter that they turn to guns, religion and racisim (but, really what he's trying to say is that we are so stupid that we cant think of anything else to vent our frustrations), and He has a wife who has said she has NEVER been proud of this country, until now! (But, you'll excuse that too!), What has he truly accomplished? Can you name something really life changing for the people of this country? I bet you cant……sooooo, stop drinking the kool-aid and stop living in his Fantasy world!
    Hillary '08

April 21, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  7. KenningtonPost

Rick in Oregon if I may, with all due respect, in your response to Cindy's post, you forgot that while Obama was using the money that was donated by voters to run a campaign that has left corner stone unturned, Hillary was living large in 5-star hotel suites in Las Vegas. We The People have empowered Obama to do what he is doing and no one can take that away from him.

You have to recognize where Obama has come from, NOTHING, a nobody compared to where Hillary came from... former FIRST LADY, both national and state. Popularity is on her side but not substance. There is nothing lady-like about her. She's just as dirty as all the political dogs out there, living in the shadows of Bill who has shown people his true colors... his policies has gone to highest bidder.

Anyways, there are so many women in this great country that can do 100 times better than HRC and that is why her political chart has been on the decline. And will continue to do so

April 21, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. SHIRLEY, INGLEWOOD, CA

EXPERIENCE...? JUST HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE DOES IT TAKE TO USE PLAIN OLD, GOD BLESSED COMMON SENSE TO TREAT PEOPLE THE WHY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED. GO GET THEM OBAMA!! YOU'RE THE MAN! YOU GOT MY VOTE

OBAMA! OBAMA!

April 21, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  9. Pam from Michigan

I just don't get it, is it the same person using different names in the e-mails? I honestly only know of one person in all the people that I know that supports obama (hes young and thinks obama is a good speaker). Everyone else supports McCain or Clinton. And everyone that says they support Clinton, say they will vote for McCain in the GE if Obama wins the nomination. He really is just a baby and has no experience to run this country. How can anyone truely chance the most important job in the world to someone who hasn't done anything yet.? Its really scary that some people would vote for someone just because they're a good speaker.

April 21, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  10. ratgurl

So now we shout CHANGE. Now we demand change.

April 21, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. Dori in AZ

How I would have liked for an honest and capable woman to have run for President on this first time out! Then, at least, I would have had another viable candidate to consider.

Obama 2008!

April 21, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. Mack

Hillary will come out 20%+ ahead of Obama tomorrow night.

April 21, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  13. April in Texas

Well I will have my popcorn and television tuned in.. I cant wait to see Hillary drop out once she realizes that she cant win..... Darn I must be dreaming Hillary will need to get punted out of the race, Lets hope those Steelers and Eagles fans deliver cause I hoping for a field goal...

Obama 08

April 21, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  14. Lois

I have read most of the comments & it appears that most Senator Obama supports seem to believe that change will be made with words & a magic wand. It will never happen.

Senator Clinton will bring to the White House an economic package that President Clinton used to bring our Ecomomy back to a status that helped the country. Exactly what is Senator Obama going to bring to the table? I believe thoughts & wants, but nothing really specific unless he uses the Clinton's economic package.

Has Obama mentioned why he asked his Pastor to back away about a year ago when he decided to run? We all heard about the connection to Himmas & Louis F. but what did he do or say a year ago to cause Senator Obama to ask him to back away?

If I am not mistaken Senator has taken "gifts" from Lobbiest so go figure the attitude now about these people.

Does anyone care that Senator Obama had supported the Bush Chaney energy bill..........I believe the price of gas, heating oil etc is a result of that bill.......

Does anyone care that this has become an issue of race...not brought on by Senator Obama or Senator Clintor but by the black voters themself's!!!!! When 98% of the black voters say they are voting for Obama there is nothing specific...so all we can deduce is that it is because of the color of his skin. What a shame!!!

In truth if Senator is the Democratic Nominee I will most likely vote for McCain or write in Senator Clintons name...or maybe SpongeBobSquarepants...because that might as well be our new president.

April 21, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  15. Binkis1

Wolfie–why don't you and your producers just declare for hillary like Fox..If not for Jack C and Candy it would be totally Clinton News Network!

Shameless

April 21, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  16. HH

ITS OVER ITS OVER ITS OVER HILLARY

April 21, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  17. Sean McM

CNN is right behind Fox in going down the tubes....the only credible analyst left is Lou Dobbs. Jerko Blitzer monopolixes the station and that is NOT a plus! Snow will not be a plus.....

So in our house, we are now down to Dobbs 7-8 p.n. News Hour on PBS for national news, BBC for International, and C-Span for live Congressional and Book TV.

The rest of it is garbage....our Standards are low, low, low....in many aspects of our lives thses days, especially the media and politics...........an all time DISGRACE!

PS.
    When are you going to report on your Gay reporter (Richard...the Brit)
    in the parkk?????

April 21, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  18. Great

To all of Hil-lie-ary's supporters:

You are sounding more and more pathetic just like your morally and financially bankrupt candidate. Go put on your big people underwear and come out in the November election with some dignity, brains and an apology for helping to damage the party along with your candidate's Rovian tactics. Oh that's right, you are not Democrats, just Sillary supporters like Richard Mellon Scaife, Man-Baby Coulter and Rush Limbaugh. Good company you keep there, traitors!

April 21, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  19. Jack Robertson

It's time to end the drama and to haul the drama queen off the stage. The fat lady has begun to sing and it's sweet, sweet music. If she loses or even comes close to losing in Pennsylvania, perhaps Hillary could also serenade the nation with her favorite tune "Cry me a river."

April 21, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  20. Carrie Pa

I hope that it's a long night. Then, it won't be a victory for Hillary.

April 21, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. Ruby Coria, CA.

Wolf, we all know that The Hill is not going to step down regardless of how little of a win she gets..,why should she?, he can't get the #'s to clinch.., I'll be watching you at the convention.

April 21, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  22. Wanda

Same ole, same ole! Hillary Clinton is a prime example of what is wrong with politicians. Instead of giving solutions, she uses fear to try and manipulate Americans. I hope and pray that everyone gets this one right and vote for Obama. I voted for her husband twice and will NEVER vote for a CLINTON ever again. If she wins the nomination, I will not vote for her nor will many others that I know. Isn't it time for reconciliation and unity to lift this company up and not continue to tear this great nation apart.

Wanda
    Florida

April 21, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  23. Tim , Seattle

For all of you saying 'If Hillary drops out I am voting for McCain".....

You are un-american, selfish and do not deserve the right to vote.
    But if you are going to diss the party, then be consistent and just register as republican and get out of our way. You are not democrats, just plain brats.

Let me know who you are so I can be sure to send you a McCain bumper sticker and a shirt.
    Since you are willing to sell out your principles because your candidate may lose, be sure to wear that McCain shirt real proud-like.
    Good luck squaring your choice with your children who will notice your childish behavior and question why its okay for you to act that way.

Then I can start blaming you when more of our soldiers die and I lose my job and my house. Congratulations, you must be so proud of yourselves. Idiots!

April 21, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  24. Sandra D

Wolf,

Hopefully you will be unbiased in your coverage tomorrow. Do not diminsih your self respect even further by being a subtle Hillary supporter, you already sound like it in this article. If Hillary was the one leading in popular vote, delegates and number of States won, this race would be over, but no, it is the black man, so he has to work 4 times as hard to get what you white guys get in a snap. Obama is literally battling on four ends; Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, John McCain and the media. This is pure evidence of what us black folks have believed for a long time; a black woman like my self have to work double hard to be at par with a white person while the black man has to work 4 times harder.

April 21, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  25. GL

I'm surprised. I would have figued that Wolf already called it for Hillary even though 0% of the precincts have reported yet. Would be expected at this point in the campaign, having viewed his reporting of the primaries so far...

April 21, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |