April 21st, 2008
9 months ago

Candidates to appear on Monday Night Raw

The candidates will appear on WWE Monday.
The candidates will appear on WWE Monday.

(CNN) – The road to the White House apparently runs through WWE Monday Night Raw.

All three presidential candidates are scheduled to make taped appearances on tonight's episode, hoping to tap into the show's approximately 5 million weekly viewers. The messages will also come on the eve of the crucial Democratic presidential primary in Pennsylvania.

WWE says the appearances follow an invitation both Clinton and Obama to appear live on the show to settle the prolonged Democratic presidential race in the wrestling ring. This is not the first time the WWE has waded into politics: it unsuccessfully challenged Al Gore and George Bush to agree to an arm wrestling match in 2000. It has also launched a voter registration drive called Smackdown Your Vote.

Read what Clinton, aka "Hill-Rod," and Obama will say tonight after the jump. (The McCain campaigns have not released their scripts.)

Clinton on WWE

Hi, I’m Hillary Clinton. But tonight, in honor of the WWE, you can call me Hill-Rod.

This election is starting to feel a lot like “King of the Ring.” The only difference? The last man standing may just be a woman.

The truth is, this election is so important. The next president will face a stack full of difficult challenges right from the opening bell… to fix the economy, bring our troops home from Iraq, and make college more affordable. You need a president who will go to the mat for you. And that’s exactly what I’ll do.

I’ve been knocked down, but I’ve always gotten back up. And I know how to take a hit for the American people. And if things get a little tough, I may even have to deliver the “people’s elbow.”

Because this country is worth fighting for.

Now, I promise to stick to the political arena. So don't worry Randy Orton you're safe... for now.

When it comes to standing up for the American people though, I am ready to rumble.

Barack Obama on WWE

Hey WWE fans – I hope you're all enjoying the program tonight. You know, this is a historic time for America. It's not just that the reign of Randy Orton may soon be coming to an end. It's that at this moment, in this election, we have a chance to finally end business-as-usual in Washington. For a long time now, we've had a politics where our leaders go after each other like they're competing to become King of the Ring instead of coming together to provide universal health care, fix our economy, and solve our other problems. That's what I'm running for President to change. So to the special interests who've been setting the agenda in Washington for too long – and to all the forces of division and distraction that have stopped us from making progress for the American people – I've got one question: Do you smell what Barack is cooking?

Related: Watch the candidates taped appearances for the WWE

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Gini

"Hillary is a bitter liar, Obama brings hope and change"
    I'm sorry, but is this the kind of crap that you people actually believe? Please don't be so naive, it makes me sad

April 21, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. no way cnn

Everytime I write a good lenghty statement about why we should not elect Obama, you will not post it. Why? You are going to lose. I'm telling the world.

April 21, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. Lucy

I would love to see Mickey James lay a Smackdown on Hillary. That should take care of the lies tha come out of her.

April 21, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  4. Duckula

For the millions of fans at home...it's the most electricfyin man in sports entertainment! Do you smell what the B'rock is cookin!

April 21, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. Stephen, Lansing, MI

This is why there should be a test for having the privilege to vote.

The fact that these three are doing RAW shows what a popularity contest this has become.

Forget about your integrity and make a deal with the devil.

April 21, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  6. Biased CNN

All the blogs about Hillary...
    Why you don't report on the super-delegate from Minnesota who switched today to Obama???
    Democrats wants this primary to end. It is hurting the party
    Come on PA...

I know CNN will not post this one because they are working hard to keep Hillary in this race

April 21, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  7. eBenji

Brilliant! The #1 rated show on Cable TV is the best place for the candidates to state their case to those who may not have even heard them speak once this year. I am honored that the candidates are showing respect to my fellow wrestling fans and encouraging them to "SmackDown the Vote!"

If ya smell what Barack is Cookin in '08...

April 21, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. HC

Grow up!!

April 21, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. running scared are we

face it fellas, sometimes there are some woman that are just far smarter than we are. this is one of those cases.

obama is shaking in his boots that hillary clinton will make mince meat out of him.

i used to be like that. the experience made a man out of me.
    admit when you are wrong and admit when you need help – the help you get makes you smarter. You are smarter than a lot of men but you dont have to always be smarter than every woman. admitting it is the hard part.

April 21, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  10. Tom,des moines

As far as wrestling r concern. Hillary will beat the living hell out of this two man. Hillary all the way to the white house.

April 21, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. Chris

IF YOU SMELLLLLLLLL WHAT BA-RACK IS COOKING?

April 21, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  12. middle-aged american

Reading the responses by the readers over the past few days, I see an OVERWHELMING support for Obama. I, too, support Obama and have dug into my wallet 3 times to prove it. It seems what America is saying is "we're not gonna take it anymore!" We deserve a new option, and that option has made itself available through Obama.

We don't expect perfection or miracles, we expect to have a say in how our government works. We expect accountability. We expect our Senators, Representatives, and even our President to be looking out for AMERICA FIRST, everyone else second.

Americans are notorious for their generosity the world over, but with the country in its current state of disgrace, we can barely feed & house ourselves. We will lose our reputation as a generous donor because of the corruption of government over the past 20 years.

So now we shout CHANGE. Now we demand change.

April 21, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. PAL

Instead of belittling the event, let's remember that the WWE's last vote drive was very successful – and we should be thankful that all three candidates are ready to join the event. Remember...

The most important authority we wield as citizens is that of the vote.

PAL

April 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. eddie n. powellnye

Stehen : My reality is that of a man in his fifty's that justy got his right to vote for a Black man in 1992. The wars I had to figth against the Regans and Clintons just to get minotrities and women the right to run for local offices almost cost me my life and family of 8 children. The same people that you think you know are what I had to experience
    until the US Attorney General's Civil Right Division ruled through a consent decree that I was 100% right. I has a cross burnt in my yard were my children stood, watch and cried. That is my reality. Now what is yours. When I talk, I only talk reality. My wisdom comes from reality. I have lived through 10 presidents. I cried for Jfk and responded to his call and have been a medical MD in rural NC for 30 yrs. When I talk at least I follow that line of reasoning that if you have not walked in my shoes please do not engae one's mouth before engaging one's brain.
    'THAT IS MY REALITY'
    20000 or more listen. I side with no one.

April 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  15. Bob

I have just been contacted by several ex-precinct chairs to join a Independants for Hillary Clinton. That should she lose the nomination, a write in campaign could be effective for those choosing not to vote for O Bama. All States must allow a write in even those with toucn screens. It's a different ballot.from the others.

April 21, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  16. Louis, New York

Clinton has been and will continue to be self serving. It was what she came to NY for and lied in 2004 when she said she would NOT run for president ever. She is untrustworthy and has done NOTHING as a senator with the immense power she could wield for it's people.
    She is a big disappointment, but I tried to believe her anyway. I won't be fooled again.

April 21, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  17. big

all man maybe Hilliary will think she is in sniper fire and coming shooting. wait maybe she will miss speak again lol bill will be looking for some babes while hilliary is in sniper fire

April 21, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. LL King in Ohio

Hillary Clinton will solve the problem
    ……………………..will treat all americans with dignity……
    ……………………..will balance the budget…
    ……………………..will unite the country…
    ……………………..will become one of the greatest american presidents.

God Bless Hillary all the way to the White House!

God Bless America, this most beautiful country on the world!!!!!

April 21, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  19. Vig

Ok – it;s Kong Clinton vs. Sulk Obama. You go girlfriend!!!!!!!!

April 21, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. Sandie

Barack the "Rock "all the way!

April 21, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  21. Rachel

As a Canadian observer – I know politics is dirty but I have never witnessed anything as filthy dirty as this Democratic race. The reasons for you not voting for either Hillary or Obama are absolutely ridiculous. Oh and just for your info – I can't see any other country i n the world that would vote for the same old, same old Hillary. Every head of state would rather deal with Obama. See world for Obama.com. Bill Clinton is coming to Toronto for a fund raiser for his Billary. Why should they get campaign funds from other coun tries. I wonder what he will file that under in his tax returns. Maybe with the 15m undisclosed.

April 21, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  22. 2theHill

The WWF smack down took place at the last debate. Hillary and Obama got different questions at this debate he could not piggy back off of her answers as he has done in the previous debate, he came off looking very much out of place. Obama could not come up with a basic financial economic answer. Any financial person knows that if you are allowed to keep more of your capital gain the economy will get better because you have more to spend. How many men can speak intelligently on the variety of subjects that have been thrown at Hillary during these debates to trip her up? Each time she comes out on top with good sharp strong answers. When Barack Obama is ask to respond he has no answers of his own, he just piggy back off of Hillary's answer.

Everyone knows that if they are truly honest with themselves they know Hillary is the better candidate. If she was a man in this race, Obama would be long gone. Hillary is a very smart woman and that's one of the major reasons people are talking so negative about her. To be honest we all know Obama is where he is because news media is afraid to criticize him and be label as trying to keep the black man down. This race is about race and not who is the best candidate. The republicans will not give a hoot about Obama blackness, if he is the nominee. They are going to point out to the black community how Obama is ashamed of them because he does not want to be seen at any all black functions. They are going to run their paid advertisements that will swift boat him that even two life jackets will not save him.

April 21, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |