April 21st, 2008
9 months ago

Candidates to appear on Monday Night Raw

The candidates will appear on WWE Monday.
The candidates will appear on WWE Monday.

(CNN) – The road to the White House apparently runs through WWE Monday Night Raw.

All three presidential candidates are scheduled to make taped appearances on tonight's episode, hoping to tap into the show's approximately 5 million weekly viewers. The messages will also come on the eve of the crucial Democratic presidential primary in Pennsylvania.

WWE says the appearances follow an invitation both Clinton and Obama to appear live on the show to settle the prolonged Democratic presidential race in the wrestling ring. This is not the first time the WWE has waded into politics: it unsuccessfully challenged Al Gore and George Bush to agree to an arm wrestling match in 2000. It has also launched a voter registration drive called Smackdown Your Vote.

Read what Clinton, aka "Hill-Rod," and Obama will say tonight after the jump. (The McCain campaigns have not released their scripts.)

Clinton on WWE

Hi, I’m Hillary Clinton. But tonight, in honor of the WWE, you can call me Hill-Rod.

This election is starting to feel a lot like “King of the Ring.” The only difference? The last man standing may just be a woman.

The truth is, this election is so important. The next president will face a stack full of difficult challenges right from the opening bell… to fix the economy, bring our troops home from Iraq, and make college more affordable. You need a president who will go to the mat for you. And that’s exactly what I’ll do.

I’ve been knocked down, but I’ve always gotten back up. And I know how to take a hit for the American people. And if things get a little tough, I may even have to deliver the “people’s elbow.”

Because this country is worth fighting for.

Now, I promise to stick to the political arena. So don't worry Randy Orton you're safe... for now.

When it comes to standing up for the American people though, I am ready to rumble.

Barack Obama on WWE

Hey WWE fans – I hope you're all enjoying the program tonight. You know, this is a historic time for America. It's not just that the reign of Randy Orton may soon be coming to an end. It's that at this moment, in this election, we have a chance to finally end business-as-usual in Washington. For a long time now, we've had a politics where our leaders go after each other like they're competing to become King of the Ring instead of coming together to provide universal health care, fix our economy, and solve our other problems. That's what I'm running for President to change. So to the special interests who've been setting the agenda in Washington for too long – and to all the forces of division and distraction that have stopped us from making progress for the American people – I've got one question: Do you smell what Barack is cooking?

Related: Watch the candidates taped appearances for the WWE

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Larry from LA

I would love to Obama kick Hillary's lying negative butt

April 21, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  2. Sharon Minnesota

Since you have cut off the comments (after only 79 entries) regarding the financial report on the Clinton campaign after she was castigated by your readers, I am signing on here with my comments. Yeah, I'm still here.

Wow, I was still under the impression that we live in a democracy and can choose who we want for president. So you all can cut the pressure off trying to change the minds of those who are supporting the best candidate we have, (Hillary Rodham Clinton).

No matter how much money Obama throws at this campaign, he will still loose.

Obama can't buy my love.

I'll wait for all your nasty remarks and have a good time laughing them off next November after we have our first woman president.

April 21, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  3. Tim

Picard/Riker '08: Make it so!

April 21, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  4. Ric

If only all elections were settled in the ring.

April 21, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  5. gerald strother

none

April 21, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  6. enomisa

Is anyone out there gullible enough to still believe in Obama's "change"?

April 21, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  7. richard

This coulkd be the most civil and fair suggestion I have heard so far about how to settle the dispute.

April 21, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Sharon Minnesota

Hillary will have a better chance of not getting pummeled by this crowd than she would by CNN.

Go Hillary!!

April 21, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  9. Georgia

sick. pandering. boo...

April 21, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. Carl from Pa

Well, it's not the bowl off that Hillary wanted (which I thinks he would lose actually, if you saw her try to bowl on Ellen), but I think this will do. It's like I always say (no not really), if you can win in the ring you can win the White House, haha.

But, seriously, lets just get the one with the most votes to win – which would be Obama.

April 21, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Mark

Well, I can't say as I'm surprised. I kind of feel like CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, MSNBC and the rest of the media outlets are more about entertainment like the WWE is than actually being a serious media organizations. It would be more fun though if they had to participate in a cage match.

April 21, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. Dick in Sioux Falls

One of Obama's detractors said Obama has been getting most of his money from millionaires. The fact is that the average gift to the Obama campaign is $109, and the secret to his startling fund-raising success is his recruitment of more than a million new voters. Where he was warned he would not be able to compete with the well-established Clinton Campaign, he has out-organized, out-campaigned, and showed himself to be much more financially competent than Hillary. Does that not say to you that he would be a more competent President, without all the Lobbyist Baggage, and Washington-insider luggage she would bring to the Presidency?

April 21, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  13. Dan in CO

so ridiculous...

April 21, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  14. R

i don't even know what to say to this. If this was ONLY Clinton she'd be desperate? Now what do the Obama fans got to say to this?

April 21, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  15. Peachy Keen

I'm sure Hillary will tell us about the times her father took her out behind the barn and taught her how to wrestle. And another thought. Doesn't Hillary have siblings? How come none of them are campaigning for her?

April 21, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. Kenneth M

What can Obama do now to win PA?
    1 List the promises made by Bill when he was president and show how the Clintons under deliver.
    2 Get out the vote in the big cities by providing transportation to and from homes and churches.
    3 Have people who have endorsed him from all over the nation call their friends and relations in PA and ask for their support.
    4 Have a gracious speech ready to congratulate Hillary and deliver it as early in the evening as he can.

April 21, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  17. Ed from PA

It would suit them.

April 21, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  18. what's the H?

that's great; i love it

April 21, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  19. enomisa

I am 53 years old and have always voted democratic since first voting at age 18.

Hillary Clinton is the best presidential candidate that my party has ever had running.

If Obama, by cheating and disenfranchising the voters and with his hype of hope cult methodology is our nominee, I will not vote for him.

I will write in Hillary Clinton- and if that is not possible- will have to vote for McCain.

I love my country and ALL its people too much to risk the kind of demagogue leader that Obama is. The bitter and angry Americans are grasping at straws. Just like Germany and Italy did in the 1930s. Look at what they got when they followed the cult-like worship of their leaders that inspired the youth with their false message of hope and unity.

April 21, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  20. Watching every move

Sounds dumb, not interested.

April 21, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  21. Jane

Please. Our country is facing very serious problems, and to many of us, it is not a joke.

April 21, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  22. Jason M. Bryant

Georgia, it's *all* pandering. Every single commercial run by every candidate is them trying to put their message in a place that people will see it.

April 21, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. Arlene

Read this article in our local newspaper and thouight this might be itneresting for our voters to know, A Genealogical Society published this:
    1. John McCain is the sixth cousi of Laura Bush???

2. Hiliary Clinton is the ninth cousin twice removed of Angelina Jolie????

3. Barack Obama is related to evryone from the Bushes to Brad Pitt??
    How American is that?

When the candidates comment on who is the best American remember this.

My personal feelings as Hiliary is acting like a typical woman by being so catty and trying to find something to dig up in the past on her opponents-with her past on stating she knows all about the White House and politics she did not even know what was going on with her husband and then when she did , as an attorney she heard him commintting pergury. Does they not tell us that she has her own past and lots more.

Its nice to be froma small town because it is obvious and Hiliary and John have never been in one.

April 21, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  24. Jay Fray

barack should give hillary the "rock bottom" and then go on the ropes, and yell...."IF YA SMEEEELLLLLLALALALOW WHAT BARACK IS COOKING"

April 21, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  25. The Dude

Does this mean if all else fails, Stone Cold Steve Austin could be president?

ANYONE BUT MCCAIN '08!