April 21st, 2008
11 months ago

Candidates to appear on Monday Night Raw

The candidates will appear on WWE Monday.
The candidates will appear on WWE Monday.

(CNN) – The road to the White House apparently runs through WWE Monday Night Raw.

All three presidential candidates are scheduled to make taped appearances on tonight's episode, hoping to tap into the show's approximately 5 million weekly viewers. The messages will also come on the eve of the crucial Democratic presidential primary in Pennsylvania.

WWE says the appearances follow an invitation both Clinton and Obama to appear live on the show to settle the prolonged Democratic presidential race in the wrestling ring. This is not the first time the WWE has waded into politics: it unsuccessfully challenged Al Gore and George Bush to agree to an arm wrestling match in 2000. It has also launched a voter registration drive called Smackdown Your Vote.

Read what Clinton, aka "Hill-Rod," and Obama will say tonight after the jump. (The McCain campaigns have not released their scripts.)

Clinton on WWE

Hi, I’m Hillary Clinton. But tonight, in honor of the WWE, you can call me Hill-Rod.

This election is starting to feel a lot like “King of the Ring.” The only difference? The last man standing may just be a woman.

The truth is, this election is so important. The next president will face a stack full of difficult challenges right from the opening bell… to fix the economy, bring our troops home from Iraq, and make college more affordable. You need a president who will go to the mat for you. And that’s exactly what I’ll do.

I’ve been knocked down, but I’ve always gotten back up. And I know how to take a hit for the American people. And if things get a little tough, I may even have to deliver the “people’s elbow.”

Because this country is worth fighting for.

Now, I promise to stick to the political arena. So don't worry Randy Orton you're safe... for now.

When it comes to standing up for the American people though, I am ready to rumble.

Barack Obama on WWE

Hey WWE fans – I hope you're all enjoying the program tonight. You know, this is a historic time for America. It's not just that the reign of Randy Orton may soon be coming to an end. It's that at this moment, in this election, we have a chance to finally end business-as-usual in Washington. For a long time now, we've had a politics where our leaders go after each other like they're competing to become King of the Ring instead of coming together to provide universal health care, fix our economy, and solve our other problems. That's what I'm running for President to change. So to the special interests who've been setting the agenda in Washington for too long – and to all the forces of division and distraction that have stopped us from making progress for the American people – I've got one question: Do you smell what Barack is cooking?

Related: Watch the candidates taped appearances for the WWE

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Mat

TOM – Hillary is spending less because she has less and is actually in the Red – take a look back through all of the primaries and see who spent what and who won what – I think you'll find that Obama has actually raised more money from small donations from people who want to see a change instead of the huge donations from big companies that want a president in their pocket! I don't know how you can connect Obama spending more money – that he raised to raising taxes – but I guess this is what happens when you listen to the Hillary Spin machine too much!

April 21, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  2. joann

Earth to Cindy, you need a reality check – the young are stupid becasue when asked "why are you voting for Obama" the say things like "I don't know" or "because all young people are" or "he inspires me" – how stupid. Haven't you learned anything in college. You don't vote for a candidate you know nothing about – well, you do know all his "terrorist like" acquaintances whom he refuses to distance himself from. That much you know and you still think he's gods gift to America? Wow. I'd respect you more if you just stayed home on the couch.

April 21, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  3. DA'COLONEL

HILLARY,SLEAZY WILLY,& BUCKY BEAVER CHELSEA HAVE SEEN
    THE LAST OF THE WHITEHOUSE. TIME TO REDECORATE WITH
    OBAMA....A CHANGE IS A COMING..

April 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  4. Anne

I'm befuddled...

Alfredo...how can you support a candidate whose name you can't spell in a state whose name you can't spell either? You really need to do some research on the issues.

And "True Democrat"...ummm you certainly are NOT a True Much of Anything if you compare millions of people to Nazis. ..and most certainly not a Democrat.

I really have had it with all the nastiness and "Insta-Facts" and pure, unvarnished drivel. If this keeps up, Senator McCain will win in a landslide because the Democrats will have destroyed themselves.

Enough, already !!!

April 21, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. carolflowery

Obama cant even help clean up the gangstas in chicago, let alone run this country

April 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. PoliTrickery

American politics has reached a new low. wrestling.

April 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. tom

And people wonder why foreign countries laugh at American politics?
    What's next-an appearance by all three on Flavor of Love? Oops, that may be too dignified.

Tom, Florida

April 21, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. SPQR753

At the very moment of casting his or her decision, each voter should think about the following:

Do I need a President who:

A) For 20 years was under the mental influence pastor Wright?

B) Had a long relationship with William Ayers even if he knew that Mr. Ayers stated in an interview with The New York Times – QUOTE:
    ""I DON'T REGRET SETTING BOMBS. I FEEL WE DIDN'T DO ENOUGH.""?

If you do not care for any of these two worrisome situations, VOTE for OBAMA: the REPUBLICAN PARTY MACHINE (and CARL ROVE) WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!!!

April 21, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. No McSame

Hillary loves Pennsylvania so mush that she moved to New York. Ha ha ha, the jokes on you PA.

April 21, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  10. Obama Nation

Jesse the Body 4 President

April 21, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  11. Save us PA

This would be Hillary in her element with her crowd.

After last Tuesday's debate, this appearance and a stint on Jerry Springer is all the first lady needs to lose big with educated voters. I started out for Hillary and ended up wishing she'd visit the moon until 2009.

April 21, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  12. Terry

Clinton Needs Record Margins to Win Popular Vote
    "To overtake Barack Obama in the nationwide popular vote, Hillary Clinton needs a bigger win in tomorrow's Pennsylvania primary than she has had in any major contest so far. And that's just for starters," Bloomberg reports.

"After more than 40 Democratic primaries and caucuses, Obama, the Illinois senator, leads Clinton by more than 800,000 votes. Even if the New York senator wins by more than 20 percentage points tomorrow - a landslide few experts expect - she would still have a hard time catching him."

Why does the popular vote count matter?

Walter Shapiro notes that at closed-to-the-press Clinton house party Friday night in Pennsylvania, New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine and director Rob Reiner - both Clinton supporters - continued to make the argument that the winner of the popular vote should get the Democratic nomination.

I cannot believe the people in Pennsylvania who cares about the democratic party are not paying closer attention to this. They are destroying our chances to win in November,

April 21, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. Stu Smith, CA

***true democrat***

The same generalizations apply to Jesus.

April 21, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  14. robert

This idea is no completly over the top ! only brainless people would consider it – you should suggest it to Sean Hannity vs Rush Linberg

Grow up people , grow up
    Our country is in danger of having this horrid woman nominated for the Presidency by default

Her motto is " I will only go down if I can take Senator Obama with me "

I ask you , is that the action of somebody that loves America ?
    the most unpatriotic action of all !

If Senator Obama defends himself from the negative attacks he is then told he is "like all other politicians" if he does not ,..... then he is consider weak ....

Why will you be blind to our only alternative ???

April 21, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. Independent

To A Real American –

Those "young people" that are 25 and under are fighting and dying in Iraq and have done the same in every war this country has ever been involved in. If anyone has the right to vote for someone who didn't vote to send them to war it is them.

I'm not that young, I'm an attorney, I'm female, and I'm white, and I support Obama. And by the way, I'm sick of hearing people on these blogs whine about how everyone who supports Obama is either black (sure, that 13% of the population is why he is winning more states, more votes, and more delegates than the most well-known woman in politics) or too young to know better.

Frankly, it is also ludicrous and insulting to compare Obama's appeal to Hitler's – and moronic to say that everyone has forgotten their history so they don't see the parallels between Obama's presidential campaign and the Nazi Youth movement. I know my history – and Obama is no Hitler, morons.

I think the older people have done a great job running this country into the ground at this point, and at least some young energetic people are willing to try to make a difference now.

April 21, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  16. Susan

I don't even know what Monday Night Raw is, but after reading these comments, I have a feeling it's not a televised tea party. I am sad that Obama has turned so negative. Where is his message of hope that we remember back in Iowa, that inspired so many of us?
    He doesn't sound like someone who will change the country. Hillary is far more likely to bring change and hope to our nation.

April 21, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  17. Rick

Hey NW, could you release yours; as a matter of fact why don't we all release our tax info from 1997-1999 ; give me a break; how much did Mr. Hillary Clinton pay you for that remark ?..........

April 21, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  18. patricia

To A real American ~ ~ RE the Under 25 crowd, they are old enough to go die in Iraq but not old enough to make decisions for America? Wow, that is some statement!!!!

April 21, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  19. White male for Obama

Okay let them showup and laugh a bit.
    Oh...I ready about Hillary's debt. Why is she always be the one to fall into debt when she is very rich.
    She certainly wants to continues campaign for the presidency , and so therfore she whould withraw her money from the bank to campaign . She kept her money and she wants ordinary Americans to donate for her while her money is making profits.

Fool us once,......fool us twice that is a serious concerns. so if you don't want to be fooled again vote Obama. He has managed his campaign ver well and he will manage the country effectively.
    Bless American

April 21, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  20. joanne

It's amazing to read how many are out there to support Clinton...even more amazing the reasons the bring up. Truly stupid braindead...so I guess they deserve another four years of having pulled the wool over their eyes. They obviously dont' know what is happening to them. Too bad it is always the 80/20 ratio..meaning, stupidity prevails....

April 21, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  21. fred

NO OBAMA!!!

April 21, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  22. Just Tired

Hey we can name Billary the NEW "junk yard DAWG!!"

April 21, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  23. Scott, Ga

To Tom and others who keep talking about Obama's money and how he's spent or spending it. He is a unknown commodity, Hillary is very well known , he has to spend money like that to keep up with her notarity. If he didn't do this he wouldn't have came close in Ohio and won Texas. Furthermore he is receiving the money from regular folks like myself so he can run against the Clinton Machine and the Republican clowns.
    Keep spending Barack, she's in debt and even if she wins tomorrow she will not be able to keep up.
    Also since she has put Moveon.org under the bus she would not stand a chance if she was the nominee.

April 21, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  24. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

Hillary would probably choose Sandra Bernhardt as her wrestling buddy.

April 21, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. Everett W.

Dawnie should apply to become a WWE writer because that was an excellent wrestling-style promo.

It just amazes me though that the actual candidates will appear by tape on WWE Raw, considering the program's sometimes off-color content.

I knew the candidates were desperate for votes, I just didn't imagine that they would be quite this desperate. Nonetheless, this is an incredible public relations coup for World Wrestling Entertainment.

April 21, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |