April 21st, 2008
6 months ago

Candidates to appear on Monday Night Raw

The candidates will appear on WWE Monday.
The candidates will appear on WWE Monday.

(CNN) – The road to the White House apparently runs through WWE Monday Night Raw.

All three presidential candidates are scheduled to make taped appearances on tonight's episode, hoping to tap into the show's approximately 5 million weekly viewers. The messages will also come on the eve of the crucial Democratic presidential primary in Pennsylvania.

WWE says the appearances follow an invitation both Clinton and Obama to appear live on the show to settle the prolonged Democratic presidential race in the wrestling ring. This is not the first time the WWE has waded into politics: it unsuccessfully challenged Al Gore and George Bush to agree to an arm wrestling match in 2000. It has also launched a voter registration drive called Smackdown Your Vote.

Read what Clinton, aka "Hill-Rod," and Obama will say tonight after the jump. (The McCain campaigns have not released their scripts.)

Clinton on WWE

Hi, I’m Hillary Clinton. But tonight, in honor of the WWE, you can call me Hill-Rod.

This election is starting to feel a lot like “King of the Ring.” The only difference? The last man standing may just be a woman.

The truth is, this election is so important. The next president will face a stack full of difficult challenges right from the opening bell… to fix the economy, bring our troops home from Iraq, and make college more affordable. You need a president who will go to the mat for you. And that’s exactly what I’ll do.

I’ve been knocked down, but I’ve always gotten back up. And I know how to take a hit for the American people. And if things get a little tough, I may even have to deliver the “people’s elbow.”

Because this country is worth fighting for.

Now, I promise to stick to the political arena. So don't worry Randy Orton you're safe... for now.

When it comes to standing up for the American people though, I am ready to rumble.

Barack Obama on WWE

Hey WWE fans – I hope you're all enjoying the program tonight. You know, this is a historic time for America. It's not just that the reign of Randy Orton may soon be coming to an end. It's that at this moment, in this election, we have a chance to finally end business-as-usual in Washington. For a long time now, we've had a politics where our leaders go after each other like they're competing to become King of the Ring instead of coming together to provide universal health care, fix our economy, and solve our other problems. That's what I'm running for President to change. So to the special interests who've been setting the agenda in Washington for too long – and to all the forces of division and distraction that have stopped us from making progress for the American people – I've got one question: Do you smell what Barack is cooking?

Related: Watch the candidates taped appearances for the WWE

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. we wanh hillary, not mccain...screw him.

HILLARY HATES PENNSYLVAINIA.

April 21, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. MP-Pennsylvania

I hope this is not going to be another ABC show, Which was partial and insulted all the media and the people involved in media.

If we rae taslking of fairness, we have to be fair first.

Treat others they way you want to be treated.

Good luck Barack; many times media was partial in this primary, and that is what made many young and old people who cannot stand for unjust stick to Barack during gutter spread.

April 21, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  3. Jed in Texas

A perfect setting for a bunch of frauds.

April 21, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  4. Cora Portland, Oregon

I'm sick of people saying Obama gave Hillary the finger. He DID NOT! He is much more refined than that. He was merely scratching an itch on his face. Give me a break.

OBAMA '08

April 21, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. Ture American

"True Democrat" should be ASHAMED to compare Obama to Hitler and the Nazi movement. If you don't like Obama, that's one thing. But to make such a charged, baseless and unwarranted comparison is dispicable. Regardless of who you support, I urge ALL Americans to reject the "Politics of Fear and Division" demonstrated by those such as "True Democrat". Make your decision based on the facts and your INDIVIDUAL impressions of the candidates ... NOT FEAR!

April 21, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. Obama '08 NC

I bet Hillary will not be answering the phone at 3 AM due to she might think it’s a bill collector. Oh girl can't pay her bills either. WOW!!! Billary need to think of a plan to get her out of debt. Maybe a good wrestling match with some of those bill collectors she owes from her weak campaign.

April 21, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. berni from Canada

This Canadian agrees with the views of True American and Real Democrat.

April 21, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  8. Mike - Texas

Maybe they should turn them loose in the ring and let them have at it!

Winner take all.

April 21, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Jason - KY

Real American,

Are you suggesting that older people like Clinton who can't remember if she was shot at and John McSame who can't remember what Joe Lieberman just whisperd in his ear a few minutes ago should make voting decisions for people between the ages of 18 and 25 then justifiy how and why that same age group should carry the burden of fighting and losing their life and limbs in a war. Not to mention being farmed out by Clinton as the Middle East bouncers if Iran wants to mix thing up with any other country. I guess we now know how the Clinton Library got financed. Oh, don't worry about Iran we will come to your aid right after I pull everybody out within 60 days of being elected. Yea right.

April 21, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. Desiree

This was cute, I wish the other canidates would release their scripts, these canidates are leaving no stone unturn

April 21, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. bigben

Obama is a girly man . I think Hillary would win

April 21, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  12. Susan MO

We are strongely for Clinton.

Obama badly insulted the people of Pennsylvania. And was rude about it afterwards. We do not need a president who slams the people.

Have not heard too much from McCain yet.

Hillary Clinton for President!! :)

April 21, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  13. After further review,Texas

Am I the only person that believes the best choices for the job were overlooked by the press and therefore the sheeple that believe the press?

April 21, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. mc

This is not a bad thing. How is this different that candidates appearing on MTV and *gasp* Arsenio Hall? To tell you the truth this will have more substance than the ABC debate.

Like many Americans, I get more insulted when I hear the candidates pander and talk about their faith and religion. Please keep that to yourselves, preach to independent thinkers, not the flock.

April 21, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  15. John

No NO Hillary,stay away from this! Obama might bring an extra Kitchen sink!! - Literally !!! Remember the brushing you off his shoulders?

April 21, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  16. Matthew

CAN YOU SMELL... WHAT... BARACK ...IS COOKIN"

April 21, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. Lonny, Seattle

Tom...
    He spends more because he has more.
    Duh.
    Thats how it works in this country.
    The owner if the company i work for has a couple Ferrari's.
    I drive a Honda.
    He has more money, therfore, 2 Ferrari's.

April 21, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  18. Matthew

Obama 08

April 21, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  19. Jason - KY

SPQR753

It only took Sean Hannity two weeks to have your under his mental influence. Just how was this so call long relationship with Ayers? And if this guy was as bad as you and Hannity want to claim, I believe the fist set of people that should be questioned is the Justice Department. Why didn't we arrest him? Why didn't we convict him? Why is he not executed like Timothy McVey? How about you and Sean Hannity do some investigative reporting and answer those questions. Oh, by the way also find out why Bill Clinton pardon two people of the Weather Underground that were convicted? Who did he owe that favor to?

April 21, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. NickNasc

I think Hillary has gone WELL past the point where if she were the nominee that people would pile on to support her. She is 10 million in debt for a reason. People just talk about her but dont $upport her. I for one have written a letter to the DNC and there are 100s of thousands like me who will NOT send our Gas money and Dinner night out money to Hillary after all she has done in the last months. I am not going to vote for Mc Cain but I will NOT Vote for her.

How will I look to my Kids if I support her? even my KIDS see her as a liar and a cheat. This HAS to be the GOPS perfect storm. Hillary has divided the Dems so horribly McCain is going to win in a walk.

My Household is changeing to Independant. This has been Humiliateing and I blame her and the weak willed no backbone having DNC.

A FORMER Proud Democrat.
    But STILL an Obama Supporter.

April 21, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  21. Jed in Texas

Lets also make believe that we dont really have a choice for one out of three stooges.

April 21, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  22. Beka

I think the fact that her husband is taking A LOT of money from foreign governments, she lied about dodging sniper fire when trying to run against a man who actually did and the cherry on top is that is was her guy Harold Ickes who voted to disenfranchise MY vote in FL.

You think with this new baggage and all her old whipping the right into a frenzy to beat her that she is going to win...The GOPers are acting like wolves in sheeps clothing and the Clintons who are supposed to be so experienced are falling for it hook, line and sinker!

April 21, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. Ted van Tol

Hello Americans,

I am from the Netherlands and I follow de primeries every day.
    What I woud like to say is.... stop your hatefull words about your candidates. What I read is terrible and shamefull.
    We, in Europ are trilled that finely you have a candidate that acts and speaks like a real human. Obama is not perfect but I am sure he will be respected in the whole world.
    America needs to change his foreign policy. end wars, stands up for climate change. The time off cowboys are past a long time ago, so
    melt your guns and make some peace in this world.
    If not, I precict you will lose all the way. Your economy will getting down in favor off Europe, China and India.
    Your leading rol will be over in worldpolitics and you can wait
    for another 9/11.
    We see your poverty's in your towns, we see that young people are killing on schools and even in privat homes for childeren are playing with guns of ther daddy.
    I read about "the great nation" most of you think you are. Please look at yourself and solve you problems first.
    Stop the policy of fear and give us finely some change!

Holland for Obama, with excuses for my bad English and for my
    bitternes but I am so tired of America as it is now..

Ted van Tol.

April 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  24. AJ

I'm trying to figure out why all the candidates reaching out through other sources of media is a bad thing. I'm also trying to figure out why anyone is scrutinizing the WWE for attempting to get people to go out and vote. The "Smackdown Your Vote" Campaign they did 8 and 4 years ago drew in more young people to vote than would have if they hadn't done it, so why the hate?

Isn't that what we want? Seeing more people turning out? Voicing their opinions?

Oh wait, that's right, young people are coming out in droves for Obama so the Hillary supporters don't want to see that happen anymore.

I'm sorry, but in my honest opinion, this is not a bad thing, it is a good thing, and if you all have the nerve to scrutinize the WWE for trying to get people to go vote, then shame on you, because there is nothing wrong with it at all.

April 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. Molly

OBAMA IS NOT READY FOR THIS JOB. WHAT ARE THE DEMOCRATS THINKING? MCCAIN IS GOING TO HAVE HIM FOR LUNCH.

April 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |