April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Jasmyne

Talk about senile...

April 22, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  2. The Truth

Obama would be the poster boy for the conscientious objector. Let's send him back to Illinois the sooner the better

April 22, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. KJ, CA

Wow, sometimes I wonder who Bill is really campaigning for his wife or Obama??? Sometimes, some of the things that come out of his mouth – sure doesn't sound like the President that I so much respected.

April 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  4. Richard

God, to think that I used to like this guy.

Obama '08

April 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  5. McBomb

===bush....clinton...bush...clinton?!

===u call this democracy?!

April 22, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  6. Heidi from okc

Bill Today is a day to stay in bed (where's monica) and not speak to reporters unless....you can get your story straight.

April 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  7. McCain Clinton 08

I get it, the whole time, he truely didn't BELIEVE that he had sensual relations with that woman, it's just cause he FORGOT! Great memory Billdog!

April 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  8. Real Mccoys for Obama

What is wrong with Bill???? I can't believe he is acting like this and on Election Day no less. Anyway... GO OBAMA '08!!! A victory is on the horizon- jump on board while there's still time!

April 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  9. Mark

Wow, Bill is starting to look like Barbara Bush.

I know, in moderation until I dissappear

April 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  10. Mike

Bill, welcome to your legacy.

April 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. richard

Way to go Bill. We all know the truth. I just hope the truth comes out before it is to late.

April 22, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. CB

PLEASE GET OUT TWO STRAIGHT JACKETS, BECAUSE HILLARY AND BILL BOTH HAVE LOST THEIR MINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS GO OBAMA 08!

April 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  13. Susan

Having trouble getting your foot out of your mouth?

April 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  14. Frank (Cleveland)

Whats up with this guy?!?!

April 22, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. Grayson

Obama should start doing the same thing instead of pandering to political reporters aka paparazzi

April 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  16. Anonymous

The news should report the news . .why do they try to "create" a story by catching someone off guard and forcing them to say something that will be misinterpreted

April 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  17. April in Texas

To MARTY MCCLAIN via (Pennsylvania could decide Clinton's fate )

I hope you read this as you asked for a reason.. I am for Obama and yes in Texas. I will not vote for Hillary or any Clinton for the simple fact of NAFTA/globalization.. My husband went from a 50k a yer income and full time employment to contract work and 30k. We lost all benefits including our health care holidays, holiday pay, and any resemblance of job security.. It makes no since to lay off hard working folks just to send jobs overseas just because its cheaper. Laying off people who have been with a company for 10 plus years just to save a buck or two. You wanted a reason, well that is just one of MANY I could list as for why this typical white family will NEVER vote for a Clinton..

Bill you and your wife lie as easy as it is for me to eat. YOU SAID IT.. Its on tape, just admit it or better yet shut up please as your wife doenst need any help losing... Her campaign is in the red and in debt and I pray PA is as smart as I believe them to be..

Obama 08

April 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  18. RT

Where is the story about Hillary saying she would "totally Obliterate" Iran thats been circling throughout the media today?

April 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  19. May

Bill Clinton is out of cards to play! He has lost credibility which he had regained after the Monica Lewinsky problem. Now we all know he tells tales too! He used to be my hero. How sad! PA, help save the Dem party by voting for Obama today.

April 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  20. mama4obama

Ooops.....I screwed up again. Now I must deny deny deny

April 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  21. carrie

bill,as a former admirer,i say to you
    with all due respect,you are crazy.
    you and your wife need help,because y'all are deluded.
    have y got azheimers?you forget everything you and ur wife do
    hilly billy
    you need a straight jacket,maybe we'll come along with the blue dress.
    ha ha ha ha

April 22, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  22. PJ, New York Independent

Here you go again CNN. You are the bottom feeders of Journalism! It's so obvious STILL that CNN is pro Obama, just endorse him already! No wonder the Republican's refer to CNN as 'drive by media'. What a joke!

April 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  23. Chris from San Antonio

America is done playing your games, Mr. President.

April 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  24. Hillary, Liar from Day 1

Maybe someone should alert the Clintons; Video and Audio recordings are NOW on the internet... that big tunnel of communication where everything you say and do is recorded.....even as far as 15 years back.

I guess everyday the Clintons are brand new and the only truth that is spoken are the lies that are told from one minute to the next....

Retire the Clintons and let's Move On!

April 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Susan

Poor Bill – SOOO misunderstood – or , like Hillary, was it a misstatement?

Bill has has some real anger issues this primary season. I am thinking he could benefit from some happy pills!!! Bill, try some Lexapro, man!

April 22, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |