April 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: 'I choose not to play your games today'

CNN

Watch former President Clinton respond to a question about his 'race card' remark."

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Bill Clinton denied Tuesday he had accused the Obama campaign of ‘playing the race card’ during a Monday interview. A recording of the former president making the comment during that interview has been circulating online.

Outside a Pittsburgh campaign event, a reporter asked Clinton what he had meant “when you said the Obama campaign was playing the race card on you?"

Clinton responded: "When did I say that and to whom did I say that?"

The reporter replied that the former president had made the remarks during his interview with WHYY Monday night.

"No, no, no, that's not what I said,” said Clinton. “You always follow me around and play these little games. And I am not going to play your games today. This is a day about Election Day, go back and see what the question was and what my answer was.

“You have mischaracterized it to get another cheap story to divert the American people from the real urgent issues before us, and I choose not to play your games today. …

“I said what I said you can go back and look at the interview, and if you will be real honest you will also report what the question was and what the answer was. But I'm not helping you,” said Clinton.

Clinton did not respond when asked what he meant when he charged that the Obama campaign had a memo in which they said they had planned to play the race card.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. Indiana Voter

Every time I look at Bill Clinton, I still remember the night that he was on primetime press conference wagging his finger at us all, red-faced yelling "I DID NOT HAVE... WITH THAT WOMAN!!" Then that was followed up with his prime time admission of guilt because they found the evidence. Lying under oath – now that's a president full of character, a real moral authority!! sheesh It was awful to have to explain all of that to my kids about our US President.

From that moment on, I have washed my hands of the Clintons.

Obama all the way!!

2. Arkansas Undertaker

I am an Obama supporter, But I still have Love and Respect for the Clintons.

I am just so disappointed in the way they have conducted themselves in this election campaign.

Barack Obama is handling himself very well considering he is running against both Clintons. This should prove to the voters that this man is ready for anything especially if he is running against two of the saviest Democratic Politicians to ever walk the face of the earth and is holding his own.

BARAK OBAMA 08

3. Alan Boyer

This is priceless.

4. An Agnostic Democrat

More evidence that to breathe is to lie is to be a Clinton.

5. Brian

Doesn't he realize they have a recording of him on tape? Another day... another foot he has managed to stick in his mouth.

6. Jennifer

CNN, why are you not reporting on the provisional paper ballots at voting stations that have machine errors that DO NOT HAVE OBAMAS NAME ON THE BALLOT! Only Hillary shows up. This is a serious concern for voters!

There are photos of these ballots all over the internet. Obama supporters and those concerned about voter rights need to be concerned and need to take action.

Don't delete this CNN, like you do any other posts that don't favor Clinton! The public needs to know about this.

7. Joe B.

Bill's legacy is falling to the bottom of the heap. Looks like you and George Bush will be sharing the the same rung at the bottom of the ladder!

8. John

Not only is Billy boy a racist but a liar to boot.
    An impeached ex-president with a track record of deception and lies. Get outa here you old tart.

Lets get a real family man in the Whitehouse

Obama 08/12

9. Nowhere Man

I listened to the entire radio interview, and the lying SOB said it. He also said the Obama campaign had "memos" about playing the race card against them. Games? That's all the Clintonistas ever do is play their "little games". Their inuendos and lies are never-ending and, when they get caught, they lie some more. We put up with this crap throughout the 90's, and it is still going on. WHY in God's name would anyone want this despicable, lying couple, and their gang of political thugs, back in the WH? It is truly astounding to me what they feel they are entitled to, and the hell with the country and anybody else!

Come on, PA, bury them once and for all!

Obama '08!

10. Michael

Both Bill and Hillary are pathological liars. They're incapable of telling when they are being truthful and when they are lying anymore, it has become so second-nature to them. I'm SO sick of them both! Is this REALLY the best America has to offer?

11. bob from florida

hard to believe people are voting for a man who doesn't respect or honor the AMERICAN FLAG...refuses to wear an AMERICAN lapel pin or place is hand over his heart while the national anthem plays, and this is who you want for PRESIDENT.....what kind of change does he really want ???????

April 22, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. john williams san diego, ca.

Bubba....you had your eight years of fame, fortune and lust in the White House already. Now PLEASE just fade away.

13. Dave

Wow. Is he joking? He was recorded as saying that. People can actually listen to the recording. Another stupid lie by the Clinton campaign....

14. Rick Medina,OH

I am so disappointed in Bill. A few years back, I flew from Ohio to NYC ... rented a car, and drove to Harlem ... to stand in line for 2 hours to be among the first to buy his book. I sold the book last week on eBay.

15. Veterans For Obama

There he goes again, sabotaging his wifes campaign...I think she would have had a fair shot if he would of stayed out.

16. mitch from ark.

lying appears to run in the clinton's family.it's great to have former pres. clinton on obama's train,tho.thanx,bill,for supporting obama.

17. Sharon in Tahlequah, OK

I can't believe that I use to take up for the Clintons. Hillary didn't say that she and McCain were able to be comander-in-chief on day one, but Obama was not ready, either. I just dreamed that happened. I call that lying. What's wrong with these people?

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. donnajane

Poster boy for the conscientious objector..so, it's a bad thing to have a conscience ? Get a grip...

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. typical white person

Well, DID they play that card?

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. Frank

Why can't we get something more than this kind of media sensationalism?

How hard would it have been for CNN to simple give us a direct quote from President Clinton and information about its source?

Journalists today seem to prefer "factlets" to actual facts. Heads up, Obama. They are coming after you next.

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Willam from Texas

I'm willing to bet that everyone, and I mean everyone has had a gaffe of their own. I know for a fact that all of us here, and in the world has mis-related a story about some incident in their life. Does that make us all liars?

You idiots want to think that you are not capable of such things, but you are. You are no different than anyone else. If you had to speak as much as Bill or Hillary, or Obama, even McCain, you are bound to remember something in your life that didn't happen as you thought it did.

Get off your high horses. I've got news for you, the Clintons are human just like everyone else. You are looking for pefection when none exists within yourselves.

You want to see sorry? Look in the mirror.

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  22. Brenda, MO

He's gets up everyday, puts on a tie, looks presentable, then he opens his mouth. Does he really think he's helping?

I think not.

Obama 08

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  23. Giovani

Can anyone understand why Pres. Clinton plays these little games?

Is he bored, doesn't really want Hillary to win, or wants to "add"
    more sensationalism to his records.??

I am not for Obama by the way...So this in not the "Race Card" that he thought was played on him either.

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  24. mdg

Give Bill a break! It was late; he misspoke; he's 60. When you get to be 60 you'll understand!

I think Hill, Bill AND John all need to be checked for pre-Alzheimer's! When the phone rings in the WH at 3AM, would any of them remember where they left it?

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  25. Response to "The Truth"

That's funny, because Bill literally was a "conscientious objector" to Vietnam.

My oh my. Probably should be more careful about your accusations in the future.

April 22, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |